Exp not recorded in Monster Memory?

Spoily I guess.

Started a Gray Elven Necromancer today. Found Slow Monster early, a few
Magic Missle and Frost Bolt books so Im quite well-versed in spells. I used
Slow Monster and tackled a mixed minor vault on UD: 6. After a few hairy
moments with Lightning Lizards, I came accross a Werewolf Lord. After
initially filling my Black Robe [+0, +1], I proceeded to annihilate the WWL
whilst slowed and cheered. After the excitement of finding that a slowed
Acid Vortex gave me ~1200 exp, I checked up on thw WWL in my Monster Memory.
It recorded that Id killed one but never listed its exp.

Im down to Dwarftown and after some DH annoyances, I got the Ogre quest.
Slowed myself again, got to see an Ogre Lord and whalloped him. Checked the
exp and that wasnt listed. I had 1 Ogre Lord kill but no exp was recorded in
the Monster Memory.

I didnt check my exp score before/after so I dont know whether I actually
received any exp.

I know there have been some weirdnesses happening due to slow monster but I
havent heard of this being documented.

Any explanations?

robert elcome wrote:

> Spoily I guess.

> Started a Gray Elven Necromancer today. Found Slow Monster early, a
> few Magic Missle and Frost Bolt books so Im quite well-versed in
> spells. I used Slow Monster and tackled a mixed minor vault on UD: 6.
> After a few hairy moments with Lightning Lizards, I came accross a
> Werewolf Lord. After initially filling my Black Robe [+0, +1], I
> proceeded to annihilate the WWL whilst slowed and cheered. After the
> excitement of finding that a slowed Acid Vortex gave me ~1200 exp, I
> checked up on thw WWL in my Monster Memory. It recorded that Id
> killed one but never listed its exp.
>
> Im down to Dwarftown and after some DH annoyances, I got the Ogre
> quest. Slowed myself again, got to see an Ogre Lord and whalloped
> him. Checked the exp and that wasnt listed. I had 1 Ogre Lord kill
> but no exp was recorded in the Monster Memory.
>
> I didnt check my exp score before/after so I dont know whether I
> actually received any exp.
>
> I know there have been some weirdnesses happening due to slow monster
> but I havent heard of this being documented.
>
> Any explanations?

I don't actually think it's related to Slow Mosnter at all. I think this
is simply a manifestation of the little-remembered fact (mentioned in
the manual) that the Monster Memory is not guaranteed to be accurate; it
reflects what your character has observed and learned about the
monsters, and sometimes - perhaps based on Learning, I'm not sure,
although I've noticed the effect most often when playing trolls - your
character can see something and not actually learn it.

The most common manifestation of this effect can readily be seen by
visiting the very dusty dungeon level; after seeing a particular type of
monster appear out of thin air a few times, very often the Monster
Memory will begin to report that that type of monster can teleport (even
if it's a simple rat).

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

robert elcome wrote:
> Spoily I guess.

> I didnt check my exp score before/after so I dont know whether I actually
> received any exp.

One useful configuration variable:

Show_Experience = true

It useful, but also spoily, as it clearly tells you that you killed a monster
(even if it's invisible or out of LOS).

Kosma

Zachary Palmer (zep01@bahj.com) writes:
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:55:54 +0200, Kosma
> <kosmam.spammers@go.to.hell.op.pl> wrote:
>
>> robert elcome wrote:
>>> Spoily I guess.

>>> I didnt check my exp score before/after so I dont know whether I
>>> actually received any exp.
>>
>> One useful configuration variable:
>>
>> Show_Experience = true
>>
>> It useful, but also spoily, as it clearly tells you that you killed
>> a monster (even if it's invisible or out of LOS).
>>
>> Kosma
>
> Not to be overly picky, but it tells if a hostile monster has died.
> :) It's always amusing when you step onto a level, feel tense while
> simultaneously shivering, take a step, and read (paraphrased):
> "You hear an explosion! [+78xp] [+22xp] [+89xp] [+88xp] [+20xp]
> [+30xp] [+77xp] [+72xp] [+81xp] [+30xp]"

That only applies to door traps. You get nothing if creatures are killed by
ordinary floor traps.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

"Josh Singh" <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in message
> Zachary Palmer (zep01@bahj.com) writes:
>> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:55:54 +0200, Kosma
>> <kosmam.spammers@go.to.hell.op.pl> wrote:

>>> One useful configuration variable:
>>>
>>> Show_Experience = true
>>>
>>> It useful, but also spoily, as it clearly tells you that you killed
>>> a monster (even if it's invisible or out of LOS).
>>>
>>> Kosma
>>
>> Not to be overly picky, but it tells if a hostile monster has died.
>> :) It's always amusing when you step onto a level, feel tense while
>> simultaneously shivering, take a step, and read (paraphrased):
>> "You hear an explosion! [+78xp] [+22xp] [+89xp] [+88xp] [+20xp]
>> [+30xp] [+77xp] [+72xp] [+81xp] [+30xp]"
>
> That only applies to door traps. You get nothing if creatures are killed
> by ordinary floor traps.

Hrm, how does this affect kitty karma? Is it possible to kill a cat because
some twit monster opened the wrong door?

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey (darrenjohngreyFAKE@hotmail.com) writes:
> "Josh Singh" <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in message
>> Zachary Palmer (zep01@bahj.com) writes:

>>> Not to be overly picky, but it tells if a hostile monster has died.
>>> :) It's always amusing when you step onto a level, feel tense while
>>> simultaneously shivering, take a step, and read (paraphrased):
>>> "You hear an explosion! [+78xp] [+22xp] [+89xp] [+88xp] [+20xp]
>>> [+30xp] [+77xp] [+72xp] [+81xp] [+30xp]"
>>
>> That only applies to door traps. You get nothing if creatures are
>> killed by ordinary floor traps.
>
> Hrm, how does this affect kitty karma? Is it possible to kill a cat
> because some twit monster opened the wrong door?

I imagine it does. Any kill that shows up in your kill list counts, and door
trap kills, unfortunately, show up in your kill list. I think also if you
set off a fireball trap yourself, any cats killed in the explosion go
against you. It's not the same deal with vortices, though, so if you've got
a problem cat and an acid vortex... do the math.

--

"Zachary Palmer" <zep01@bahj.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:vok9f19vlg8sos1gf3qphos47iinmi547a@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:55:54 +0200, Kosma
> <kosmam.spammers@go.to.hell.op.pl> wrote:
>
>>robert elcome wrote:
>>> Spoily I guess.

>>> I didnt check my exp score before/after so I dont know whether I
>>> actually
>>> received any exp.
>>
>>One useful configuration variable:
>>
>> Show_Experience = true
>>
>>It useful, but also spoily, as it clearly tells you that you killed a
>>monster
>>(even if it's invisible or out of LOS).
>>
>>Kosma
>
> Not to be overly picky, but it tells if a hostile monster has died.
> :) It's always amusing when you step onto a level, feel tense while
> simultaneously shivering, take a step, and read (paraphrased):
> "You hear an explosion! [+78xp] [+22xp] [+89xp] [+88xp] [+20xp]
> [+30xp] [+77xp] [+72xp] [+81xp] [+30xp]"
>
> Cheers,
>
> Zachary Palmer

So, do PC's get exp from monsters that they didn't actually kill (like in
that fireball thing)?