I assume no WIN7 support for Intellistation Z Pro 6221?

robert1506

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Hi. I have an Intellistation Z Pro 6221, two 3.2GHz processors, 15K U320 SCSI drive, all works great. However, will need to do something for when XP Pro is no longer supported.

Problem is that the 6221 has no PCI-E slots.

Currently using a Matrox Parhelia 128 AGP video card. Seems no vendors are supporting AGP video cars with Win 7 drivers, nor are they supporting PCI-X (not PCI-E) video cards with driver support, either. Has my vintage Intellistation reached the end of the road since it won't take a PCI-E video card?

cl-scott

Honorable
I don't think nVidia or ATI/AMD's drivers will care at all if it's a PCI, PCI-X, PCI-E, or AGP card, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you've got an ATI/AMD or nVidia card, I would think you'd be fine, even with an AGP card. Otherwise, if you're not worried about gaming, you could probably just get a PCI card. A few still exist out there.

robert1506

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for your response. My experience is that even with the brands you mention, WIN7 driver support for AGP video cards is limited. I can't get by with a gaming card or a generic low-end card since I'm doing photo editing.

Almost seems like the math ($) points to buying a new computer with WIN7 already installed and with a (hopefully) good video card. Too bad because this Intellistation is a beautiful machine that will last forever.

Gewehr98

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I have 3 IntelliStation Z-Pro 6221s here, running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

I did put either Radeon HD4650 or HD4670 AGP video cards in them, and they've been working perfectly.

IIRC, the drivers were either Vista or Windows 7 by name on the AMD support website.

robert1506

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thank you!

I will look into this.