Your question

Questions CPU/MB Combo

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2000 2:54:03 AM

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of buying a new processor and have a few questions, I am looking to spend about 450.00 on a motherboard and CPU, I am thinking of buying a Abit KT7-RAID ATX Motherboard and a 1.1GHz Athlon processor. My questions is should I go with this configuration or think of another motherboard/CPU combo. I am open to all suggestions and would like to get some opinions. Also I currently have 2 64meg DIMMs and 1 128meg DIMM that run at 100mhz that I would like to continue to use, Not quite ready to upgrade to PC-133 ram, Which leads me to my next question if I were to go to the CPU/Motherboard combo list above how much benefit would I get if I upgraded to PC-133 ram? Anyhow thanks in advance for the help.

More about : questions cpu combo

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2000 8:49:36 AM

I like that MOBO, it has good RAID stuff and ATA100, and I think AGP Pro also (?). PC100 DIMMs will work fine on the board, as the VIA KT133 will run them at the correct speed. You will see a performance increase with 133MHz RAM, but until then, you can run fine with your 256MB PC100.

You could wait till the DDR boards come out next year, which you could buy instead. This would give you an even better memory upgrade path.

Remember, that even if you replace the 128MB with PC133, all the DIMMs always run at the slowest common speed, e.g. PC100.
!