Dell motherboard replacement Dimension 4550

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 10:51:40 AM

I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 8:59:21 PM

You may be able to find a replacement for the 4550 motherboard, but, if so, be
prepared to pay lots and lots of money for it. More cost-effective to buy a
standard ATX or mATX hardware compatible motherboard and a standard ATX case.

Dell uses primarily Intel-designed motherboards, so there is a generic retail
equivalent (or 99% equivalent) Intel-branded available. It is important to
match up the motherboard chipsets as closely as possible. Identical is best.

The system chipset is an Intel 845PE, I'm pretty sure that the Intel D845PESV
model is nearly the same as the board used by Dell. Of course, it has a
different motherboard mouting scheme and a different header to the front panel
lights and buttons, which is why you would need a different case. Check
www.intel.com for specs on 845 chipset motherboards with AGP slots. You may
also need another cooling fan/heat sink to fit a replacement motherboard, too.

After installing all the useful guts from the 4550 in the new case, you should
be able to boot up and run Windows XP(?) with no problem. But you may have to
go thru the Windows XP authentication process again, because you will have
replaced a major hardware component.... Ben Myers

On 5 Aug 2004 06:51:40 -0700, rrtubb@yahoo.com (Networking in Sunny Florida)
wrote:

>I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
>gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
>Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
>replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 8:59:22 PM

Not an endorsement of the seller or product, just passing along info.....

Stew

> You may be able to find a replacement for the 4550 motherboard, but, if
> so, be
> prepared to pay lots and lots of money for it. More cost-effective to buy
> standard ATX or mATX hardware compatible motherboard and a standard ATX
> case.
>
> Dell uses primarily Intel-designed motherboards, so there is a generic
> retail
> equivalent (or 99% equivalent) Intel-branded available. It is important
> match up the motherboard chipsets as closely as possible. Identical is
> best.
>
> The system chipset is an Intel 845PE, I'm pretty sure that the Intel
> D845PESV
> model is nearly the same as the board used by Dell. Of course, it has a
> different motherboard mouting scheme and a different header to the front
> panel
> lights and buttons, which is why you would need a different case. Check
> www.intel.com for specs on 845 chipset motherboards with AGP slots. You
> may
> also need another cooling fan/heat sink to fit a replacement motherboard,
> too.
>
> After installing all the useful guts from the 4550 in the new case, you
> should
> be able to boot up and run Windows XP(?) with no problem. But you may
> have to
> go thru the Windows XP authentication process again, because you will have
> replaced a major hardware component.... Ben Myers
>
> On 5 Aug 2004 06:51:40 -0700, rrtubb@yahoo.com (Networking in Sunny
> Florida)
> wrote:
>
>>I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
>>gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
>>Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
>>replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 9:02:21 PM

Dell charges about $150 for boards. If you have to replace it, you may as
well buy a Dimension 8300 board, which will be about the same price but more
future-upgradeable.

"Networking in Sunny Florida" <rrtubb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I know that my motherboard is fried. I don't know if the CPU is also
> gone. I would like suggetions on how to best replace this MOBO.
> Should I buy a new case and ATX motherboard? Is there a way to just
> replace the MOBO? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 10:44:48 PM

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Dell charges about $150 for boards. If you have to replace it, you may as
> well buy a Dimension 8300 board, which will be about the same price but
> more
> future-upgradeable.

<snip>

Ed,

Can he run a 533mhz CPU on that board? I understood an 800mhz CPU was the
minimum (plus he'll want to match pair the DIMMs to take advantage of that
dual-channel board).

Stew
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2004 7:27:14 PM

The 8300 will work with a 533 MHz CPU, but not a 400 MHz one.
A single DIMM will work as well -- and give some room for future upgrades
that a 45xx board wouldn't.

!