The guide book says you must have 100 pc deaths in the highscore
before you can enter the temple. But even with new chars I still
cannot enter. I think there may be some multiple deaths of some pcs
(save scummed) In the highscore would that cause the problem?

If that is the problem maybe someone could email me one of their
highscore files?
Id rather not create and kill another 100 if it can be avoided.

jhornaday@juno.com wrote:
> spoily
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> The guide book says you must have 100 pc deaths in the highscore
> before you can enter the temple. But even with new chars I still
> cannot enter. I think there may be some multiple deaths of some pcs
> (save scummed) In the highscore would that cause the problem?

Not sure about what would be causing this, unless...

> If that is the problem maybe someone could email me one of their
> highscore files?
> Id rather not create and kill another 100 if it can be avoided.

.... copying over a highscore file does not give the requisite 100
deaths. You actually have to kill off 100 characters in that specific
game; I guess the counter is within the actual ADOM file, not just
"highscore count = 100 characters"... your savescummed character may be
part of the cause of you not being able to enter, but I can't say that
for sure, and would tend to lean towards it not being a hindrance to
entering.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:28:28 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:

> jhornaday@juno.com wrote:
>> spoily
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> The guide book says you must have 100 pc deaths in the highscore
>> before you can enter the temple. But even with new chars I still cannot
>> enter. I think there may be some multiple deaths of some pcs (save
>> scummed) In the highscore would that cause the problem?
>>

> Not sure about what would be causing this, unless...
>>
>> If that is the problem maybe someone could email me one of their
>> highscore files?
>> Id rather not create and kill another 100 if it can be avoided.
>
> ... copying over a highscore file does not give the requisite 100 deaths.
> You actually have to kill off 100 characters in that specific game; I
> guess the counter is within the actual ADOM file, not just "highscore
> count = 100 characters"... your savescummed character may be part of the
> cause of you not being able to enter, but I can't say that for sure, and
> would tend to lean towards it not being a hindrance to entering.

This is definitely not the case. The ADOM binary does not modify itself,
the information must be stored elsewhere.

frobnoid wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:28:28 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:
>
>> jhornaday@juno.com wrote:
>>
>>> spoily
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>> The guide book says you must have 100 pc deaths in the highscore
>>> before you can enter the temple. But even with new chars I still
>>> cannot enter. I think there may be some multiple deaths of some
>>> pcs (save scummed) In the highscore would that cause the problem?
>>
>> Not sure about what would be causing this, unless...
>>
>>> If that is the problem maybe someone could email me one of their
>>> highscore files? Id rather not create and kill another 100 if it
>>> can be avoided.
>>
>> ... copying over a highscore file does not give the requisite 100
>> deaths. You actually have to kill off 100 characters in that
>> specific game; I guess the counter is within the actual ADOM file,
>> not just "highscore count = 100 characters"... your savescummed
>> character may be part of the cause of you not being able to enter,
>> but I can't say that for sure, and would tend to lean towards it
>> not being a hindrance to entering.
>
> This is definitely not the case. The ADOM binary does not modify
> itself, the information must be stored elsewhere.

That is correct. The information is stored in the file adom.cnt
(extension presumably short for "count") - whether or not a sufficiently
high-count version of that file is sufficient I don't recall, but it is
definitely necessary. I don't know when the adom.cnt file is modified,
although I would expect it to be at character death - but if the
modification takes place at character *creation*, then yes, a
save-scummed character could indeed let it not qualify.

A quick test (back up the adom.cnt file, create a new character, compare
the two files) seems to indicate that yes, the file is modified at the
time of character creation. A further test (back up the new adom.cnt,
kill the character, compare the latest two files) confirms that the file
is *not* modified at the time of character death. So: yes, multiple
deaths of a save-scummed character do not count towards the requirement
for entering the bug temple.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Malte Helmert wrote:
> The Wanderer wrote:
> > frobnoid wrote:

> [on the "100 PC counter" for the bug temple]
>
> > That is correct. The information is stored in the file adom.cnt
> > (extension presumably short for "count") - whether or not a sufficiently
> > high-count version of that file is sufficient I don't recall, but it is
> > definitely necessary. I don't know when the adom.cnt file is modified,
> > although I would expect it to be at character death - but if the
> > modification takes place at character *creation*, then yes, a
> > save-scummed character could indeed let it not qualify.
> >
> > A quick test (back up the adom.cnt file, create a new character, compare
> > the two files) seems to indicate that yes, the file is modified at the
> > time of character creation. A further test (back up the new adom.cnt,
> > kill the character, compare the latest two files) confirms that the file
> > is *not* modified at the time of character death. So: yes, multiple
> > deaths of a save-scummed character do not count towards the requirement
> > for entering the bug temple.
>
> Moreover, the check whether or not a character is eligible for the bug
> temple is made on character creation, too. So creating new characters to
> raise the count is no use for characters that have been created earlier
> -- only characters created later.
>
> Malte

Get a hex editor, such as XVI32, and modify adom.cnt.
If opened in notepad or such, the display will be blank, because of low
value hex bytes. When in XVI32, change the first value to ff(255).

Hope this helps.

The Programdude wrote:
> Malte Helmert wrote:
>
>>The Wanderer wrote:

>>[on the "100 PC counter" for the bug temple]
>>

>>Moreover, the check whether or not a character is eligible for the bug
>>temple is made on character creation, too. So creating new characters to
>>raise the count is no use for characters that have been created earlier
>>-- only characters created later.
>
> Get a hex editor, such as XVI32, and modify adom.cnt.
> If opened in notepad or such, the display will be blank, because of low
> value hex bytes. When in XVI32, change the first value to ff(255).
>
> Hope this helps.

You don't need a hex editor, just use plain notepad and type something
like "0000", which as an ASCII sequence corresponds to a very high
numerical value (about 800 million). However, as I said, this will *not*
allow your already existing characters to access the temple, only newly
generated ones.

Malte