Inventory

Shawn

Does anyone know of a way to extract the service tag or express service code
from a PC to a file or something? We are doing this for inventory
purposes.

Thanks

> "Shawn" sperkins@ofc-wic.com

>Does anyone know of a way to extract the service tag or express service code
>from a PC to a file or something? We are doing this for inventory
>purposes.

Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:

Click
Start
All Programs
Dell Accessories
Express Service Code
Save to File

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Shawn

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> > "Shawn" sperkins@ofc-wic.com
>
> >Does anyone know of a way to extract the service tag or express service
code
> >from a PC to a file or something? We are doing this for inventory
> >purposes.
>
> Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
>
> Click
> Start
> All Programs
> Dell Accessories
> Express Service Code
> Save to File
>
> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the pros get their power!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images with
none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.

Shawn,

The service tag is embedded in the motherboard BIOS. SiSoft's Sandra would
undoubtedly reveal it, along with other BIOS info. If it's in the BIOS, it can
be found by a program, which is why the Dell Accessories software even works.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:04:19 GMT, "Shawn" <sperkins@ofc-wic.com> wrote:

>"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
>> > "Shawn" sperkins@ofc-wic.com
>>
>> >Does anyone know of a way to extract the service tag or express service
>code
>> >from a PC to a file or something? We are doing this for inventory
>> >purposes.
>>
>> Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
>>
>> Click
>> Start
>> All Programs
>> Dell Accessories
>> Express Service Code
>> Save to File
>>
>> --
>> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>>
>> See how the pros get their power!
>> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
>>

>Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images with
>none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.

Belarc PC Audit also pulls the service tag as a "serial number".

Stew

> Shawn,
>
> The service tag is embedded in the motherboard BIOS. SiSoft's Sandra
> would
> undoubtedly reveal it, along with other BIOS info. If it's in the BIOS,
> it can
> be found by a program, which is why the Dell Accessories software even
> works.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:04:19 GMT, "Shawn" <sperkins@ofc-wic.com> wrote:
>

>>"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

>>code
>>>
>>> Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
>>>
>>> Click
>>> Start
>>> All Programs
>>> Dell Accessories
>>> Express Service Code
>>> Save to File
>>>
>>> --
>>> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>>>
>>> See how the pros get their power!
>>> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
>>>

>>Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images with
>>none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Shawn wrote:

> "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
>
>>>"Shawn" sperkins@ofc-wic.com
>>
>>>Does anyone know of a way to extract the service tag or express service
>
> code
>
>>>from a PC to a file or something? We are doing this for inventory
>>
>>>purposes.
>>
>>Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
>>
>>Click
>> Start
>> All Programs
>> Dell Accessories
>> Express Service Code
>> Save to File
>>
>>--
>>"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>>
>>See how the pros get their power!
>>http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
>
> Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images with
> none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.

Is the Computer Name still the Service Tag? Might have been changed by
your clean OS install.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Look for Asset.com on dell web site, i think this can write the Tag No into
the BIOS for you.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Shawn wrote:
>
> > "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

> > code

> >>Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
> >>
> >>Click
> >> Start
> >> All Programs
> >> Dell Accessories
> >> Express Service Code
> >> Save to File
> >>
> >>--
> >>"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
> >>
> >>See how the pros get their power!
> >>http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
> >
> > Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images
with
> > none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.
>
> Is the Computer Name still the Service Tag? Might have been changed by
> your clean OS install.

---

Daniel

Shawn,

I know of 2 ways to manually get the service tag from a Dell computer.
First, the service tag is usually on a sticker on the outside of the
computer (on the bottom of notebooks and on the side of desktop
towers). Second, if you enter the BIOS setup screen before windows
starts (F2 on my Dell Inspiron 8100), on the main page of the BIOS
setup program the service tag will be listed. Both of these methods
would require you to manually go to each computer to get the service
tag. So if you have a large number of computers to inventory these
manual methods may not be practical. I don't know of a way to extract
the service tag to a file (either manually or automatically). Anyone
else that can help in that regard?

Daniel

But that's the opposite of what the original posting asked for... Ben Myers

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:16:02 +0000 (UTC), "danr" <dan@dan.com> wrote:

>Look for Asset.com on dell web site, i think this can write the Tag No into
>the BIOS for you.
>

>"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>> Shawn wrote:
>>
>> > "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

>> > code

>> > Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images
>with
>> > none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.
>>
>> Is the Computer Name still the Service Tag? Might have been changed by
>> your clean OS install.
>

>---

Shawn

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Shawn wrote:
>
> > "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message

> > code

> >>Assuming you are running Windows XP, this works with my Dimension 4550:
> >>
> >>Click
> >> Start
> >> All Programs
> >> Dell Accessories
> >> Express Service Code
> >> Save to File
> >>
> >>--
> >>"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
> >>
> >>See how the pros get their power!
> >>http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
> >
> > Thanks, you are right. We have all our PCs using a clean OS images
with
> > none of the Dell stuff on them. So back to the drawing board.
>
> Is the Computer Name still the Service Tag? Might have been changed by
> your clean OS install.

No we use company assest tags as our computer names.