YAGBU: Neutral god summons rats when annoyed

Last response: in Video Games
July 26, 2005 11:49:13 AM

I have a level 15 orcish beastfighter. He started of Chaotic, through
Terinyo quests he gets to N-. I start wearing the amulet of law. When I
am up to N+, I get to dwarftown (wasn't thinking there...should have
waited till LN), so a neutral altar is generated. I go do the quests,
get up to NL by the end of the third quest. After four quests+the
graveyard, I am at L-. I find a neutral altar on CoC shortcut level
(didn't go there when I first went into the CoC), convert it to law no
problem. I sac on the lawful altar untill I get inner peace, then go
back to dwarftown to collect the graveyard prize.

I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
just undocumented?

P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 5:03:22 PM

Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

[snip chaotic character becoming lawful, and a neutral Dwarftown altar]

> I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
> altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
> everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
> maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
> those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
> one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
> everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
> on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
> dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
> off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
> my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
> more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
> my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
> rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
> The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
> pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
> just undocumented?

It does appear to be undocumented, though I've had it happen as well.

Do you have the messages? A recent enough .svg to experiment with?

And out of curiousity, why were you dropping stuff on a non-aligned altar?

> P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
> monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?

*blinks* Hrm. Not sure. IIRC friendly blink dogs attacking something
else generally summon blink dogs which are at least neutral towards you,
but I'm afraid that's all I recall on the matter.

Love and coffee,
Frances
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:33:33 PM

Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

[Snip introduction story and rat-summoning story]

I've gotten the rat-summoning before from accidentally extend-dropping
on an unaligned altar, and my brother got it for the first time
yesterday (he too thought there was a wererat in the area). I think it
may have to do something with your character level or something, because
summoning Grey Slayers when you are level 15 would kill you off
instantly... although that is kind of what the diety wants...

Anywho, I think it may be level-related, but I can't say for sure.

Another question (more spoilers, so beware!):

I was reading some back-posts about the Guidebook warning not to pray on
the Chaos Plane, due to Greater Balors being summoned... but I remember
reading a few posts stating that that may have been due to their diety
being at the pissed-off "summon" level, not just because they're on the
Chaos Plane... I don't remember if that was ever resolved. Does anyone
have information on that?
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:20:17 AM

On 26 Jul 2005 07:49:13 -0700, Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:

> After four quests+the graveyard, I am at L-.

There's an "L-"? I don't think I've ever seen that (nor "C+" for
that matter) - how did you get to that piety level?

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

...the so-called industrial revolution was just another
hoax and we all fell for it, 'cause we were all
programmed to. Even I fell for it. I believe in the
steam engine, even though I don't believe in anything.
- King Missile, "Ed"
July 27, 2005 1:23:50 AM

On 2005-07-26, Frances Moffatt <torrain@rogers.com> wrote:
> Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote:
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> [snip chaotic character becoming lawful, and a neutral Dwarftown altar]
>
>> I get the prize, do the fifth dwarftown quest, then go to the dwarftown
>> altar, which is neutral. Here my problems begin. I extended-drop
>> everything, and then I see a bunch of rats everywhere. I am like wtf?,
>> maybe I accidently used my wererat figurine of wondrous power (yes,
>> those shops still do exist). I look around for a wererat, don't see
>> one, figure that a dwarf must have killed it, and resume dropping
>> everything. Suddenly more rats appear. I kill them, wonder wtf is going
>> on, since my figurine is on the altar. I pick up everything, try again,
>> dropping one at a time. It turns out the neutral orcish god is pissed
>> off at me, some rats appear. I kill them, drop another item. He curses
>> my ancient mummy wrappings. No problem I decide, I want to see some
>> more rats. I drop some clothes, more rats. Foolishly, I continue, drop
>> my phase dagger, and it gets disintigrated... I then started dropping
>> rocks, and each rock made rats appear or got disintigrated.
>> The guidebook lists grey slayers as appearing when the neutral god is
>> pissed off, but I am getting rats instead. Is this a bug, or is this
>> just undocumented?
>
> It does appear to be undocumented, though I've had it happen as well.
>
> Do you have the messages? A recent enough .svg to experiment with?
>
> And out of curiousity, why were you dropping stuff on a non-aligned altar?

One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
becomes cursed, rats appear, or "you hear a distant rumble" (iirc). Of
these I suppose the rats could be useful but I've mostly used this to
curse things: occasionally water, usually morgia root. (Must... stop...
herb scumming...)

njm
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:02:32 AM

Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1122389353.891900.128310@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...

> P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
> monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?

I recall that friendly (not tame, but so friendly the game asks for
attack confirmation) claw bug created several also friendly
'brothers'. The same with blink dogs. (But then i ate one of their
corpses before them and that was the end of our friendship.) So, if i
want to generalize, i think that monster summons/breeds are at the
same 'friend level' as their originator...
Yax the Cat-Eater
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:25:19 PM

Jan Krch??k wrote:
> Flubsicle@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1122389353.891900.128310@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
>

>>P.S. Do friendly oozes/gremlins that reproduce reproduce friendly
>>monsters, neutral monsters, or hostile monsters?
>

> I recall that friendly (not tame, but so friendly the game asks for
> attack confirmation) claw bug created several also friendly
> 'brothers'. The same with blink dogs. (But then i ate one of their
> corpses before them and that was the end of our friendship.) So, if i
> want to generalize, i think that monster summons/breeds are at the
> same 'friend level' as their originator...
> Yax the Cat-Eater

I have tamed claw bugs before. When they spawn, they create neutral or
hostile claw bugs (if I remember correctly). I do know that some of my
tame claw bugs have been killed by their own offspring when said
offspring decided to attack me.

I have no idea about gremlins or oozes.

-Ryan
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:54:27 PM

rat@athei.st wrote:

>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.

> One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
> aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
> becomes cursed, rats appear,

Hang on, for the sake of utter clarity:

Rats may appear when you do this on any unaligned altar? I always
assumed it just happened on a neutral one, since they're neutral creatures.

L&c,
July 28, 2005 12:43:08 PM

On 2005-07-27, Frances Moffatt <torrain@rogers.com> wrote:
> rat@athei.st wrote:
>>>
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>
>> One of (at least) four things can happen when you drop stuff on a non-
>> aligned altar: the stuff disappears ("*THANKS, HERETIC*"), the stuff
>> becomes cursed, rats appear,
>
> Hang on, for the sake of utter clarity:
>
> Rats may appear when you do this on any unaligned altar? I always
> assumed it just happened on a neutral one, since they're neutral creatures.

Yes. Just confirmed with a neutral character and a chaotic altar. The
message is "Suddenly several figures appear out of nowhere!" and rats
appear.

Other possibilities (precisely, since I'm there already):

'The *foo* glows in a black light.': item is cursed.
'A voice booms: "*GET YOUR JUNK OFF MY ALTAR*".': nothing (?)
'You hear a distant rumble.': nothing (?)
'A voice booms: "*THANKS, HERETIC!*". The *foo* is destroyed by a column
of flames.': item is destroyed.
And sometimes, nothing happens at all. I think this may be if the avail-
able space for rat-summoning (which seems limited to a 9x9 square) is
full.

Unfortunately this character doesn't have an orb to test with the last
one. And I put (?) on the nothings because nothing *obvious* seems to
happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were piety effects.

> L&c,

njm
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:25:53 PM

I failed miserably to keep a straight face when I read that
on 26 Jul 2005 07:49:13 -0700, Flubsicle@gmail.com <Flubsicle@gmail.com> wrote:

(snip slightly spoily post)

Flubsicle, your post contained some spoily facts (which is to be
expected from YAGBU posts), and besides that the subject line contained
a spoiler too. Could you please use spoiler space and keep spoilers out
of the subject line?

See the r.g.r.a. FAQ at http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html

Thanks,
Leon (aka Oliphaunt)

--
I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did
the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much, of