Help finding cables? VGA/HDMI to S-Video

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hi! I'm working on a project but I've encountered a problem.
I have a 7" LCD screen that only has a 9-pin S-Video connector.
Now, I have a laptop motherboard with a HDMI and VGA output.
How the hell do I connect them together? Is it even possible?
I want to keep this monitor because it's small and it has incorporated speakers.
What cables do I need? And where can I buy them? (links please!)
Thanks in advance! :D

Solution

HDMI supports audio, but it uses digital signals, and the 9-pin mini-din on the screen probably only takes analog signals, so you'd need some sort of powered converter box if you wanted to go that way. For the audio with the second option you should be able to connect the 3.5mm TRS plug (that you labeled with a question mark in the photo) to the audio out on the motherboard.
9 pins is not an S-Video connector, because S-Video only has 4 pins. The screen probably came with its own converter/breakout cables for that, which might take VGA, or might take composite, s-video, and component connectors. Unfortunately, there are a number of variations on the pin spacing for 9-pin mini-din connectors, so it may be difficult to buy the right cables separately. Could you provide the brand and model of screen, and a photo of the connector?

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Hi, thanks! So the screen is from Centurion, but it used to be connected to a portable DVD player... so I can't use the original cable because it's a splitter and I don't want too many cables flying around for the project... in any case he's a picture of the situation:

cables.png

Just so it's clear, the 4 cables you see on the left become one output cable (well, 2 separate output cables since it's a splitter).
Oh and I just noticed the output cable is 8 pin and the adapter makes it 9 pin... (wuuut?)
Thanks again!

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Ok great thanks! Would the second option also help me cover the audio part though?
There's only a simple audio out on the motherboard, unless HDMI also supports audio?

HDMI supports audio, but it uses digital signals, and the 9-pin mini-din on the screen probably only takes analog signals, so you'd need some sort of powered converter box if you wanted to go that way. For the audio with the second option you should be able to connect the 3.5mm TRS plug (that you labeled with a question mark in the photo) to the audio out on the motherboard.

Solution

mc837

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Ok I'll figure something out, thank you! :D