Dell motherboard replacement Dimension 4550

I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about dell motherboard replacement dimension 4550

    You may be able to find a replacement for the 4550 motherboard, but, if so, be
    prepared to pay lots and lots of money for it. More cost-effective to buy a
    standard ATX or mATX hardware compatible motherboard and a standard ATX case.

    Dell uses primarily Intel-designed motherboards, so there is a generic retail
    equivalent (or 99% equivalent) Intel-branded available. It is important to
    match up the motherboard chipsets as closely as possible. Identical is best.

    The system chipset is an Intel 845PE, I'm pretty sure that the Intel D845PESV
    model is nearly the same as the board used by Dell. Of course, it has a
    different motherboard mouting scheme and a different header to the front panel
    lights and buttons, which is why you would need a different case. Check
    www.intel.com for specs on 845 chipset motherboards with AGP slots. You may
    also need another cooling fan/heat sink to fit a replacement motherboard, too.

    After installing all the useful guts from the 4550 in the new case, you should
    be able to boot up and run Windows XP(?) with no problem. But you may have to
    go thru the Windows XP authentication process again, because you will have
    replaced a major hardware component.... Ben Myers

    On 5 Aug 2004 06:51:40 -0700, rrtubb@yahoo.com (Networking in Sunny Florida)
    wrote:

    >I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
    >gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
    >Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
    >replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1244&item=3495655738&rd=1

    Not an endorsement of the seller or product, just passing along info.....

    Stew

    > You may be able to find a replacement for the 4550 motherboard, but, if
    > so, be
    > prepared to pay lots and lots of money for it. More cost-effective to buy
    > standard ATX or mATX hardware compatible motherboard and a standard ATX
    > case.
    >
    > Dell uses primarily Intel-designed motherboards, so there is a generic
    > retail
    > equivalent (or 99% equivalent) Intel-branded available. It is important
    > match up the motherboard chipsets as closely as possible. Identical is
    > best.
    >
    > The system chipset is an Intel 845PE, I'm pretty sure that the Intel
    > D845PESV
    > model is nearly the same as the board used by Dell. Of course, it has a
    > different motherboard mouting scheme and a different header to the front
    > panel
    > lights and buttons, which is why you would need a different case. Check
    > www.intel.com for specs on 845 chipset motherboards with AGP slots. You
    > may
    > also need another cooling fan/heat sink to fit a replacement motherboard,
    > too.
    >
    > After installing all the useful guts from the 4550 in the new case, you
    > should
    > be able to boot up and run Windows XP(?) with no problem. But you may
    > have to
    > go thru the Windows XP authentication process again, because you will have
    > replaced a major hardware component.... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 5 Aug 2004 06:51:40 -0700, rrtubb@yahoo.com (Networking in Sunny
    > Florida)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
    >>gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
    >>Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
    >>replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Dell charges about $150 for boards. If you have to replace it, you may as
    well buy a Dimension 8300 board, which will be about the same price but more
    future-upgradeable.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > Dell charges about $150 for boards. If you have to replace it, you may as
    > well buy a Dimension 8300 board, which will be about the same price but
    > more
    > future-upgradeable.

    <snip>

    Ed,

    Can he run a 533mhz CPU on that board? I understood an 800mhz CPU was the
    minimum (plus he'll want to match pair the DIMMs to take advantage of that
    dual-channel board).

    Stew

    The 8300 will work with a 533 MHz CPU, but not a 400 MHz one.
    A single DIMM will work as well -- and give some room for future upgrades
    that a 45xx board wouldn't.

    Ed,

    > Can he run a 533mhz CPU on that board? I understood an 800mhz CPU was the
    > minimum (plus he'll want to match pair the DIMMs to take advantage of that
    > dual-channel board).

Dell Motherboards Dimension Computers Product