Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2000 1:02:54 AM

Running a Tbird 900 at 1000 with a PAL HS/Fan. Normal operating temp is 31C. After play Q3 for about 1/2 hour the CPU temp is 50C. System is totally stable and within a few minutes it drops back into the low 30's. OS is Win2k, SP1. Is this a normal heat range?

More about : tbird heat range

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2000 2:03:04 AM

Usually not, most socket A mb's(due to temp reading issues-see sig) range about 5-10C between idle and full load temp.

But, then again, it depends on what mb you are using. Are you possibly using an A7V, or A7pro?

Mike

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/socketatemps" target="_new">Socket A MBs: Temperature Accuracy and Comparison Issues</A>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2000 8:20:20 PM

ABIT KT7-RAID
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2000 10:59:07 PM

Hmm... your temps aren't horrible, but they aren't that good either. Are you possibly using an older ALPHA, with a socket 370 clip?

mike

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/socketatemps" target="_new">Socket A MBs: Temperature Accuracy and Comparison Issues</A>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2000 5:07:11 AM

PAL6035MUC
It doesn't take a lot of effort to clip it on, maybe it's not tight enough. The clip seems pretty flimsy - I guess I could bend it to get a little more spring. Hate to mess with it though since it is stable. Get the same temp readings at 900 or 1100, so Just wondered if a 20C heat variation was normal.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2000 6:15:44 AM

do you have apci running?
I have a similar setup as you with win2000 os. I disabled apci because it was putting like 6 of my devices on the same irq and causing lock ups. Before I disabled it I had almost the exact same temperature range as you, low 30's to high 40's. Immediately afterwards I noticed that my idle temp went up to about 40c but the funny thing is that my loaded temp dropped a couple degrees as well. Anyway, I think acpi might control the power to the cpu causing it to cool down further when idle (but I could be wrong).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2000 5:04:31 PM

Blindside,
I have basically the same configuration that you do. I have a TB 900 and an Abit KT7-RAID. My idle temps are normally 3-5 degrees Celsius about my case temp. After playing Quake3 or Half-life, etc. my maximum temp gets into the low 50s. I have not had any stability problems though. I am using an AMD fan that came with the processor, however, I did buy a Global-WIN FOP32 because they were rated really well. Honestly, the Global-WIN didn't do any better job cooling than the original fan. So, I went back to the original. I am using thermal paste by the way... Personally I think that Athlons just run hotter than most other processors, but I don't think that a fluctuation in temperature is really anything to be worried about. As long as your temp isn't getting any hotter than it is now, I wouldn't give it too much thought. However, if you want to reduce your maximum temp, I would try concentrating on getting the case temp down as low as possible. You might consider adding extra fans, especially if you have a large case. If you find any miracle solution that greatly reduces your temp, let me know!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2000 12:42:05 AM

Yes, ACPI is enabled. 7 devices on irq 11 (sblive, 2 usb controllers, 2 nics, and the HPT370 controller). Only problem has been with USB powering off a Kingston CF reader - have to leave it unplugged unless I need it.

ACPI is a whole different topic - not sure which way to go. I read good and bad - seems a lot of people with VIA chipsets have problems with it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2000 1:47:25 AM

if it were reading temps from the cpu core, a 20C difference would not be unheard of for a socket a chip(going from idle to full load). but since it measures temp at a secondary pathway, and results are often compressed, it is unusual. I would tighten the alpha clip, as it seems that you have an older fc p3 clip.

Mike