Herbs (Game logic question)

I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.

..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.
..[
).
..{
].
..(
}.

Are all herbs cursed?
Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
pick)?
It doesn't seem logical that all herbs would be of cursed status,
unless perhaps of being on a "corrupted level," which I don't quite
understand though I've seen it mentioned.
5 answers Last reply
More about herbs game logic question
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
    > I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
    >
    > .[
    > ).
    > .{
    > ].
    > .(
    > }.
    > .[
    > ).
    > .{
    > ].
    > .(
    > }.
    > .[
    > ).
    > .{
    > ].
    > .(
    > }.
    > .[
    > ).
    > .{
    > ].
    > .(
    > }.
    >
    > Are all herbs cursed?
    > Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
    > Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
    > pick)?

    If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
    cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
    herbs will be blessed.

    It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush;
    if nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can
    avoid picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
    'withered'.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:19:43 -0400, Christopher Subich wrote:

    > eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
    >>
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >>
    >> Are all herbs cursed?
    >> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this? Why do you think all
    >> herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I* pick)?
    >
    > If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
    > cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
    > herbs will be blessed.
    >
    > It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush; if
    > nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can avoid
    > picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
    > 'withered'.

    It does not help to apply the skill while standing on the bush, although
    as you point out, it gives you useful information to prevent over-farming
    them.

    Non-farmers get about 65% blessed herbs, 26% uncursed, and 9% cursed
    at 100 herbalism; level 18+ farmers get around 80.5% blessed, 15%
    uncursed, and 4.5% cursed.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 2005-08-02, frobnoid <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:19:43 -0400, Christopher Subich wrote:
    >
    >> eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
    >>>
    >>> .[
    >>> ).
    >>> .{
    >>> ].
    >>> .(
    >>> }.
    >>> .[
    >>> ).
    >>> .{
    >>> ].
    >>> .(
    >>> }.
    >>> .[
    >>> ).
    >>> .{
    >>> ].
    >>> .(
    >>> }.
    >>> .[
    >>> ).
    >>> .{
    >>> ].
    >>> .(
    >>> }.
    >>>
    >>> Are all herbs cursed?
    >>> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this? Why do you think all
    >>> herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I* pick)?
    >>
    >> If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
    >> cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
    >> herbs will be blessed.
    >>
    >> It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush; if
    >> nothing else, this identifies the strength of the bush, so you can avoid
    >> picking the bush to oblivion. Stop picking when the bush becomes
    >> 'withered'.

    Although this only helps if the bush has exactly three neighbors - that
    is the only condition under which it will regrow (from withered to
    strong to full of blossoms, that is). This is why squares are ideal for
    herb farming - all four bushes will grow each cycle.

    > It does not help to apply the skill while standing on the bush, although
    > as you point out, it gives you useful information to prevent over-farming
    > them.

    It also leads you to identify the herb after two more picks. This is
    only really relevant for spenseweed, though, since it doesn't seem to
    identify through picking otherwise, unlike the rest of the herbs.

    njm
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Christopher Subich wrote:
    > eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I *guess* this is spoilish. At least the answer may well be.
    >>
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >> .[
    >> ).
    >> .{
    >> ].
    >> .(
    >> }.
    >>
    >> Are all herbs cursed?
    >> Does the Herbalism or Farmer class affect this?
    >> Why do you think all herbs are cursed(or at least all of the ones *I*
    >> pick)?
    >
    > If you don't have the herbalism skill, then all picked herbs will be
    > cursed. If herbalism is at skill 100, then the vast majority of picked
    > herbs will be blessed.

    Another suggestion for the original poster: Even if all herbs are
    cursed, you can make good use of them. Just pick yourself a big heap of
    herbs of all kinds, then read a blessed scroll of uncursing. Voila: All
    your herbs are now uncursed.

    > It may help to (a)pply the herbalism skill while standing on the bush;

    How'd he do that without the skill? :-)

    Malte
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Thank you to those that replied.

    Malte Helmert wrote:
    > Another suggestion for the original poster: Even if all herbs are
    > cursed, you can make good use of them. Just pick yourself a big heap of
    > herbs of all kinds, then read a blessed scroll of uncursing. Voila: All
    > your herbs are now uncursed.
    >
    > Malte

    Really? I knew that a blessed scroll of ID worked on all items - didn't
    think uncursing was the same way. Very handy to know!

Games Logic Video Games