I'm sorry - this is an incredibly stupid question

G

I am not the most technical person, but I was wondering if someone could answer me a simple question. I was looking to purchase a PIII 700 Slot 1 CPU online. However, I'm not sure how to tell if a CPU is a Slot 1.

When reading the specifications for CPU's, is a Slot 1 cpu called a "FCPGA" or an "SECC2"?

I thought one of those terms refered to a Slot 1 cpu and the other a Socket 370 cpu.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

G

No need to apolgize.

Slot-1 = SECC2 (looks like a miniature VHS tape)

FCPGA = a socket cpu.

FYI, if you're new to purchasing online, I'd check out the vendor and see whether it is listed and rated at <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com</A>, which displays buyers' reviews of certain online retailers. I wouldn't trust just a few "good" ratings, as the vendor could be cheating. But a few "bad" ratings is indicative of a problem with that vendor.

Also, if you're not planning on overclocking and just want it to work, make sure you get a retail (also called "boxed") CPU as opposed to an OEM CPU.

The retail comes in an Intel box (suprise) and has a built on heatsink and fan. It also comes with a 3-year warranty.

The OEM is just a CPU, you'll have to buy a separate heatsink and fan, and install it yourself. Warranties for OEM CPUs vary, but frequently last for 30-60 days.

Feel free to ask more question.

Mike

G

Thank you sooo much MikeM :)

I appreciate all your info (especially the website ranking place). I am purchasing it using www.pricewatch.com and had no idea which retailers were good ones. The OEM info was helpful as well. I did not know that OEM merchanise did NOT come with Heatsinks or fans. I will definately purchase the retail (boxed) products. You have been especially helpful. Thanks again :)

Happy Holidays :)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be sure to call vendor and confirm all parts are in stock before ordering. don't let anyone direct you to order from website. If part is not in stock, go somewhere else or you could be waiting on 1 part holding up your order forever because they all seem to lose the order once they have your cash. Getting call backs is nearly impossible.

Call daily to check status of order till you get a tracking number. STAY ON THEM!!