Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistNY

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Hi,

I am helping my uncle -- ahh, I mean, Santa -- buy a laptop for his 7 year old daughter. She is a bit old for a princess edition Disney pseudo-laptop, but too young for a regular full-fledged laptop. I'm thinking a netbook would be best, but the whole point of this purchase is so that she leaves her dad's laptop alone. Is an underpowered netbook sufficient for flash-heavy web surfing (I think that's basically what she does with his laptop)? He would like to spend about 300 -- I think that's the most he can justify spending on a laptop for a 7 year old (and rightfully so).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I have no idea how to buy a laptop for a 7 year old. Anyone have experience with this? What are all the "cool kids" getting nowadays?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Why does a 7-year-old need a laptop? Anyways, there are plenty of Black Friday deals that offer decent laptops at low prices. Look around and you might find something you like... or Santa likes. By the way, I thought Santa's elves made all of his merchandise. oO

Exactly what I would have suggested has I seen this thread sooner. A netbook would be easily capable of websurfing with lots of flash elements on the site.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

A netbook is a good idea. The HP Mini 110 by Studio Tord Boontje has a fun look and it is under $300. It is a basis netbook that should be perfect for browsing the web and it only weighs 3 lbs, so it won't be too heavy for a 7 year old.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.