YARB (yet another random bug)

Last response: in Video Games
June 11, 2005 11:58:36 AM

This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
[...]

That had better be enough. Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
might literally be doomed. Anyway, if you diehard fans have seen this
before, or know anything about it, or have random guesses better than
"He didn't like your face" (My appearance was 17), please tell me.

More about : yarb random bug

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:01:12 PM

Oh god...now I managed to kill waldenbrook with some arrows and after a
few turns, the game crashed. Yet another promising character gone.
BLECH!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:52:13 AM

Kafubaruba wrote:

> [...]
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
> you.This may be spoily to some of you.
> <...snip...>
> I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
> out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
> I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile,

One "random guess" - is it possible that your PC had (or perhaps had
JUST obtained, while in the store) the "unholy aura" corruption?

It's a longshot, but it's the only thing I can think of.

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

...the so-called industrial revolution was just another
hoax and we all fell for it, 'cause we were all
programmed to. Even I fell for it. I believe in the
steam engine, even though I don't believe in anything.
- King Missile, "Ed"
June 12, 2005 7:35:02 PM

Kafubaruba wrote:

> That had better be enough. Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
> just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
> candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
> message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
> something is wrong."

Doesn't sound like a bug to me, since you got a specific message. My
guess: did you have the poison hands corruption when you picked up the
candy, thus lowering the value of the food and paying too little? Sounds
weird, yes, but that's all I can think of right now.

Besides, quote what you reply to, even if it was your own post. Read the
RGRA FAQ.

-Tapsa
(TLD reversed)
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:57:48 PM

I can't see a reference to this message in the newsgroup archives

Kafubaruba wrote:
This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of
you.This may be spoily to some of you.This may be spoily to some of

> I was
> just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
> candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
> message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
> something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
> shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
> out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
> I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
> char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
> might literally be doomed.

"You get the feeling something is wrong."

There are other "something odd happened when I was in or near a shop"
posts. This one is exceptionally well reported. Usually the person
gets asked what corruptions they had. The interaction of these with
shoping seems not completely understood.

The poison hands corruption would give you a message of "x glows in a
sick green light". If the shopkeeper notices he says, "Ye'll have to
pay for the damage", or more rarely "Thanks for enhancing the value of
my wares." Same for the corruption that reduces the value of wands.

I tried reducing the value of wares and then paying for something. The
shopkeeper does not ask for the total bill but asks for the normally
bought items bill first and stays in the doorway until you ask to pay
again. He does not hint with a message that you owe more. If you
offer to pay again, he then says you owe the merchants guild so much,
and if you pay all of it (you can pay only a part) he moves from the
doorway. If you teleport out of the shop he doesn't mind, even if you
talk to him from outside the shop, but he stays there indefinately,
blocking the doorway. If you are in the doorway when you spoil the
wares he will move to the doorway when convenient. Other shopkeepers
behave the same way. The bill doesn't appear to include amounts for
items picked up while the shopkeeper is unaware of you (ie shoplifted
stuff). At no point did any shopkeeper become hostile over the
merchants guild fee.

If you gain the unholy aura corruption while in the shop the shopkeeper
doesn't seem to mind, even when you pay. As you exit the doorway he
will give the usual message. After that if he sees you with the unholy
aura outside the shop he will become hostile as usual ("Stop chasing
away my customers!") The same applies if you have the unholy aura
before you enter the shop but manage to get inside before the
shopkeeper notices you have the aura (which might take a few turns).

All of which does nothing at all to solve this problem. At any rate
congratulations on finding the new message.

At this stage I don't suppose you can recall what the message was
before the dwarves were summoned? Were you accused of stealing
something?
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:32:04 PM

Spolier space...

.... enough.
DavidByron <davidbyron20@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you gain the unholy aura corruption while in the shop the shopkeeper
> doesn't seem to mind, even when you pay. As you exit the doorway he
> will give the usual message. After that if he sees you with the unholy
> aura outside the shop he will become hostile as usual ("Stop chasing
> away my customers!") The same applies if you have the unholy aura
> before you enter the shop but manage to get inside before the
> shopkeeper notices you have the aura (which might take a few turns).

I guess unholy aura works this way: Every turn a monster that sees
you, has a chance to become scared. Normal citizens flee when scared.
Guardians, village elders, and _probably_ other unique characters aren't
scared of anything. If shopkeeper gets scared he reacts hysterically.
I got "Stop chasing my customers!" and "Stop you thief!" messages
when inside the shop with unholy aura corruption. Invisibility helps,
but only a little.

brojek.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:34:42 PM

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:10:22 PM

On 11 Jun 2005 07:58:36 -0700, "Kafubaruba" <kafubaruba@gmail.com>
wrote:

[spoilers: message in a shop]

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

>Yes, it's me again, posting because I was
>just attacked for buying candy. Yes, candy. I picked up a piece of
>candy in Waldenbrook's shop, went to the door, paid, and got the
>message: "You pay for the bit of plain candy. You get the feeling
>something is wrong." Trawled the GB, found nothing, so just left the
>shop. I had to switch places with a random dwarf in the doorway to get
>out, so Waldenbrook could have been trying to block the door...anyway,
>I left and he summoned muscular dwarves and became hostile, I'm a lvl17
>char in g15 so I'm pretty much doomed, especially since I was L+, now I
>might literally be doomed.

You just paid to the wrong guy.

The exact message is "Somehow you feel that something is wrong."

Note that direction is asked only if the shopkeeper is not next to you
and money is not accepted by the fellow customer with the extended pay
command. You'd expect the shopkeeper to be at the doorway so perhaps
you didn't notice in time it wasn't him standing there.

The crash that later occurred is normal in g15 by the way. It's a very
unstable version.
--
Pete
www.soundclick.com/bands/6/petrisihvola_music.htm