Herbs (Game logic question)

I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.

..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.

Are all herbs cursed?
Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
pick)?
It doesn't seem logical that all herbs would be of cursed status,
unless perhaps of being on a "corrupted level," which I don't quite
understand though I've seen it mentioned.

eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
>
> .[
> ).
> .{
> ].
> .(
> }.
> .[
> ).
> .{
> ].
> .(
> }.
> .[
> ).
> .{
> ].
> .(
> }.
> .[
> ).
> .{
> ].
> .(
> }.
>
> Are all herbs cursed?
> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
> Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
> pick)?

If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
herbs will be blessed.

It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush;
if nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can
avoid picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
'withered'.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:19:43 -0400, Christopher Subich wrote:

> eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
>> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
>>
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>>
>> Are all herbs cursed?
>> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this? Why do you think all
>> herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I* pick)?
>
> If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
> cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
> herbs will be blessed.
>
> It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush; if
> nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can avoid
> picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
> 'withered'.

It does not help to apply the skill while standing on the bush, although
as you point out, it gives you useful information to prevent over-farming
them.

Non-farmers get about 65% blessed herbs, 26% uncursed, and 9% cursed
at 100 herbalism; level 18+ farmers get around 80.5% blessed, 15%
uncursed, and 4.5% cursed.

rat

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

On 2005-08-02, frobnoid <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:19:43 -0400, Christopher Subich wrote:
>
>> eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
>>>
>>> .[
>>> ).
>>> .{
>>> ].
>>> .(
>>> }.
>>> .[
>>> ).
>>> .{
>>> ].
>>> .(
>>> }.
>>> .[
>>> ).
>>> .{
>>> ].
>>> .(
>>> }.
>>> .[
>>> ).
>>> .{
>>> ].
>>> .(
>>> }.
>>>
>>> Are all herbs cursed?
>>> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this? Why do you think all
>>> herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I* pick)?
>>
>> If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
>> cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
>> herbs will be blessed.
>>
>> It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush; if
>> nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can avoid
>> picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
>> 'withered'.

Although this only helps if the bush has exactly three neighbors - that
is the only condition under which it will regrow (from withered to
strong to full of blossoms, that is). This is why squares are ideal for
herb farming - all four bushes will grow each cycle.

> It does not help to apply the skill while standing on the bush, although
> as you point out, it gives you useful information to prevent over-farming
> them.

It also leads you to identify the herb after two more picks. This is
only really relevant for spenseweed, though, since it doesn't seem to
identify through picking otherwise, unlike the rest of the herbs.

njm

Christopher Subich wrote:
> eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
>>
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>> .[
>> ).
>> .{
>> ].
>> .(
>> }.
>>
>> Are all herbs cursed?
>> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
>> Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
>> pick)?
>
> If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
> cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
> herbs will be blessed.

Another suggestion for the original poster: Even if all herbs are
cursed, you can make good use of them. Just pick yourself a big heap of
herbs of all kinds, then read a blessed scroll of uncursing. Voila: All
your herbs are now uncursed.

> It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush;

How'd he do that without the skill? :)

Malte

Thank you to those that replied.

Malte Helmert wrote:
> Another suggestion for the original poster: Even if all herbs are
> cursed, you can make good use of them. Just pick yourself a big heap of
> herbs of all kinds, then read a blessed scroll of uncursing. Voila: All
> your herbs are now uncursed.
>
> Malte

Really? I knew that a blessed scroll of ID worked on all items - didn't
think uncursing was the same way. Very handy to know!