YAGBU: Neutral god summons rats when annoyed

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

I have a level 15 orcish beastfighter. He started of Chaotic, through
Terinyo quests he gets to N-. I start wearing the amulet of law. When I
am up to N+, I get to dwarftown (wasn't thinking there...should have
waited till LN), so a neutral altar is generated. I go do the quests,
get up to NL by the end of the third quest. After four quests+the
graveyard, I am at L-. I find a neutral altar on CoC shortcut level
(didn't go there when I first went into the CoC), convert it to law no
problem. I sac on the lawful altar untill I get inner peace, then go
back to dwarftown to collect the graveyard prize.

I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
just undocumented?

P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?
9 answers Last reply
More about yagbu neutral summons rats annoyed
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    [snip chaotic character becoming lawful, and a neutral Dwarftown altar]

    > I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
    > altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
    > everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
    > maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
    > those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
    > one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
    > everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
    > on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
    > dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
    > off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
    > my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
    > more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
    > my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
    > rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
    > The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
    > pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
    > just undocumented?

    It does appear to be undocumented, though I've had it happen as well.

    Do you have the messages? A recent enough .svg to experiment with?

    And out of curiousity, why were you dropping stuff on a non-aligned altar?

    > P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
    > monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?

    *blinks* Hrm. Not sure. IIRC friendly blink dogs attacking something
    else generally summon blink dogs which are at least neutral towards you,
    but I'm afraid that's all I recall on the matter.

    Love and coffee,
    Frances
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ...
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ...
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ...
    ..

    [Snip introduction story and rat-summoning story]

    I've gotten the rat-summoning before from accidentally extend-dropping
    on an unaligned altar, and my brother got it for the first time
    yesterday (he too thought there was a wererat in the area). I think it
    may have to do something with your character level or something, because
    summoning Grey Slayers when you are level 15 would kill you off
    instantly... although that is kind of what the diety wants...

    Anywho, I think it may be level-related, but I can't say for sure.

    Another question (more spoilers, so beware!):

    I was reading some back-posts about the Guidebook warning not to pray on
    the Chaos Plane, due to Greater Balors being summoned... but I remember
    reading a few posts stating that that may have been due to their diety
    being at the pissed-off "summon" level, not just because they're on the
    Chaos Plane... I don't remember if that was ever resolved. Does anyone
    have information on that?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 26 Jul 2005 07:49:13 -0700, Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

    > After four quests+the graveyard, I am at L-.

    There's an "L-"? I don't think I've ever seen that (nor "C+" for
    that matter) - how did you get to that piety level?

    -- Jeff
    -- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ...the so-called industrial revolution was just another
    hoax and we all fell for it, 'cause we were all
    programmed to. Even I fell for it. I believe in the
    steam engine, even though I don't believe in anything.
    - King Missile, "Ed"
    --------------------------------------------------------------
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-07-26, Frances Moffatt <torrain@rogers.com> wrote:
    > Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >
    > [snip chaotic character becoming lawful, and a neutral Dwarftown altar]
    >
    >> I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
    >> altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
    >> everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
    >> maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
    >> those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
    >> one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
    >> everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
    >> on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
    >> dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
    >> off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
    >> my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
    >> more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
    >> my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
    >> rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
    >> The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
    >> pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
    >> just undocumented?
    >
    > It does appear to be undocumented, though I've had it happen as well.
    >
    > Do you have the messages? A recent enough .svg to experiment with?
    >
    > And out of curiousity, why were you dropping stuff on a non-aligned altar?
    >

    One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
    aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
    becomes cursed, rats appear, or "you hear a distant rumble" (iirc). Of
    these I suppose the rats could be useful but I've mostly used this to
    curse things: occasionally water, usually morgia root. (Must... stop...
    herb scumming...)

    njm
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1122389353.891900.128310@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...

    > P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
    > monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?

    I recall that friendly (not tame, but so friendly the game asks for
    attack confirmation) claw bug created several also friendly
    'brothers'. The same with blink dogs. (But then i ate one of their
    corpses before them and that was the end of our friendship.) So, if i
    want to generalize, i think that monster summons/breeds are at the
    same 'friend level' as their originator...
    Yax the Cat-Eater
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Jan Krch??k wrote:
    > Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1122389353.891900.128310@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
    >
    >
    >>P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
    >>monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?
    >
    >
    > I recall that friendly (not tame, but so friendly the game asks for
    > attack confirmation) claw bug created several also friendly
    > 'brothers'. The same with blink dogs. (But then i ate one of their
    > corpses before them and that was the end of our friendship.) So, if i
    > want to generalize, i think that monster summons/breeds are at the
    > same 'friend level' as their originator...
    > Yax the Cat-Eater


    I have tamed claw bugs before. When they spawn, they create neutral or
    hostile claw bugs (if I remember correctly). I do know that some of my
    tame claw bugs have been killed by their own offspring when said
    offspring decided to attack me.

    I have no idea about gremlins or oozes.

    -Ryan
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    rat@athei.st wrote:
    >>
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.
    >>.

    > One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
    > aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
    > becomes cursed, rats appear,

    Hang on, for the sake of utter clarity:

    Rats may appear when you do this on any unaligned altar? I always
    assumed it just happened on a neutral one, since they're neutral creatures.

    L&c,
    F
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-07-27, Frances Moffatt <torrain@rogers.com> wrote:
    > rat@athei.st wrote:
    >>>
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >>>.
    >
    >> One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
    >> aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
    >> becomes cursed, rats appear,
    >
    > Hang on, for the sake of utter clarity:
    >
    > Rats may appear when you do this on any unaligned altar? I always
    > assumed it just happened on a neutral one, since they're neutral creatures.

    Yes. Just confirmed with a neutral character and a chaotic altar. The
    message is "Suddenly several figures appear out of nowhere!" and rats
    appear.

    Other possibilities (precisely, since I'm there already):

    'The *foo* glows in a black light.': item is cursed.
    'A voice booms: "*GET YOUR JUNK OFF MY ALTAR*".': nothing (?)
    'You hear a distant rumble.': nothing (?)
    'A voice booms: "*THANKS, HERETIC!*". The *foo* is destroyed by a column
    of flames.': item is destroyed.
    And sometimes, nothing happens at all. I think this may be if the avail-
    able space for rat-summoning (which seems limited to a 9x9 square) is
    full.

    Unfortunately this character doesn't have an orb to test with the last
    one. And I put (?) on the nothings because nothing *obvious* seems to
    happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were piety effects.

    > L&c,
    > F

    njm
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    I failed miserably to keep a straight face when I read that
    on 26 Jul 2005 07:49:13 -0700, Flubsicle@gmail.com <Flubsicle@gmail.com> wrote:

    (snip slightly spoily post)

    Flubsicle, your post contained some spoily facts (which is to be
    expected from YAGBU posts), and besides that the subject line contained
    a spoiler too. Could you please use spoiler space and keep spoilers out
    of the subject line?

    See the r.g.r.a. FAQ at http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html

    Thanks,
    Leon (aka Oliphaunt)

    --
    I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did
    the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much, of
    course - the computer industry didn't even foresee that the
    century was going to end. -- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games