Going from ME to XP

Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
from ME to XP.
21 answers Last reply
More about going

    "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to XP.

    With regard to specifically what? Saving your old data/files? Difficulty or
    "how-to" of installation? Specific concerns about installation?

    buy a new drive and use it to install XP pro from scratch. use the ME to
    dual boot if you have stuff that won't work with XP.

    "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to XP.

    That's excellent advice. I don't know if you mean Inspiron 8100 or
    Dimension 8100, but XP runs flawlessly on our Dimension 8100

    Bill wrote:

    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to XP.

    Back up all of your data and do a clean install. NEVER upgrade an
    operating system.

    Bob

    I have an Dell Inspiron 8100 with 512 MB of RAM and Windows XP Pro
    runs very well on it. If you only have 256 MB of RAM or less, I'd
    suggest Windows 2000 Pro instead as Windows XP tends to be a memory
    hog.

    Daniel

    Bill <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message news:<4dm2h0ll2v36nsk5q887e3p1sdlq1ni9ht@4ax.com>...
    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to XP.

    XP's a pig, better to go to 2000.

    "CurlyQ" <CurlyQ@zippity-do-da.com> wrote in message
    > buy a new drive and use it to install XP pro from scratch. use the ME to
    > dual boot if you have stuff that won't work with XP.
    >
    > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > > from ME to XP.

    Hmm. Recommending a four year old operating system that has, at its core,
    the exact same code as the current, and supported, operating system.

    Nope. Don't agree.

    Have you run both on an 8100?

    I have. XP is significantly better. Faster. More peripherals. The list
    goes on and on.

    Tom
    "Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
    > XP's a pig, better to go to 2000.
    >
    > "CurlyQ" <CurlyQ@zippity-do-da.com> wrote in message
    > > buy a new drive and use it to install XP pro from scratch. use the ME
    > > dual boot if you have stuff that won't work with XP.
    > >
    > > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > > > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > > > from ME to XP.

    Bill <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote:

    >Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    >from ME to XP.

    You have received tons of advice, save one key element. The XP
    install disk, Home or Pro, comes with a compatibility checker
    that it advises you to run before installing XP, either as a
    clean install or as an upgrade over your previous Win OS. This
    will go through your system and find potential incompatibilities,
    in either drivers or programs.

    e.g., when I wanted to move my Dim L733r to XPPro from ME, it
    found that the Diamond video card I had installed needed an
    updated driver, and that a Dell "goodie" that came on the L733r
    would not work. Found an acceptable driver for the Diamond, a
    discontinued card; and in checking with Dell found that the
    reason the Dell "goodie" wasn't working was that Dell had
    discontinued supporting whatever the hell the "goodie" was
    supposed to be doing.

    I tend, also, to recommend a clean install rather than installing
    over the previous Win version. I did not do so in this case,
    because I had never really used the L733r, had not installed
    anything exotic on it beyond the normal productivity suites [MS
    Office, etc.]. Two + years later it still chugs merrily along in
    its backup role behind my D4400 primary machine.

    If you have had no problems with your 8100 under ME, you could
    probably get away with just upgrading as I did. But in true "do
    as I say, not as I did" fashion, I would still recommend a clean
    install - *after* you have run that WinXP compatibility check
    program.

    This is a main page at the MS web site for checking compatibility
    issues before deciding whether or not to go with Windows XP.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/compatibility/default.asp

    A prime tool touted on that page is the Upgrade Advisor.

    If you have not already bought XP, and thus have the Upgrade
    Advisor on the XP install disk, you can download it from
    Microsoft. It's a 50MB+ file, so DSL/cable internet would be
    handy for you to have to speed things up. There's a link on the
    page that can get you the download.
    --
    OJ III

    Have a look at this......

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp

    Andrew Carter wrote:

    > Have a look at this......
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp

    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I'm sticking with mine. NEVER
    upgrade and operating system.

    Bob

    No matter which Windows operating system upgrade one is attempting, it is best
    to do thorough research first, so there are no surprises. The history of
    Micro$oft's (non-)support of chips, cards, and devices over the evolution of
    Windows bears this out. Make note of each and every driver, chipset, and
    peripheral device in the system. Then go to the manufacturers' web site and
    verify that XP (in this case) drivers exist, either on the XPee CD or as a
    download. If you need to download the drivers, do so BEFORE installing XPee,
    burn the drivers onto a CD. Have the CD with drivers handy when installing the
    operating system. Once the basic operating system is installed, install the
    drivers from the CD you have burned. Start with the motherboard chipset
    drivers. Then do video, sound, and network drivers as required. Finally,
    install printer, scanner and any other drivers.

    You may find yourself with chips, cards, or devices which are "software
    obsolete" because there are no XPee drivers for them. If so, you have the
    choice of replacing the item or simply not installing XPee at all. Most often,
    a piece of hardware is software obsolete because the manufacturer has gone belly
    up or dropped XPee support for the device. Cirrus Logic video chips are not
    supported by XPee because the manufacturer no longer is in the video chip
    business. Avance Logic video chips are not supported by XPee, because Avance
    Logic is no more. Older HP scanners are often not supported by XPee because HP
    would rather that you buy a new el cheapo HP scanner. And so on.

    I cannot advocate an install of XPee on top of an existing Windows software
    installation. Micro$oft has crippled ALL of its Windows software installers so
    that you end up with essentially a black-and-white choice regarding the
    registry. You can either use the ENTIRE existing registry with all its warts
    and zits or use NONE of the existing registry. Because the registry is one of
    the contenders for the title of worst software implementation inside Windows,
    any defects in the previous Windows ME registry get copied over into the new
    registry. If the old registry is screwed up in any way, the new XPee registry
    will contain the same screwups. In other words, Micro$oft does not really want
    you to upgrade operating systems. No do the manufacturers of computers and
    peripherals. They want you to throw it all away and buy brand new... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:53:33 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Hmm. Recommending a four year old operating system that has, at its core,
    >the exact same code as the current, and supported, operating system.
    >
    >Nope. Don't agree.
    >
    >Have you run both on an 8100?
    >
    >I have. XP is significantly better. Faster. More peripherals. The list
    >goes on and on.

    I had the same theory about W2k vs. XP for quite some time myself. That
    was before I discovered most of XP's fluff, if not all can be taken out
    or turned off...

    With my old computer, a PIII 750MHz Slot 1 W2k was great, but if I
    enabled a "turbo" function in the BIOS that would bump the speed to
    789MHz (not a true over-clocking situation, it was meant for "testing")
    W2k would crash yet it would run just fine with XP.

    I like W2k and still have a old system with it but the days of W2k is
    better than XP are long over and found untrue.

    --
    Taylor

    Before you upgrade make sure you have all the necessary drivers for xp.
    Check you device manager to makes sure of what video and sound cards
    are in the system along with modem and NIC card. Then go to the dell site
    for the
    xp drivers for them. Download and save them. Xp will find certain ones but
    not all of them.
    A clean install would be the best way to go, oh and backup all your data
    files.
    If you upgrade you will most likely have to reinstall some the program
    files.
    "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to XP.

    In article <UigQc.3392$rX6.2945@trndny02>, robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net
    (Bob Levine) says...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > > from ME to XP.
    >
    > Back up all of your data and do a clean install. NEVER upgrade an
    > operating system.

    You got that right. The upgrade that MS sells crashes on at least 1/3
    of ME systems and won't install at all, and Microsoft refuses to accept
    returns on opened software. Even with a clean install, buy a copy of
    Norton System Works. My Dell arrived from the factory with over 300
    broken references in the XP registry. I assume Microsoft did it. One
    single 'security update' left over 40 broken references in the registry.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    By themselves, broken registry references may not cause any problems. For
    example, if one removes a program from the system, and the deinstall software
    does not remove registry references to the program, the broken registry
    references are somewhat benign.

    But they are symptomatic of the needless complexity (opacity?) of the registry
    data base itself and of the sloppiness that pervades what pretends to be
    software engineering at Microsoft. As a consequence, we are all stuck with an
    ever-growing and bloated registry, which contributes to ever-diminishing system
    performance... Ben Myers

    "Larry Caldwell" <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message
    > In article <UigQc.3392$rX6.2945@trndny02>, robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net
    > (Bob Levine) says...
    > > Bill wrote:
    > >
    > > > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > > > from ME to XP.
    > >
    > > Back up all of your data and do a clean install. NEVER upgrade an
    > > operating system.
    >
    > You got that right. The upgrade that MS sells crashes on at least 1/3
    > of ME systems and won't install at all, and Microsoft refuses to accept
    > returns on opened software. Even with a clean install, buy a copy of
    > Norton System Works. My Dell arrived from the factory with over 300
    > broken references in the XP registry. I assume Microsoft did it. One
    > single 'security update' left over 40 broken references in the registry.
    >
    > --
    > http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    You are aware that the upgrade version of XP can do a clean install?

    Tom

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:13:06 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    >> Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    >> from ME to XP.
    >

    >With regard to specifically what? Saving your old data/files? Difficulty or
    >"how-to" of installation? Specific concerns about installation?

    Saving old data files, and some good "how-to" instructions.

    > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:13:06 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    >>> Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    >>> from ME to XP.
    >>

    >>With regard to specifically what? Saving your old data/files? Difficulty
    >>or
    >>"how-to" of installation? Specific concerns about installation?
    >>

    > Saving old data files, and some good "how-to" instructions.\

    General info.on saving your files beforehand:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=How+to+back+up+your+data

    Clean install information for WindowsXP:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    hth

    Stew

    Bill wrote:

    > Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    > from ME to Xp.
    I have upgraded 4 e-machines and one dell 8100 from me to xp. All is still
    running smooth today and i didnt loose any data in the process. xp needs at
    least 512mb to run properly. i ran the compatibility checker first just to
    be sure. as long as you upgrade and dont do the format all data is still
    there. All five machines used to crash all the time and they dont any more.

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:04:03 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    Thanks!

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:49:18 -0500, Bill
    <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote:

    >Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
    >from ME to XP.

    Thanks to everyone, so good information to follow up on.

Dell Windows XP Computers