Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a bluetooth phone for PalmOS

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:42:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Requirements:
1. GSM 850 for roaming.
2. GPRS data via bluetooth on T-Mobile USA.
3. External Antenna port.
4. Send and receives SMS via bluetooth.
5. PALM OS Compatible.
6. Phone holder for car kit.

Moto V600 supposedly fails #4.

Siemens S56 fails on #2 and #6 (I have one of these, but don't like the
tinny sound either).

Ericsson R520m fails #1 (I have one of these and really like it).
I would prefer a phone I can buy new without a plan.

More about : bluetooth phone palmos

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:36:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

klugja@hotmail.com napsal(a):
> Requirements:
> 1. GSM 850 for roaming.
> 2. GPRS data via bluetooth on T-Mobile USA.
> 3. External Antenna port.
> 4. Send and receives SMS via bluetooth.
> 5. PALM OS Compatible.
> 6. Phone holder for car kit.
>
> Moto V600 supposedly fails #4.
>
> Siemens S56 fails on #2 and #6 (I have one of these, but don't like the
> tinny sound either).

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but right now I'm connected via
GPRS and through BT :-) And yes, it's an S55. Or did you mean S65?
Mark
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:20:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Marek Stanek wrote:
> klugja@hotmail.com napsal(a):
> > Requirements:
> > 1. GSM 850 for roaming.
> > 2. GPRS data via bluetooth on T-Mobile USA.
> > 3. External Antenna port.
> > 4. Send and receives SMS via bluetooth.
> > 5. PALM OS Compatible.
> > 6. Phone holder for car kit.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but right now I'm connected
via
> GPRS and through BT :-) And yes, it's an S55. Or did you mean S65?
> Mark
Siemens S56 is similar to S55 but is for North America with GSM 850
(800) and GSM 1900 (no 800 and no 1800). Unfortunately, this phone
exists in only two firmware. One for Cingular, and one for AT&T(now
Cingular). I have the AT&T version.

This phone will not connect via data.

With the R520M, you add a data account, the phone selects and dispays a
CID (say CID=2), and you enter the APN, internet2.voicestream.com in my
case. Voicestream being the old name for T-Mobile USA. You the dial
*99***2# to get CID 2.

With the S56, you are supposed to enter the CID in the dialer string,
apparently. For T-Mobile USA the configuration is:

>From provider.pbk (windows file in Siemens GPRS program):

108,1,,T-Mobile,,*99***1#,0,0,0,32,

>From provider.ini:

[T-Mobile]
IP_ADDRESS=
DNS_PRIMARY=
DNS_SECONDARY=
WINS_PRIMARY=
WINS_SECONDARY=
AT_INIT_1=
AT_INIT_2=AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"
AT_INIT_3=AT^SGAUTH=3
USERNAME=Siemens
PASSWORD=M46
AskUsername=0

But this might assume one has an M46. If one has AT&T the APN and CID
are not provided:

95,1,,AT&T Wireless,,*99#,0,0,0,32,

[AT&T Wireless]
IP_ADDRESS=
DNS_PRIMARY=
DNS_SECONDARY=
WINS_PRIMARY=
WINS_SECONDARY=
AT_INIT_1=
AT_INIT_2=
AT_INIT_3=AT^SGAUTH=3
USERNAME=
PASSWORD=
AskUsername=0

Maybe the AT&T S56 phone has the APN built in and you cannot change it?

If anyone has any ideas, I would like to try it. The phone works fine
via its internal browser with T-Mobile USA.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:43:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

klugja@hotmail.com wrote:
> >From provider.pbk (windows file in Siemens GPRS program):
>
> 108,1,,T-Mobile,,*99***1#,0,0,0,32,
If I run the Siemens GPRS dialer, I have no idea how to capture a log
file. If I run the Windows dialer, and save a log, the Ericsson
connection log ends as follows (with a good connection):
02-05-2005 01:21:06.68 - Send: ATD*##***##<cr>
02-05-2005 01:21:07.73 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT<cr><lf>
02-05-2005 01:21:07.73 - Interpreted response: Connect
02-05-2005 01:21:07.73 - Connection established at 115200bps.
02-05-2005 01:21:07.73 - Error-control off or unknown.
02-05-2005 01:21:07.73 - Data compression off or unknown.

The funny thing is the number was supposed to be:
*99***2#, not *##***##

Now the bad log from the Siemens phone:
02-05-2005 01:27:31.81 - Send:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"<cr>
02-05-2005 01:27:31.89 - Recv:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"<cr>
02-05-2005 01:27:31.89 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
02-05-2005 01:27:31.89 - Interpreted response: Ok
02-05-2005 01:27:31.89 - Dialing.
02-05-2005 01:27:31.89 - Send: ATD*##***##<cr>
02-05-2005 01:27:31.94 - Recv: ATD*99***1#<cr>
02-05-2005 01:27:32.44 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT<cr><lf>
02-05-2005 01:27:32.44 - Interpreted response: Connect
02-05-2005 01:27:32.44 - Connection established at 57600bps.
02-05-2005 01:27:32.44 - Error-control off or unknown.
02-05-2005 01:27:32.44 - Data compression off or unknown.
02-05-2005 01:28:01.75 - Remote modem hung up.
02-05-2005 01:28:01.75 - Recv: <cr><lf>NO CARRIER<cr><lf>
02-05-2005 01:28:01.75 - Interpreted response: No Carrier

When dial up network is running, it looks like it gets stuck on
"Verifying user-id and password", but there is no user-id or password.
February 5, 2005 1:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 4 Feb 2005 23:43:45 -0800, klugja@hotmail.com wrote:

> The funny thing is the number was supposed to be:
> *99***2#, not *##***##

That just looks like the dialer software is masking the dialed
digits written to the log for security purposes. Was the "2" a typo
on your part or what it's supposed to be? It shows up as a "1" in
two other places in your message:

>> 108,1,,T-Mobile,,*99***1#,0,0,0,32,
and
> 02-05-2005 01:27:31.94 - Recv: ATD*99***1#<cr>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:26:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

klugja@hotmail.com napsal(a):
(...)
> Siemens S56 is similar to S55 but is for North America with GSM 850
> (800) and GSM 1900 (no 800 and no 1800). Unfortunately, this phone
(snip some 70 lines)
> If anyone has any ideas, I would like to try it. The phone works fine
> via its internal browser with T-Mobile USA.

A little too complex way of connecting to the net. Here in Europe we
only need 1 simple initstring (AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet" ... 1 for
connecting to GPRS, IP for TCP/IP, internet for provider's APN), and a
GPRS dial command ATD*99***1# and that's all. No more hassle, except the
bill.
Mark

--
The last easy day was yesterday.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

BillB wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2005 23:43:45 -0800, klugja@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > The funny thing is the number was supposed to be:
> > *99***2#, not *##***##
>
> That just looks like the dialer software is masking the dialed
> digits written to the log for security purposes. Was the "2" a typo
> on your part or what it's supposed to be? It shows up as a "1" in
> two other places in your message:
>
The "2" is on the R520m Sony Ericsson phone, which tells you in its
menu which APN/accounts correspond to which CID #'s. The 2 is the CID.
CID 1 is for WAP the way my Sony/Ericsson phone is configured.

With the Siemens phone I have tried 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and I think 6. A
CID of 1 gets the furthest. The others get an invalid response right
away. Its too bad you can't get the S56 with generic firmware.

By the way I have tried the S56 with both a cable, bluetooth, and IR,
and all get the same results. I can send and retrieve text messages
via bluetooth just fine, and T-Mobile's WAP works with the phone's
browser too.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:36:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I think the only difference between what the dialer program attempted
and you string is the APN (except the big difference that yours works
and mine doesn't).

T-Mobile USA:
internet2.voicestream.com

Europe:
internet
!