YARB (yet another random bug)

This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
[...]

That had better be enough. Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
might literally be doomed. Anyway, if you diehard fans have seen this
before, or know anything about it, or have random guesses better than
"He didn't like your face" (My appearance was 17), please tell me.
7 answers Last reply
More about yarb random
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Oh god...now I managed to kill waldenbrook with some arrows and after a
    few turns, the game crashed. Yet another promising character gone.
    BLECH!
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Kafubaruba wrote:

> [...]
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    > you.This may be spoily to some of you.
    > <...snip...>
    > I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
    > out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
    > I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile,

    One "random guess" - is it possible that your PC had (or perhaps had
    JUST obtained, while in the store) the "unholy aura" corruption?

    It's a longshot, but it's the only thing I can think of.

    -- Jeff
    -- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

    ...the so-called industrial revolution was just another
    hoax and we all fell for it, 'cause we were all
    programmed to. Even I fell for it. I believe in the
    steam engine, even though I don't believe in anything.
    - King Missile, "Ed"
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Kafubaruba wrote:

    > That had better be enough. Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
    > just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
    > candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
    > message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
    > something is wrong."

    Doesn't sound like a bug to me, since you got a specific message. My
    guess: did you have the poison hands corruption when you picked up the
    candy, thus lowering the value of the food and paying too little? Sounds
    weird, yes, but that's all I can think of right now.

    Besides, quote what you reply to, even if it was your own post. Read the
    RGRA FAQ.

    -Tapsa
    (TLD reversed)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    I can't see a reference to this message in the newsgroup archives

    Kafubaruba wrote:
    This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
    you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of

    > I was
    > just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
    > candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
    > message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
    > something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
    > shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
    > out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
    > I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
    > char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
    > might literally be doomed.

    "You get the feeling something is wrong."

    There are other "something odd happened when I was in or near a shop"
    posts. This one is exceptionally well reported. Usually the person
    gets asked what corruptions they had. The interaction of these with
    shoping seems not completely understood.

    The poison hands corruption would give you a message of "x glows in a
    sick green light". If the shopkeeper notices he says, "Ye'll have to
    pay for the damage", or more rarely "Thanks for enhancing the value of
    my wares." Same for the corruption that reduces the value of wands.

    I tried reducing the value of wares and then paying for something. The
    shopkeeper does not ask for the total bill but asks for the normally
    bought items bill first and stays in the doorway until you ask to pay
    again. He does not hint with a message that you owe more. If you
    offer to pay again, he then says you owe the merchants guild so much,
    and if you pay all of it (you can pay only a part) he moves from the
    doorway. If you teleport out of the shop he doesn't mind, even if you
    talk to him from outside the shop, but he stays there indefinately,
    blocking the doorway. If you are in the doorway when you spoil the
    wares he will move to the doorway when convenient. Other shopkeepers
    behave the same way. The bill doesn't appear to include amounts for
    items picked up while the shopkeeper is unaware of you (ie shoplifted
    stuff). At no point did any shopkeeper become hostile over the
    merchants guild fee.

    If you gain the unholy aura corruption while in the shop the shopkeeper
    doesn't seem to mind, even when you pay. As you exit the doorway he
    will give the usual message. After that if he sees you with the unholy
    aura outside the shop he will become hostile as usual ("Stop chasing
    away my customers!") The same applies if you have the unholy aura
    before you enter the shop but manage to get inside before the
    shopkeeper notices you have the aura (which might take a few turns).

    All of which does nothing at all to solve this problem. At any rate
    congratulations on finding the new message.

    At this stage I don't suppose you can recall what the message was
    before the dwarves were summoned? Were you accused of stealing
    something?
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Spolier space...

    .... enough.
    DavidByron <davidbyron20@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > If you gain the unholy aura corruption while in the shop the shopkeeper
    > doesn't seem to mind, even when you pay. As you exit the doorway he
    > will give the usual message. After that if he sees you with the unholy
    > aura outside the shop he will become hostile as usual ("Stop chasing
    > away my customers!") The same applies if you have the unholy aura
    > before you enter the shop but manage to get inside before the
    > shopkeeper notices you have the aura (which might take a few turns).

    I guess unholy aura works this way: Every turn a monster that sees
    you, has a chance to become scared. Normal citizens flee when scared.
    Guardians, village elders, and _probably_ other unique characters aren't
    scared of anything. If shopkeeper gets scared he reacts hysterically.
    I got "Stop chasing my customers!" and "Stop you thief!" messages
    when inside the shop with unholy aura corruption. Invisibility helps,
    but only a little.

    brojek.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Thanks.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 11 Jun 2005 07:58:36 -0700, "Kafubaruba" <kafubaruba@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    [spoilers: message in a shop]

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    >Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
    >just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
    >candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
    >message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
    >something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
    >shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
    >out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
    >I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
    >char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
    >might literally be doomed.

    You just paid to the wrong guy.

    The exact message is "Somehow you feel that something is wrong."

    Note that direction is asked only if the shopkeeper is not next to you
    and money is not accepted by the fellow customer with the extended pay
    command. You'd expect the shopkeeper to be at the doorway so perhaps
    you didn't notice in time it wasn't him standing there.

    The crash that later occurred is normal in g15 by the way. It's a very
    unstable version.
    --
    Pete
    www.soundclick.com/bands/6/petrisihvola_music.htm