Sign in with
Your question

Starting Up // Computer Problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 6:34:59 AM

Hi.

I have a G61 series HP laptop, which I have been using for about 3 years now. Basically, my laptop has been having [overheating] issues for (I think) around 9 months now, and I did clean its air vents 3 times during these months when the problem started. It's not really a gaming laptop, but I still pretty much used it for 2 high-end MMO's at medium to lowest settings, other than just web browsing, video streaming, internet messaging, online calling. And then, during the last 1.5 months, I was getting some "black screen" just by streaming even the simplest of [YouTube] videos, running more than 2 programs (with Skype always open, MSN, or Firefox/Chrome, etc.), browsing a page for too long (Facebook, YouTube, etc.). When this happens, I just forcefully turn off my computer, and wait for a couple minutes. And when I turn it back on, I always select "Start Windows normally". *Knowing about my "black screen" issue, my computer activities became minimal with only Skype open, some light browsing as much as possible, and/or MSN.

Judging by what I've said so far, I'm quite careless and impatient in taking care of my laptop, don't you think? :na: 

So, what happened some hours ago was that I got a black screen, turned off the computer, and waited for a bit. I turned it back on, and basically got stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen. I think this happened before, but I would just reboot again and it'll be fine. Unfortunately, it didn't work this time, so I tried to repair at the 3rd reboot, but it was taking awhile that my laptop would just turn off. I tried to reboot the 4th time, waited at the "Starting Windows" screen, then it turned off again. I decided to leave it be for about an hour, came back to try again only to experience the same thing. I did notice it getting warm that quickly when I tried a couple more, even when I tried testing my hard drive (It didn't finish, because it turned off) and memory.

I don't think I have accepted yet, that it might be hopeless to fix this eventhough it probably is. I would like to know what could be the specific problem(s) of my laptop? If you think there's still hope, I'd appreciate some detailed advice on how to make my laptop be useable again. :??:  Thanks.

*EDIT, added info
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 1:30:28 PM

This sounds like a definite hardware failure to me. I cannot ascertain weather this is the video or hard drive or mobo that is failing but since you didn't your system specs I googled your system and the graphics card I would expect to overheat to the point of burning out if you are playing an high-end MMO even on low settings.

I am leaning toward your mobo/hdd as if it were your graphics card I would expect a BSOD... But if you have onboard graphics that leads you right back to the Mobo as the possible culplit. But I am not an expert.. I would love to hear an expert POV

Running Skype with Chrome and Firefox are resource hogs and will naturally make your laptop hot.. Facebook and Youtube are heavy on media which stresses Video a lot and will eat up your RAM like the Cookie Monster at Chips Ahoy.. Causing heat resulting in defective hardware..

The fact that the system simply shuts down during boot makes me think the battery might be loose? But I am assuming your power is plugged in anyway. Try without the battery perhaps..

My Opinion:

1. I think the system might be toast but if you can pull out your HDD and recover data then the HDD should be in good health. Try connecting to an external drive bay and using Crystal Disk Info and check the health and S.M.A.R.T. data..

2. Try taking out the RAM and testing it in another system or perhaps a friend has the tools to check it.

3. Your Graphics/Mobo very well might have been fried

4. If you ever get this system up and running again then download and use CPU/GPU/HDD Monitering tools such as Core Temp/TechPower GPU-Z/Crystal Disk Info respectively and monitor the temps.

As I do not know your system model and don't want to suggest what temperatures to look for yet.
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:19:05 PM

Quote:
This sounds like a definite hardware failure to me. I cannot ascertain weather this is the video or hard drive or mobo that is failing but since you didn't your system specs I googled your system and the graphics card I would expect to overheat to the point of burning out if you are playing an high-end MMO even on low settings.

I am leaning toward your mobo/hdd as if it were your graphics card I would expect a BSOD... But if you have onboard graphics that leads you right back to the Mobo as the possible culplit. But I am not an expert.. I would love to hear an expert POV

I can't accurately remember the specs, but I have AMD Athlon dual-core processor 2.x GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4xxxx (I forgot exactly).

Quote:
Running Skype with Chrome and Firefox are resource hogs and will naturally make your laptop hot.. Facebook and Youtube are heavy on media which stresses Video a lot and will eat up your RAM like the Cookie Monster at Chips Ahoy.. Causing heat resulting in defective hardware..

Yeah, which is why I have been browsing the web as lightly as possible, after some constant "black screens", especially that Skype with an active call causes high CPU usage.

Quote:
The fact that the system simply shuts down during boot makes me think the battery might be loose? But I am assuming your power is plugged in anyway. Try without the battery perhaps..

My Opinion:

1. I think the system might be toast but if you can pull out your HDD and recover data then the HDD should be in good health. Try connecting to an external drive bay and using Crystal Disk Info and check the health and S.M.A.R.T. data..

2. Try taking out the RAM and testing it in another system or perhaps a friend has the tools to check it.

3. Your Graphics/Mobo very well might have been fried

4. If you ever get this system up and running again then download and use CPU/GPU/HDD Monitering tools such as Core Temp/TechPower GPU-Z/Crystal Disk Info respectively and monitor the temps.

As I do not know your system model and don't want to suggest what temperatures to look for yet.

Yes, I have the power plugged, and the battery isn't loose, but not sure yet about trying without the battery. What I don't understand is that how is my laptop able to boot until the "Starting Windows" screen, where it gets stuck until if it decides to turn off. If the problem is either my graphics card or mobo, can a computer really turn on like that but not load?

I'm probably going to try have someone open it to check, even if it's maybe hopeless already. :??: 
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 6:38:10 PM

on another pc try buring a hirem boot cd and try booting from hirem mini xp on the cd. if it does boot and not shut off it may be the hard drive. if the laptop does shut off from hirem mini xp boot then it could be the thermal paste went bad on the cpu or the video chipset. on most laptops it solider onto the mb. i would check with hp about looking to see if your laptop is one that was covered under a class action lawsuit between people and nvidia over bad gpu chips that ended up on laptop motherboards.
some class action releaf was hp replacing the system boards on laptops that fell withing a date code range.
other got whole new laptops from vendors.
http://www.techspot.com/news/43614-customers-get-shafte...
m
l
January 3, 2013 7:07:31 PM

smorizio said:
on another pc try buring a hirem boot cd and try booting from hirem mini xp on the cd. if it does boot and not shut off it may be the hard drive. if the laptop does shut off from hirem mini xp boot then it could be the thermal paste went bad on the cpu or the video chipset. on most laptops it solider onto the mb. i would check with hp about looking to see if your laptop is one that was covered under a class action lawsuit between people and nvidia over bad gpu chips that ended up on laptop motherboards.
some class action releaf was hp replacing the system boards on laptops that fell withing a date code range.
other got whole new laptops from vendors.
http://www.techspot.com/news/43614-customers-get-shafte...

I can try your first suggestion. I have an ATI graphics card though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 8:33:44 PM

xsarah said:
Quote:

Yes, I have the power plugged, and the battery isn't loose, but not sure yet about trying without the battery. What I don't understand is that how is my laptop able to boot until the "Starting Windows" screen, where it gets stuck until if it decides to turn off. If the problem is either my graphics card or mobo, can a computer really turn on like that but not load?

I'm probably going to try have someone open it to check, even if it's maybe hopeless already. :??: 
Quote:

That might have been the clue I missed earlier. My mistake I am beside myself. Any who, so while Windows is attempting to boot and it has the pretty Windows Logo as it boots - that is when it shuts off? If so then I would put my money on the HDD being defective. If you can extract the hard drive and put it in any system as a secondary drive you can run a check disk on it or better yet, recover critical data ASAP.

I had a similar issue that I didn't dig deeper into finding what happened to the partitions I just wiped the drive completely and reloaded Windows on a single fresh fully formatted partition with the same drive and it has worked flawlessly the past few months. I didn't have any data to recover from that drive so I didn't attempt any recovery but it should be readable when booted off another working machine.

Either installed to the motherboard or via external drive bay/enclosure will do perfect (and all the same)

All the best

-SeattleITguy

m
l
!