Sign in with
Your question

Good way to test CPU temp

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2000 1:37:37 AM

I am using Win2k, but this should work with any computer that has a CPU temp monitor.

Simply run your CPU monitor and Seti@home. Seti, even running in a window, consistently keeps your CPU at 100%. Max processor load. You can watch your Temp monitor and see what the temp maxes out at.

It is also a good stability test. If your system can run seti overnight at 100% CPU usage, and stay resonably cool, you should have a rock solid OC that won't kill your CPU.

More about : good test cpu temp

December 23, 2000 5:30:21 AM

Couldn't agree with you more.

I posted a question a while back asking for a recommendation for a (quiet) heatsink/fan for a TBird-900 so I'll just do a little follow up here while we're talking about cpu temp:

I run SETI@home full time as well so all these temps are pretty much a one week average with 100% processer load. The ambient temperature inside the case fluctuated daily between 22C and 24C, as measured by the m/b temperature sensor, but the average remained the same from week to week.

Got a ThermalTake chrome orb ($30) when I bought the computer. Average cpu temp was about 51C and the system crashed fairly regularly. The fan was noisy but bearable.

Called the store, the guys said it was running too hot and I should be using a Global-Win FOP-38 ($50). That cooled things down to about 47C and the system was stable. Unfortunately, the fan was so noisy I couldn't work at the computer.

Poked around the web and decided to try a CoolerMaster DP5-6H11 ($25). CPU temp 42C and it's inaudible behind the soft hum of my HDs and case fan (I have a silent power supply). O/cing to 1000 brings the temp up to 44C.

The other heatsink/fan that caught my eye was the Alpha PAL6035 but I couldn't find one in town.

Anyway, hope this info is of some use to someone and I apologize for taking this post off on a tangent.

- JW
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
December 23, 2000 7:20:21 PM

I am running SETI@home on an older machine and will be buying a AMD1000 in the new year.

What system do you have and how long does it take to process a SETI block? (as default screen saver)

Thanks

Gumby7
Related resources
December 24, 2000 5:33:56 AM

150hrs / workunit on a 486-100 24ram (don't laugh - it's the print server)
about 11hrs / workunit on a Celeron-500 64ram (laptop so it's hard to tell)
6.5hrs / workunit on a PIII-600 128ram (desktop, always on)
4.5hrs / workunit on a TBird-900 128ram (desktop, always on)

The desktops get used for other stuff during the day so that might affect the scores a little.

All computers are running Win98, SETIdriver with three workunits cached, the command line version of SETI@Home, and have full time (DSL) internet access to get new workunits (except the laptop).

-JW
December 24, 2000 6:06:02 AM

I don't think so!
I have 900 OC to 1gig Tbird (A7V)+ 256mb(cas2).
With the new version 3.03, it is taking around 8-9 hours (Win98).
Even with the old version my computer never did one under 5 hours.
Dose the command line version make that much difference?
December 24, 2000 6:38:18 AM

Command line version makes a huge difference. If you are using the windows version, click on advanced on the screen saver, and set 1 minute to blank screen. You will notice a huge difference in the time it takes.

On my old Celeron 333 I went from an average of 34 hours to an average of 22.
!