inability to repair wireless network

Recently I accepted some security updates from
Microsoft...since then I am unable to establish a
wireless connection with my router. I already uninstalled
service pack 2 last week, but since the newer updates
this problem is occurring. When I type "ipconfig" at the
DOS prompt, I get

169.254.152.244

I know this means the wireless connection is not working,
so how to fix it?? I have Windows XP, I'm using the MN-
700 with the MN-720.

Before this mess things were doing just fine.

Any ideas??
4 answers Last reply
More about inability repair wireless network

    Stop using the BNU (Broadband Network Utility) to configure your
    wireless connection.

    Perry wrote:
    > Recently I accepted some security updates from
    > Microsoft...since then I am unable to establish a
    > wireless connection with my router. I already uninstalled
    > service pack 2 last week, but since the newer updates
    > this problem is occurring. When I type "ipconfig" at the
    > DOS prompt, I get
    >
    > 169.254.152.244
    >
    > I know this means the wireless connection is not working,
    > so how to fix it?? I have Windows XP, I'm using the MN-
    > 700 with the MN-720.
    >
    > Before this mess things were doing just fine.
    >
    > Any ideas??

    assistance.

    time.

    Perry, sometimes this issue is as simple as the router/base station having a
    hiccup. Have you tried powering it off for a couple minutes and then
    restoring the power to see if the proper DHCP feed is then sent?

    You can also try using the "ipconfig /release" (without quotes) in the
    Command Prompt, followed by "ipconfig /renew" (no quotes, again) to see if
    it'll kick the process back in again.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Perry" <perwei@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Recently I accepted some security updates from
    > Microsoft...since then I am unable to establish a
    > wireless connection with my router. I already uninstalled
    > service pack 2 last week, but since the newer updates
    > this problem is occurring. When I type "ipconfig" at the
    > DOS prompt, I get
    >
    > 169.254.152.244
    >
    > I know this means the wireless connection is not working,
    > so how to fix it?? I have Windows XP, I'm using the MN-
    > 700 with the MN-720.
    >
    > Before this mess things were doing just fine.
    >
    > Any ideas??

    I had this same problem after I installed XP SP2, and
    prior to that I had the problem when Windows Update
    installed this patch: KB826942. Essentially, though you
    have entered the WEP key correctly, you get connection
    for about 10 seconds, then get dropped and the networking
    utility says you have the wrong WEP key.

    Below is the fix (just discovered on my own after hours
    of research and 5 fruitless Microsoft support tickets).
    I found this fix in the Microsoft support knowledge
    database published as Q313242. If you find that article
    at microsoft.com you will get more detail than I will put
    here.

    You need to disable Wireless Zero Configuration, which is
    apparently a change in Windows networking that was
    installed with XP SP2 to allow use of stronger encryption
    for a variety of wireless adapters. To find this option,
    you need to open Computer Manager, double click Services
    and Applications, click Services, in the list on the
    right find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click it,
    then cllick Properties. In the Startup Type box, click
    Disabled, then click OK and reboot your computer. This
    fixed it for me - finally!! Too bad the XP SP2 help desk
    doesn't read the Knowledge Database!

    Your recommendation is for issues with drivers which don't support Wireless
    Zero Configuration, which is not the case with Microsoft's devices and the
    latest update for the products available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx In
    the case of the connect/disconnect/reconnect/disconnect scenario, that is
    very common where 802.1x authentication has been invoked by the user when it
    isn't in use.
    --

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had this same problem after I installed XP SP2, and
    > prior to that I had the problem when Windows Update
    > installed this patch: KB826942. Essentially, though you
    > have entered the WEP key correctly, you get connection
    > for about 10 seconds, then get dropped and the networking
    > utility says you have the wrong WEP key.
    >
    > Below is the fix (just discovered on my own after hours
    > of research and 5 fruitless Microsoft support tickets).
    > I found this fix in the Microsoft support knowledge
    > database published as Q313242. If you find that article
    > at microsoft.com you will get more detail than I will put
    > here.
    >
    > You need to disable Wireless Zero Configuration, which is
    > apparently a change in Windows networking that was
    > installed with XP SP2 to allow use of stronger encryption
    > for a variety of wireless adapters. To find this option,
    > you need to open Computer Manager, double click Services
    > and Applications, click Services, in the list on the
    > right find Wireless Zero Configuration, right click it,
    > then cllick Properties. In the Startup Type box, click
    > Disabled, then click OK and reboot your computer. This
    > fixed it for me - finally!! Too bad the XP SP2 help desk
    > doesn't read the Knowledge Database!

Routers Wireless Network Microsoft Networking