YASD and introduction

Jan

First post so here's a bit about myself. I live in finland and I've played
ADOM on and off for what seems to be forever (at least g10 but maybe
earlier). Never had a single victory, but then again I haven't been spoiled
more than a few years and I've played quite little during those years.
Recently I've got my spark back and not before long the following happens...

So I'm playing a raven born hurthling monk. A very powerfull combination to
say the least. I find seven leaque boots at every turn and I'm swinging my
quicksilver quarterstaff with base DV somewhere around 90,. At about
haracter-level 24 I hit a bumb. Can't get past the damn piranhas. With all
the stuff and dozens of wands I have found (yes a treasure hunter), not a
single wand of cold.
So what do I do? Minotaurs - done, ToEF - done, Rift - insufficient
clinbing (and the gyu had a principle never to stray from the path of law,
so no quick way to train with Yergius). What the hell it seems like it's a
dive to the ID. Never met Malakai so Let's do that.
So there I go with speed of ~170 movement costing less than 400 energy,
DV over 100 (fighting defensively), PV ~30 and something like +50 to hit and
5d3 + 30 damage. Caryying with me the Rune covered trident and the
Wyrmlance, teleporting, controlling it, invisible, crowned with ring of
Immunity.
Now here's some of the monsters I met and defeated during my
descend(remenber I was around level 25 when I started):
Ancient karmic dragon(not a biggie with ring of immunity)
Great red wyrm (this one actually really got my blood boiling as he
destroyed my girdle of giant strenght)
Greater moloch (just annoying, on the same level as that darn great red
wyrm, and on the same level there would have been a tension room full of
Ghost kings; desided I didn't want to push my luck with that one)
Greater titan (actually the worst adversary I had as he was regularly
hitting with his quarrells doing massive damage)
And of course a big bunch of others not woth mentioning in the above
company. I did meet an Emperor Lich but gracefylly made my pardons for
disturbing him and left him be.
I also found the darn wand of cold. Now you can probably quess that
malakai died as I sneezed in his direction. I start coming up and on a level
57 meet a tencion room of mimics. I yawn and take them out one at a time
with my invisibility, not leting the greater ones to even try and hit me
(with my speed). I think twice before I deside to attack the hivemind but do
so anyway.
Now at this point I say in my defence that I had just done a 14 hour
work shift and was getting quite tired, just thought I'd quickly climb up
the ID before going to bed.
Now the mimic is critically injured, I'm doing my attack-step away
routine without any problems and I accidentallyt take a single step in the
wrong direction allowing the higly experienced hivemind to try and attack
me... and so there's a sad, quick and painless death.

Now the thing that's really eating me is that I have a backup after killing
Malakai, so I find myself trying to convince myself that I died only because
I was too tired so it's perfectly okay to try again from the backup. Then I
say to myself: You were stupid enough to play that tired now suffer the
consecuences... and so I do... and curse myself for being so stupid...

Ps. Yes I do sometimes think I'm taking this a bit too serious... and so did
probably my neighbors when I screamed "NO" at 4 am ;)

Jan (jan.heikel@welho.com) writes:
> First post so here's a bit about myself. I live in finland and I've
> played ADOM on and off for what seems to be forever (at least g10 but
> maybe earlier). Never had a single victory, but then again I haven't
> been spoiled more than a few years and I've played quite little
> during those years.

Always cool to have an old hand pop up (no matter how unskilled). ;)

Welcome to the group.

> So I'm playing a raven born hurthling monk. A very powerfull
> combination to say the least. I find seven leaque boots at every turn
> and I'm swinging my quicksilver quarterstaff with base DV somewhere
> around 90,.

I trust that you know monks are penalized for using weapons? Granted, you
did well, but you may have done better barehanded.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't claim to be a monk expert.

> Now the thing that's really eating me is that I have a backup after
> killing Malakai, so I find myself trying to convince myself that I
> died only because I was too tired so it's perfectly okay to try again
> from the backup. Then I say to myself: You were stupid enough to play
> that tired now suffer the consecuences... and so I do... and curse
> myself for being so stupid...

I applaud your conviction. You were overconfident, as we all usually are.
While there are few who would chew you out for savescumming (as that's a
personal choice), there are many who would if you posted a savescummed
victory.

I say, you did the right thing. Kudos.

> Ps. Yes I do sometimes think I'm taking this a bit too serious... and
> so did probably my neighbors when I screamed "NO" at 4 am ;)

It's safe to assume that we here on r.g.r.a. are all the same way.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

Jan

>> So I'm playing a raven born hurthling monk. A very powerfull
>> combination to say the least. I find seven leaque boots at every turn
>> and I'm swinging my quicksilver quarterstaff with base DV somewhere
>> around 90,.
>
> I trust that you know monks are penalized for using weapons? Granted, you
> did well, but you may have done better barehanded.

My DV would have been around 60 instead of over a 100 with bare hands and I
would have done only marginally more damage. And I'm pretty sure
quarterstaff is an exception anyway (what kind of a warriormonk doesn't use
a staff??).

Jan wrote:
> (...) I find myself trying to convince myself that I died only because
> I was too tired so it's perfectly okay to try again from the backup. Then I
> say to myself: You were stupid enough to play that tired now suffer the
> consecuences... and so I do... and curse myself for being so stupid...

Well... I just realised that *all* my characters die because I'm tired...
instead of going to bed: I start Adom and kill a promising character in ten
minutes.

> Now at this point I say in my defence that I had just done a 14 hour
> work shift and was getting quite tired, just thought I'd quickly climb up
> the ID before going to bed.

This is the most annoying way to die... when you're tired and you want to
finish something before you finally go to bed. This is exactly the way I lose
my characters.

> Ps. Yes I do sometimes think I'm taking this a bit too serious... and so did
> probably my neighbors when I screamed "NO" at 4 am ;)

This is normal, I scream every time my 7lb or girdle of giant strengh gets
destroyed. ;)

And after playing Adom for 11 days (about 10 hours every day) the letters and
symbols looked *much* more realistic that the people around me...

Kosma

PS. I just realised that my english is much worse than a year ago - I'm gonna
have to get some practise. :|

Previously-forgotten spoiler space:
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

> As far as the "Oh no, I could die next turn!" feeling goes, Gorgons
> definitely rate the highest on the panic-meter... mimic hiveminds at a
> close second.
>
> This is kind of ironic, because I've lost more characters to mimics than
> I have to gorgons. It's probably because I think "Hey, I can handle a
> puny little lowercase 'm'"... then I get paralyzed and die.

Blah, I appear to have forgotten spoiler space... I guess this qualifies
as non-standard information. Sorry about that... too bad I can't really

"Przemyslaw Brojewski" <brojek@kis.p.lodz.pl> wrote in message

> PS.

> spoiler
>
> space.
>

> Half a kingdom for potion of carrot juice. I've lost my only one
> to a ceiling trap in a ToEF. And there is that smell of carrots on
> D1, driving me nuts.

Well then, either scum the ID, or swap booze with Yggaz till you find one -
shouldn't take too long...

--
Darren Grey

koctyxa wrote:

> Yes, mimics are most scary monsters in the game. Maybe a survey?

My top 5:

1. Acid vortex
2. Giant dragon turtle
3. Stone ooze
4. Emperor lich
5. Minotaur Mage

-Tapsa

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
> Half a kingdom for potion of carrot juice. I've lost my only one
> to a ceiling trap in a ToEF. And there is that smell of carrots on
> D1, driving me nuts.

At least you know what to wish for. ;-)))

"T. Harkila" <tharkila@abo.if> wrote in message news:<db5pae$3th$1@bowmore.utu.fi>...
> koctyxa wrote:
>

> > Yes, mimics are most scary monsters in the game. Maybe a survey?
>

> My top 5:
>
> 1. Acid vortex
> 2. Giant dragon turtle
> 3. Stone ooze
> 4. Emperor lich
> 5. Minotaur Mage
>

> -Tapsa

Mine top 5 of scary monsters:
1. Mimics of all sort
2. Dark Elven Spider Factories of all sort
3. Kenny - i'm allways afraid i'll come too late
4. Stone ooze
5. Minotaur mages
Although i finished ADOM three times, I've never met emperor lich...
Yax

PH

Whats PoCJ good for?

"PH" <petr.hudecek@collapse.cz> wrote in message news:<db7viv$2p9q$1@news.vol.cz>...
> Whats PoCJ good for?
>

> > Half a kingdom for potion of carrot juice. I've lost my only one
> > to a ceiling trap in a ToEF. And there is that smell of carrots on
> > D1, driving me nuts.

As every potion... for drinking.
But this one is especially good for... spoily
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
As Andy Williams mentions in his Guidebook:
"Potions of carrot juice can be used to increase Perception. Drinking
a blessed potion of carrot juice will increase Perception by +1.
Drinking an uncursed potion of carrot juice may increase Perception if
the Pe score is very low; this needs to be tested. There is a special
room effect "The air of this room is filled with the smell of
carrots." which will cause a one-time +5 increase to Perception when a
blessed or uncursed potion of carrot juice is consumed while in the
room."
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/

Jan Krch??k wrote:
> "PH" <petr.hudecek@collapse.cz> wrote in message news:<db7viv$2p9q$1@news.vol.cz>...
>
>>Whats PoCJ good for?
>>

>>>Half a kingdom for potion of carrot juice. I've lost my only one
>>>to a ceiling trap in a ToEF. And there is that smell of carrots on
>>>D1, driving me nuts.
>

> As every potion... for drinking.
> But this one is especially good for... spoily
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> As Andy Williams mentions in his Guidebook:
> "Potions of carrot juice can be used to increase Perception. Drinking
> a blessed potion of carrot juice will increase Perception by +1.

....if it is below 20.

Malte

Jan Krch??k <Lord_Yax@email.cz> wrote:
> "PH" <petr.hudecek@collapse.cz> wrote in message news:<db7viv$2p9q$1@news.vol.cz>...
> > Whats PoCJ good for?
> >

> > > Half a kingdom for potion of carrot juice. I've lost my only one
> > > to a ceiling trap in a ToEF. And there is that smell of carrots on
> > > D1, driving me nuts.

> As every potion... for drinking.
> But this one is especially good for... spoily
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> As Andy Williams mentions in his Guidebook:
> "Potions of carrot juice can be used to increase Perception. Drinking
> a blessed potion of carrot juice will increase Perception by +1.
> Drinking an uncursed potion of carrot juice may increase Perception if
> the Pe score is very low; this needs to be tested. There is a special
> room effect "The air of this room is filled with the smell of
> carrots." which will cause a one-time +5 increase to Perception when a
> blessed or uncursed potion of carrot juice is consumed while in the
> room."

In the smelly case, cursed potions work just as well.
Time for a little correction?

brojek.

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:18:40 +0000 (UTC) Przemyslaw Brojewski (brojek@kis.p.lodz.pl) szumi:

>> > Yes, mimics are most scary monsters in the game. Maybe a survey?
> Ghost Kings.

indeed, these too.

koctyxa