Suggestions for Undead Encounter?

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Hello all. I have a group of 7 PCs, ranging from 2nd to 6th level with the
average being 4.2 levels. It is warrior heavy, with only 1 thief, cleric
and mage. I need to introduce some undead into my campaign, but fear the
group will make quick work of skeletons and zombies. Can anyone suggest a
type of undead that is in the no-man's land between skeletons/zombies and
vampires/mummies/liches?
47 answers Last reply
More about suggestions undead encounter
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Ray Reynolds" <reymonrey@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello all. I have a group of 7 PCs, ranging from 2nd to 6th level with
    the
    > average being 4.2 levels. It is warrior heavy, with only 1 thief, cleric
    > and mage. I need to introduce some undead into my campaign, but fear the
    > group will make quick work of skeletons and zombies. Can anyone suggest a
    > type of undead that is in the no-man's land between skeletons/zombies and
    > vampires/mummies/liches?

    Well, wights, wraiths and shadows all spring to mind. Nice selection of
    these are immune to ordinary weapons (if my memory serves me well), which'd
    make them all the more annoying to a physical-combat orientated party.
    Either that or just beef up the stat's and go for ogre skeletons/zombies, or
    similarly enlarged (and thus harder) variants,

    Ncik.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Nick Reed" <ncik@another.com> wrote in message
    > "Ray Reynolds" <reymonrey@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello all. I have a group of 7 PCs, ranging from 2nd to 6th level with
    > the
    > > average being 4.2 levels. It is warrior heavy, with only 1 thief,
    cleric
    > > and mage. I need to introduce some undead into my campaign, but fear
    the
    > > group will make quick work of skeletons and zombies. Can anyone suggest
    > > type of undead that is in the no-man's land between skeletons/zombies
    and
    > > vampires/mummies/liches?
    >
    > Well, wights, wraiths and shadows all spring to mind. Nice selection of
    > these are immune to ordinary weapons (if my memory serves me well),
    which'd
    > make them all the more annoying to a physical-combat orientated party.
    > Either that or just beef up the stat's and go for ogre skeletons/zombies,
    or
    > similarly enlarged (and thus harder) variants,

    A bit outside of this are Shadows - in a dark room they can be a real
    challenge. I like to pair up a necromancer with lesser undeads to make
    things more challenging.

    Frank
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    How about you just take a 'regular' monster or caracter be enchanted with
    some magic that makes them undead? Ok, it is cheesy, but saves a lot of
    work.

    In my bag of holding I still have a periapt of foul rotting, interested?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "NeaZyneave" <schrijfmemaar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How about you just take a 'regular' monster or caracter be enchanted with
    > some magic that makes them undead? Ok, it is cheesy, but saves a lot of
    > work.
    >
    > In my bag of holding I still have a periapt of foul rotting, interested?

    I think I'll pass on that one NeaZyneave, but thanks for the offer. ;-)

    Thanks for the suggestions, I was just drawing a blank and couldn't think.
    Actually I want to introduce a series of undead creatures throughout the
    entire campaign that scale in power with the PCs. Untilmately (if they make
    it that far), they'll have to confront a Titian-turned-lich.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    sounds a bit the the 'Kreen' I need to kill in my game. He is such a ^%$$%
    strong guy, I fear him.

    What kind of setting do you play in, maybe that will help me and other
    people to come up with ideas.

    btw; I did find a good use of sourvereign glue... I glued myself to a
    ancient red dragon that I had to kill. It helped!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Well that was helpfull ;)

    Did you consider the fact that suggestions we offer here could also be
    read by your group?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    > Did you consider the fact that suggestions we offer here could also be
    > read by your group?

    Yes I have, that's one reason I am being so evassive. ;-)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    In article <abWdnWxGb4MEq4_cRVn-iA@comcast.com>, reymonrey@comcast.net wrote:

    >Hello all. I have a group of 7 PCs, ranging from 2nd to 6th level with the
    >average being 4.2 levels. It is warrior heavy, with only 1 thief, cleric
    >and mage. I need to introduce some undead into my campaign, but fear the
    >group will make quick work of skeletons and zombies. Can anyone suggest a
    >type of undead that is in the no-man's land between skeletons/zombies and
    >vampires/mummies/liches?

    What's wrong with ghouls, ghasts, and shadows?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Ghouls are always good for a laugh.

    Still, if the cleric in the party is lev 6 and has a half decent CHA,
    undead will be a problem to DM

    i.e. they will either get blasted by tuning or they will need to be so
    strong that they could be a serious threat to total party destruction
    if the cleric fails a turn roll.

    still, it makes for tense encounters..

    I'm having current fun in a campaign playing a non combat, but high CHA
    Priest of Pelor.. with the sun domain, and the feats extra turning and
    greater turning I was blasting the ghouls drom 2nd lev! When I get the
    Radiant Servant PrC things should be even more undead-blasting-tastic
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Still, if the cleric in the party is lev 6 and has a half decent CHA,
    undead will be a problem to DM "

    "Not if they come in waves.. "

    Yes. This is one of the easiest ways to accomplish the goal of widdling
    down party resources and forcing the players to think about
    conservation.

    The original question also comes with another easy answer... if you
    want to surprise your party, throw some skeletons at them that have a
    few levels of fighter... or monk! Monk skeletons are a nice little
    shock to the system (literally and figuratively) for any party.

    The ability to apply the skeleton template to any race and then apply
    some class levels on top of that is something you should not pass up.
    There are endless combinations and flavors of encounter you can
    generate this way. Mix it up a bit by adding in other templates... what
    about a skeleton that's literally "from hell"? Just add the fiendish
    template on top of the skeleton template and a few levels of fighter or
    barbarian for a nice "undead footsoldier of the damned".

    If you don't use the flexibility of the 3.5 system, you're just playing
    a slightly more complicated 2nd edition. 3.5 is all about creating your
    OWN encounters and customizing everything about them to the flavor of
    your campaign.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    J.O. Aho wrote:

    > If I don't remember all to wrong, you have the spell "protection from

    > turning", can't not remember in which module I have seen it, could it
    have
    > been Thay?

    There's also simply the Turn Resistance feat.

    > Throw in a couple of zombies that has it cast on, then the group
    would have to
    > use their arm strength to solve the problem instead of relaiing on
    that the
    > priest earns 200xp and the rest of the group gets none.

    Ah... what? Is this some special exception rule I've never heard of
    (ok, I'm an old 1e hack, so I'll admit I could have missed it)? This
    sounds really wrong. If the fighter takes out an opponent on his own,
    you don't give the XP to just the one player. It is assumed that each
    player brings their own strengths to the combat, and while the cleric
    might turn some undead in this combat, the wizard might fireball the
    next group down before they have a chance to close, and a lucky crit
    from the ranger's magic bow might take out the next creature in short
    order.

    Experience should be evenly distributed (not counting level differences
    and XP penalties for multiclass) unless the party is physically
    seperated for an encounter.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Murf" wrote

    > Ghouls are always good for a laugh.
    >
    > Still, if the cleric in the party is lev 6 and has a half decent CHA,
    > undead will be a problem to DM

    Not if they come in waves..

    John
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    <AaronJSherman@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The original question also comes with another easy answer... if you
    > want to surprise your party, throw some skeletons at them that have a
    > few levels of fighter... or monk! Monk skeletons are a nice little
    > shock to the system (literally and figuratively) for any party.

    Hehe, I was already planning to do this with our party in a somewhat
    different manner. You see, we play 2E, where humanoids have fairly
    predictable statistics. A while ago, a lone kobold jumped out of the forest
    and threatened the party "Give me all your gold or I'll kill you all!
    MUAHAHA!!" They laughed and dispatched the guy after he attacked the
    party(kobolds not being the sharpest tool in the shed, dontchaknowit).

    I'm going to do basically the same thing again, except this time, it will be
    a lone kobold who jumps out in front of them, and he's actually part of a
    kobold adventuring party of sorts(ie higher levels of kobolds), with his
    friends waiting in the wings. He'll do the "gimme yer gold" bit, and they
    will laugh and probably just tell the thing to bugger off before they swat
    it, at which point the kobolds will attack from an ambush position. They'll
    just assume they can mow through them, so they'll do attack splitting and
    stuff like that, but they won't realize until it's too late that this is
    basically an NPC party like the PC's themselves.

    That skeleton idea is good too, I like it. I think I'm going to implement
    it at a "long abandoned monk cloister" setting. A bunch of long dead monk
    skeletons of varying levels, damn, that would be a tough fight, even without
    their special abilities!

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Murf wrote:
    > Ghouls are always good for a laugh.
    >
    > Still, if the cleric in the party is lev 6 and has a half decent CHA,
    > undead will be a problem to DM

    If I don't remember all to wrong, you have the spell "protection from
    turning", can't not remember in which module I have seen it, could it have
    been Thay?

    Throw in a couple of zombies that has it cast on, then the group would have to
    use their arm strength to solve the problem instead of relaiing on that the
    priest earns 200xp and the rest of the group gets none.

    //Aho
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    ajs@ajs.com wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >>If I don't remember all to wrong, you have the spell "protection from
    >>turning", can't not remember in which module I have seen it, could it
    >> have been Thay?
    > There's also simply the Turn Resistance feat.

    No feats in AD&D.

    >>Throw in a couple of zombies that has it cast on, then the group
    >>would have to
    >>use their arm strength to solve the problem instead of relaiing on
    >>that the
    >>priest earns 200xp and the rest of the group gets none.
    >
    > Ah... what? Is this some special exception rule I've never heard of
    > (ok, I'm an old 1e hack, so I'll admit I could have missed it)? This
    > sounds really wrong. If the fighter takes out an opponent on his own,
    > you don't give the XP to just the one player.

    At least I do class that creatures that are easilly turned, are classed as
    creatures that don't present a real threat, with other words 0XP for the whole
    group. The priest will still get XP forusing a granted power, which is only
    100XP (just messed it up with rouges who get the 200XP).

    //Aho
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:06:56 +0100, "J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> scribed
    into the ether:

    >ajs@ajs.com wrote:
    >> J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >>>If I don't remember all to wrong, you have the spell "protection from
    >>>turning", can't not remember in which module I have seen it, could it
    >>> have been Thay?
    >> There's also simply the Turn Resistance feat.
    >
    >No feats in AD&D.

    It's not a feat, but there are plenty of undead that are classified as
    more-difficult-to-turn than their HD would indicate. Just bump them up a
    rank on the turn chart.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:33:41 -0500, "Jeff Goslin"
    <autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > Hehe, I was already planning to do this with our party in a somewhat
    > different manner. You see, we play 2E, where humanoids have fairly
    > predictable statistics. A while ago, a lone kobold jumped out of the forest
    > and threatened the party "Give me all your gold or I'll kill you all!
    > MUAHAHA!!" They laughed and dispatched the guy after he attacked the
    > party(kobolds not being the sharpest tool in the shed, dontchaknowit).

    Would a human have done that? If not, why would a kobold? They have
    the same intelligence as humans in A/D&D.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    "Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > predictable statistics. A while ago, a lone kobold jumped out of the
    forest
    > > and threatened the party "Give me all your gold or I'll kill you all!
    > > MUAHAHA!!" They laughed and dispatched the guy after he attacked the
    > > party(kobolds not being the sharpest tool in the shed, dontchaknowit).
    >
    > Would a human have done that? If not, why would a kobold? They have
    > the same intelligence as humans in A/D&D.

    The encounter was more for a humorous interlude, rather than for any kind of
    reality. It was amusing to have the PCs get confronted by a lone kobold,
    demanding their money.

    It was a throwaway encounter for levity, nothing more. Perhaps it would
    have been more accurate to say "THIS kobold wasn't the brightest spark".

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    AaronJSherman@gmail.com wrote:
    > "Still, if the cleric in the party is lev 6 and has a half decent
    CHA,
    > undead will be a problem to DM "
    >
    > "Not if they come in waves.. "
    >
    > Yes. This is one of the easiest ways to accomplish the goal of
    widdling
    > down party resources and forcing the players to think about
    > conservation.
    >
    > The original question also comes with another easy answer... if you
    > want to surprise your party, throw some skeletons at them that have a
    > few levels of fighter... or monk! Monk skeletons are a nice little
    > shock to the system (literally and figuratively) for any party.
    >
    > The ability to apply the skeleton template to any race and then apply
    > some class levels on top of that is something you should not pass up.
    > There are endless combinations and flavors of encounter you can
    > generate this way. Mix it up a bit by adding in other templates...
    what
    > about a skeleton that's literally "from hell"? Just add the fiendish
    > template on top of the skeleton template and a few levels of fighter
    or
    > barbarian for a nice "undead footsoldier of the damned".

    If the person who solicited advice hasn't checked it out, they might
    want to look at Libris Mortis at their local library from interloan. I
    own it and found it to be a pretty damn good book for idea mining. And
    it throws some pretty unconventional monsters and spells from
    necromancy into the mix. I'm seriously considering running a
    necromancer with the necrotic cyst spells. They're simply vile and
    disgusting.

    > If you don't use the flexibility of the 3.5 system, you're just
    playing
    > a slightly more complicated 2nd edition. 3.5 is all about creating
    your
    > OWN encounters and customizing everything about them to the flavor of
    > your campaign.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:33:41 -0500, "Jeff Goslin"
    > <autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >
    > > Hehe, I was already planning to do this with our party in a
    somewhat
    > > different manner. You see, we play 2E, where humanoids have fairly
    > > predictable statistics. A while ago, a lone kobold jumped out of
    the forest
    > > and threatened the party "Give me all your gold or I'll kill you
    all!
    > > MUAHAHA!!" They laughed and dispatched the guy after he attacked
    the
    > > party(kobolds not being the sharpest tool in the shed,
    dontchaknowit).

    > Would a human have done that? If not, why would a kobold? They have
    > the same intelligence as humans in A/D&D.

    Maybe his kobold was retarded according to kobold standards. I kinda
    like his idea, but maybe he should have more than a single one waiting
    in the wings to make it more believable. Kobold does it, attacks, and
    his weak allies join in thinking numbers are on their side and make the
    last mistake they'll ever make. I've had a couple weak bandit gangs
    (level 1 warriors with level 2 fighter captain/level 1 fighter aide de
    camp) attack mid level parties near 8-11 in the wilderness because I
    would think it sometimes would happen. Not to mention that sometimes
    throwing these easy encounters at them shows real character growth in
    the world at large because at 1-2 level they know they'd be fighting
    for their lives whereas level dependant DR encounters only would make
    characters wonder what exactly is the point of leveling up if everyone
    is doing so at the same rate they are. Needless to say, the bandits
    posed no threat and the party quickly dispatched them. Using that
    experience, transfer it to another similar situation but use the
    uber-badass kobolds to give them a shock.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Rump Ranger wrote:
    >
    > > But since you're an old 1E hack, maybe you'd appreciate this
    reference.
    > > The DM could use the most *lame* creature type ever made:
    > > psuedo-undead. Gygax had to be high or worn out when he made that
    one
    > > up.
    >
    > As I never played 1E (only old D&D and AD&D2), so could you shortly
    descibe
    > thise psuedo-undead, could be fun to scare the PCs with something
    that don't
    > work as thought.

    My old Monster Manual II from the 1E days is packed away somewhere.
    After I got fed up with 2E, I jetisoned pretty much all 1E/2E rules and
    came back when 3E came out. So my memory is not perfect on exact
    stats, but psuedo-undead are in fact basically living humanoids who
    *appear* as undead in all respects but aren't. The only thing which
    makes them special is that adventurers will fear they are the real
    deal. Looking at ENWorld, it looks like they converted it to 3E:

    http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/template/pseudo-undead.htm

    All that said, what makes this lame concept so *totally stupid* is that
    they're actually weaker than the undead they mimic and the characters
    will automatically assume it's the real deal and whoomp 'em. Even
    attempting to turn and fail might convince them to use martial/magical
    might instead. It is possible the characters see a "psuedo-vampire" or
    ghost and run, but then again in 3E, vampires and ghosts can start
    appearing at pretty low levels since they're templates.

    > I have used a quite cool "undead" in an adventure for low level PCs,
    it's from
    > a Dragon magazine (don't recal the number). The PCs meets a skeleton
    that the
    > priest can't turn (even if the preist should be able), the funny
    thing is that
    > there is a wizard who uses unseen servants to move a skeleton, as if
    it was a
    > undead. Add a few rouges and/or fighters to that and you can lay an
    ambush.

    Yes, that is indeed a pretty slick idea. If your players don't know
    about it, they won't see it coming unless they detected magic on it or
    had a wizard doing recon from above or some other divination prepared,
    but in 3E some players might assume it's an advanced or templated one.
    In 3E, the DM can do some truly diabolical things without going all ad
    hoc.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > "Rump Ranger" <buttpirate@fadmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Maybe his kobold was retarded according to kobold standards. I
    kinda
    > > like his idea, but maybe he should have more than a single one
    waiting
    > > in the wings to make it more believable.
    >
    > The whole idea was to place something utterly defeatable in the path
    of the
    > PC's who was utterly convinced of his own invincability. The humor
    is in
    > the irony, guys, sheesh.

    Dude, I got it. You got a chuckle out of me when I read it and I was
    responding more to Rupert. The idea of a 1d4 hp kobold assuming he's
    able take on a party of high level adventurers is actually funny
    because it's *absurd* rather than ironic.

    > In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of
    archers
    > and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing
    as last
    > time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT
    > TICK!!

    If they're mature enough and don't masterbate on their character
    sheets, chances are they'll enjoy it.

    > > is doing so at the same rate they are. Needless to say, the
    bandits
    > > posed no threat and the party quickly dispatched them. Using that
    > > experience, transfer it to another similar situation but use the
    > > uber-badass kobolds to give them a shock.
    >
    > Yep, precisely. A band of truly effective kobolds would DEFINITELY
    be a
    > shocker for the party.

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Rump Ranger" <buttpirate@fadmail.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe his kobold was retarded according to kobold standards. I kinda
    > like his idea, but maybe he should have more than a single one waiting
    > in the wings to make it more believable.

    The whole idea was to place something utterly defeatable in the path of the
    PC's who was utterly convinced of his own invincability. The humor is in
    the irony, guys, sheesh.

    In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of archers
    and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing as last
    time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT A
    TICK!!

    > is doing so at the same rate they are. Needless to say, the bandits
    > posed no threat and the party quickly dispatched them. Using that
    > experience, transfer it to another similar situation but use the
    > uber-badass kobolds to give them a shock.

    Yep, precisely. A band of truly effective kobolds would DEFINITELY be a
    shocker for the party.

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Rump Ranger wrote:

    > But since you're an old 1E hack, maybe you'd appreciate this reference.
    > The DM could use the most *lame* creature type ever made:
    > psuedo-undead. Gygax had to be high or worn out when he made that one
    > up.

    As I never played 1E (only old D&D and AD&D2), so could you shortly descibe
    thise psuedo-undead, could be fun to scare the PCs with something that don't
    work as thought.

    I have used a quite cool "undead" in an adventure for low level PCs, it's from
    a Dragon magazine (don't recal the number). The PCs meets a skeleton that the
    priest can't turn (even if the preist should be able), the funny thing is that
    there is a wizard who uses unseen servants to move a skeleton, as if it was a
    undead. Add a few rouges and/or fighters to that and you can lay an ambush.

    //Aho
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    > > The whole idea was to place something utterly defeatable in the path
    > of the
    > > PC's who was utterly convinced of his own invincability. The humor
    > is in
    > > the irony, guys, sheesh.
    > >

    > Dude, I got it. You got a chuckle out of me when I read it and I was
    > responding more to Rupert. The idea of a 1d4 hp kobold assuming he's
    > able take on a party of high level adventurers is actually funny
    > because it's *absurd* rather than ironic.

    Yeah, well the joke was on them. It took MORE THAN ONE ROUND TO KILL THE
    THING!!! Since nobody took it seriously, the first thing that happened was
    a fighter tried to throw a warhammer at it, but critically missed, hitting
    the wizard behind him on the head. Everyone laughed, and the kobold didn't
    really know what to do(since he couldn't actually REACH any of them, given
    that they were on horseback). The NEXT round, the wizard had collected
    himself enough to actually cast a spell, said "screw it, I'm not going to
    leave this up to YOU inept idiots" and magic missiled the thing into
    oblivion. To say "overkill" would be a bit of an understatement.

    > > In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of
    > archers
    > > and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing
    > as last
    > > time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT
    > > TICK!!
    > >

    > If they're mature enough and don't masterbate on their character
    > sheets, chances are they'll enjoy it.

    Well, they are, and they ... uh... don't... *puzzled look* That whole
    "masturbating on character sheets" is an issue for your group? "Eww,
    Thundar is all sticky!"

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of archers
    > and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing as last
    > time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT A
    > TICK!!

    Kobold Stormtroopers, 60hp each ;)
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > Jeff Goslin wrote:
    >
    > > In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of
    archers
    > > and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing as
    last
    > > time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT A
    > > TICK!!
    >
    > Kobold Stormtroopers, 60hp each ;)

    Yep, that's about the size of it. They're used to kobolds falling off their
    swords as they are sliced n diced 50 per round. It will be a CONSIDERABLE
    shock if they are facing a group of actually TOUGH kobolds.

    "Huh? I have to actually FIGURE OUT the damage? But my minimum is more
    hitpoints than he can have?!?!... What the... uh oh! He's not using
    monster manual stats! SON of a *BITCH*!!"
    <scrambling noises as the PC's try to formulate a real plan while the first
    volley of arrows rains down>

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:41:36 -0500, "Jeff Goslin"
    <autockr@comcast.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

    >"J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Goslin wrote:
    >>
    >> > In the *NEXT* version, the lone kobold will be there with plenty of
    >archers
    >> > and wolves waiting in the wings. They'll assume it's the same thing as
    >last
    >> > time, laugh a bit and then (attempt to) dispatch the kobold, but WAIT A
    >> > TICK!!
    >>
    >> Kobold Stormtroopers, 60hp each ;)
    >
    >Yep, that's about the size of it. They're used to kobolds falling off their
    >swords as they are sliced n diced 50 per round. It will be a CONSIDERABLE
    >shock if they are facing a group of actually TOUGH kobolds.
    >
    >"Huh? I have to actually FIGURE OUT the damage? But my minimum is more
    >hitpoints than he can have?!?!... What the... uh oh! He's not using
    >monster manual stats! SON of a *BITCH*!!"
    ><scrambling noises as the PC's try to formulate a real plan while the first
    >volley of arrows rains down>

    Man, your players are a lot easier to trick than mine. Mine keep
    treating every threat as a credible one...

    --
    Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

    "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >"Huh? I have to actually FIGURE OUT the damage? But my minimum is more
    > >hitpoints than he can have?!?!... What the... uh oh! He's not using
    > >monster manual stats! SON of a *BITCH*!!"
    > ><scrambling noises as the PC's try to formulate a real plan while the
    first
    > >volley of arrows rains down>
    >
    > Man, your players are a lot easier to trick than mine. Mine keep
    > treating every threat as a credible one...

    Put them up against 10 threats that both appear weak and ARE weak in a row.
    They'll let their guard down.

    --

    <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > It's also in how the DM presents the little bastards. I like to use
    > them as tiny pairs of red eyes in the darkness that skitter away when
    > the PCs investigate. Later, they'll make their move at the most
    > inopportune time for the party, such as after a tough fight, or when
    > the party is picking their way out of a pit filled with poisoned
    > spikes.

    I used the old "candles in the darkness" routine a while ago. Several fog
    filled, darkened rooms, you describe two lights(they look like flames, sez
    DM) across the room, they investigate, it's candles lit and next to each
    other. Do that a few times, and then spring them with some monster that has
    flames for eyes(there's a bunch). That's always fun to have the party
    literally STROLL into combat range for you.

    > And, just to veer back to topic, kobold vampires could be fun. A whole
    > horde of the little beasts spider-climbing up the walls of your inn and
    > carrying off your familiar in the dead of night.

    Our damn wizard hasn't yet decided to get a familiar for me to
    steal/vampirize/kill, etc. It's somewhat annoying. ;)

    I like the vampiric kobolds though. Maybe you could forecast it by having
    the party find lots of miniature coffins. That would be funny.

    --

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > > And, just to veer back to topic, kobold vampires could be fun. A
    whole
    > > horde of the little beasts spider-climbing up the walls of your inn
    and
    > > carrying off your familiar in the dead of night.
    >
    > Our damn wizard hasn't yet decided to get a familiar for me to
    > steal/vampirize/kill, etc. It's somewhat annoying. ;)
    >
    > I like the vampiric kobolds though. Maybe you could forecast it by
    having
    > the party find lots of miniature coffins. That would be funny.

    Heh. You could go creepy, too. The batch of vampire kobolds could be
    using empty wine casks in some noble's cellar as their "coffins" from
    which they venture out every night to work evil and steal children. As
    a result, the noble gains this undeserved reputation for vampirism, and
    the resultant hatred and fear from the commoners of his land. For
    further red herring goodness, give the noble a sickly pallor or a
    retiring demeanor to enhance the misconception. Even worse, the noble
    is broke. His estate is crumbling from disrepair, and he lives alone
    except for a few loyal retainers that are sworn to serve his family.

    The party would initially be drawn in to investigate the "vampire" in
    the old manor, only to eventually have to solve the real mystery and
    save the noble from being staked by superstitious peasants.

    Doesn't have to be kobolds, of course, but the players would never
    expect it.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    David Alex Lamb wrote:
    > In article <1111833822.990783.123060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    > Rump Ranger <buttpirate@fadmail.com> wrote:

    > >That's what I think Jeff is doing. I can believe there are some
    uber
    > >kobolds out there (especially with 3E campaigns). High class types
    > >who've done a lot of exploring or are scouts who keep their lairs
    > >hidden from possible interlopers. Every race IMC has exceptional
    > >individuals.
    >
    > However, instead of creating a bunch of very high level kobolds, it
    seems to
    > me a 3e campaign should simply apply the demographics rules for
    highest level
    > character(s) in a community of a particular size. So you wouldn't
    have a 20th
    > level kobold fighter in a community of 100.

    This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Assuming that elusive
    "standard" campaign world, I think a few exceptional individuals are
    well and good, but more 3rd-level cheiftains and such, not 20th-level
    powerhouses. Kobolds that exceptional might exist IMC, but only as PCs
    or some Abyssal "lord of kobolds" type of thing.

    Running into a kobold over level 10 is a stretch, I think, but again
    YMMV. I've certainly run campaigns in the past where high-level
    humanoids were appropriate and not uncommon.

    There's certainly room for situational exceptions, particularly when
    applying templates. A bunch of half-fiend or kobolds, for example,
    might be fun in some cursed region of the Underdark where some demonic
    artifact has been lodged for millennia.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Rump Ranger wrote:

    > My old Monster Manual II from the 1E days is packed away somewhere.
    > After I got fed up with 2E, I jetisoned pretty much all 1E/2E rules
    and
    > came back when 3E came out. So my memory is not perfect on exact
    > stats, but psuedo-undead are in fact basically living humanoids who
    > *appear* as undead in all respects but aren't. The only thing which
    > makes them special is that adventurers will fear they are the real
    > deal. Looking at ENWorld, it looks like they converted it to 3E:
    >
    > http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/template/pseudo-undead.htm
    >
    > All that said, what makes this lame concept so *totally stupid* is
    that
    > they're actually weaker than the undead they mimic and the characters
    > will automatically assume it's the real deal and whoomp 'em. Even
    > attempting to turn and fail might convince them to use
    martial/magical
    > might instead. It is possible the characters see a "psuedo-vampire"
    or
    > ghost and run, but then again in 3E, vampires and ghosts can start
    > appearing at pretty low levels since they're templates.

    The only real use for this template that comes to mind is for some sort
    of "death cult" of living beings that take on the countanance of the
    undead through twisted rituals or bizarre practices. I could see using
    pseudo-vampires as hereditary protectors and servants of real vampires,
    for example, or worshippers of dark gods that demand blood-drenched
    sacrifices.

    I don't know that I'd use them as some sort of bait-and-switch, though,
    for the reasons you mention.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    "David Alex Lamb" <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote in message
    > I can confidently assert that these ideas are charactistics of 8-year-old
    > players. We have the "no character death unless you insist on doing
    something
    > stupid" variant of script immunity, and he named both of his characters
    after
    > himself.

    Actually, your 8 year old comment is pretty much spot on target. At first,
    I was kind of hesitant to invite him to leave, because he hadn't really done
    anything overt towards me, but there was quite a bit of animosity at the
    table between players. However, I could see where it was going and I had to
    decide between losing one player or all players, and decided on the former,
    and opted to invite him to leave. He had a temper tantrum(he's about 30).
    It made my decision so much easier it wasn't even funny.

    --

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > I like the vampiric kobolds though. Maybe you could forecast it
    by
    > > having
    > > > the party find lots of miniature coffins. That would be funny.
    > >
    > > Heh. You could go creepy, too. The batch of vampire kobolds could
    be
    > > using empty wine casks in some noble's cellar as their "coffins"
    from
    > > which they venture out every night to work evil and steal children.
    As
    > > a result, the noble gains this undeserved reputation for vampirism,
    and
    > > the resultant hatred and fear from the commoners of his land. For
    > > further red herring goodness, give the noble a sickly pallor or a
    > > retiring demeanor to enhance the misconception. Even worse, the
    noble
    > > is broke. His estate is crumbling from disrepair, and he lives
    alone
    > > except for a few loyal retainers that are sworn to serve his
    family.

    > Not bad. How would the local lord not know about them, though? I
    mean if
    > they emerge, they either have to go thru the house(!!what's that
    > racket!!*snurrggh**flahhh*flergh!*) or he would never actually drink
    the
    > wine he owns and it's in a separate building or something. Figure
    that
    > little snag out, and you've got yourself a good red herring type
    adventure.
    > Personally, I *REALLY* like red herring adventures.

    Well, it may be that there's an old tunnel leading from the wine cellar
    to somewhere outside the estate grounds. For whatever reason the lord
    doesn't have much use for the cellar anymore, and/or isn't aware of the
    tunnel. He's certainly not doing much entertaining, and given his
    situation, he may be on to stronger things nowadays than wine. The
    kobolds themselves would likely be pretty stealthy anyway, vampires are
    silent, and can always do the mist thing to come and go. Bat form is
    also an option, and would likely escape notice in an enormous,
    crumbling manor house that probably has all manner of vermin in the
    rafters and only a handful of human residents.

    > > The party would initially be drawn in to investigate the "vampire"
    in
    > > the old manor, only to eventually have to solve the real mystery
    and
    > > save the noble from being staked by superstitious peasants.
    >
    > Save the noble you've originally set out to kill for his vampirism, I
    like
    > it.
    >
    > > Doesn't have to be kobolds, of course, but the players would never
    > > expect it.
    >
    > Kobolds are so innocuous that they would be perfect for it.

    It could also work with gnomes, wierdly enough.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Rump Ranger wrote:
    > madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > > And, just to veer back to topic, kobold vampires could be fun. A
    > whole
    > > horde of the little beasts spider-climbing up the walls of your inn
    > and
    > > carrying off your familiar in the dead of night.
    > >

    > Heh. Now that's evil. It's one reason I'm hesitant to actually get
    > familiars when I played classes that allow them.

    Yeah, you can overdo this kind of thing. I enjoy using animals and
    children as plot hooks, not always in a mean way. I like my players to
    get pets for their characters, after all, so I don't want to scare them
    away from the practice.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    > > wine he owns and it's in a separate building or something. Figure
    > that
    > > little snag out, and you've got yourself a good red herring type
    > adventure.
    > > Personally, I *REALLY* like red herring adventures.
    >
    > Well, it may be that there's an old tunnel leading from the wine cellar
    > to somewhere outside the estate grounds. For whatever reason the lord
    > doesn't have much use for the cellar anymore, and/or isn't aware of the
    > tunnel. He's certainly not doing much entertaining, and given his
    > situation, he may be on to stronger things nowadays than wine.

    The really funny part comes when the party first encounters the lord in a
    somewhat sinister appearing place. Imagine, a darkened parlor, a crackling
    fire in the backround, a large high backed chair facing the fire, back to
    the door. The old man hears the door open, and peers around the chair at
    the door. In your best vampiric voice possible, "Doooo come in... Please,
    sit down, enjoy the comforts I can offer you on this dark and forboding
    night..." Mr Paladin steps up to the plate, "I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT FOR,
    MISTER!!!" He strides over to the old guy in the chair, "HAVE AT YOU!!
    HA*HA!!!*" With that, he plunges a wooden stake into the guy's chest.
    *gurgle* *gasp* *spit up blood* *die in arms of paladin*... "err, well,
    I.... hrm... that was easy..." Player turns to DM... "So, I suppose a
    'woops' is in order right about now, huh?" "I should say so, yes..."

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Rump Ranger wrote:

    <snip story>

    > My point is, some people get so attached to their D&D
    > characters that they can sometimes break down to tears
    > when they're killed. It's kinda like players who name
    > all characters after themselves.

    Interestingly, naming a character after yourself is considered to be a
    major warning sign of a "Mary Sue" story (fanfiction or otherwise).

    I suspect this is not a coincidence. :)

    http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/otto/grayswandir/mary-sue-test.html

    Arivne

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > The really funny part comes when the party first encounters the lord
    in a
    > somewhat sinister appearing place. Imagine, a darkened parlor, a
    crackling
    > fire in the backround, a large high backed chair facing the fire,
    back to
    > the door. The old man hears the door open, and peers around the
    chair at
    > the door. In your best vampiric voice possible, "Doooo come in...
    Please,
    > sit down, enjoy the comforts I can offer you on this dark and
    forboding
    > night..." Mr Paladin steps up to the plate, "I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT FOR,
    > MISTER!!!" He strides over to the old guy in the chair, "HAVE AT
    YOU!!
    > HA*HA!!!*" With that, he plunges a wooden stake into the guy's
    chest.
    > *gurgle* *gasp* *spit up blood* *die in arms of paladin*... "err,
    well,
    > I.... hrm... that was easy..." Player turns to DM... "So, I suppose
    > 'woops' is in order right about now, huh?" "I should say so, yes..."

    Reminds me of "Transylvania 6-5000" for some reason.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:48:19 -0500, Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > The really funny part comes when the party first encounters the lord in a
    > somewhat sinister appearing place. Imagine, a darkened parlor, a crackling
    > fire in the backround, a large high backed chair facing the fire, back to
    > the door. The old man hears the door open, and peers around the chair at
    > the door. In your best vampiric voice possible, "Doooo come in... Please,
    > sit down, enjoy the comforts I can offer you on this dark and forboding
    > night..." Mr Paladin steps up to the plate, "I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT FOR,
    > MISTER!!!" He strides over to the old guy in the chair, "HAVE AT YOU!!
    > HA*HA!!!*" With that, he plunges a wooden stake into the guy's chest.
    > *gurgle* *gasp* *spit up blood* *die in arms of paladin*... "err, well,
    > I.... hrm... that was easy..." Player turns to DM... "So, I suppose a
    > 'woops' is in order right about now, huh?" "I should say so, yes..."

    This makes a fine example of a situation where a paladin _should_ be
    firing off his ability to detect evil.

    "Hmmm. Guys, something's wrong here: He isn't a vampire."

    --
    Phoenix

    "Rick Pikul" <rwpikul@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:48:19 -0500, Jeff Goslin wrote:
    >
    > > The really funny part comes when the party first encounters the lord in
    > > somewhat sinister appearing place. Imagine, a darkened parlor, a
    crackling
    > > fire in the backround, a large high backed chair facing the fire, back
    > > the door. The old man hears the door open, and peers around the chair
    at
    > > the door. In your best vampiric voice possible, "Doooo come in...
    Please,
    > > sit down, enjoy the comforts I can offer you on this dark and forboding
    > > night..." Mr Paladin steps up to the plate, "I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT FOR,
    > > MISTER!!!" He strides over to the old guy in the chair, "HAVE AT YOU!!
    > > HA*HA!!!*" With that, he plunges a wooden stake into the guy's chest.
    > > *gurgle* *gasp* *spit up blood* *die in arms of paladin*... "err, well,
    > > I.... hrm... that was easy..." Player turns to DM... "So, I suppose a
    > > 'woops' is in order right about now, huh?" "I should say so, yes..."
    >
    > This makes a fine example of a situation where a paladin _should_ be
    > firing off his ability to detect evil.
    >

    > "Hmmm. Guys, something's wrong here: He isn't a vampire."

    Edit, Replace, search for: Paladin, replace with: Dumb As FencePost
    Fighter... ;)

    On a side note, work on that sense of humor, it's a bit rusty. ;)

    --

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:35:29 -0500, Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > "Rick Pikul" <rwpikul@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >> This makes a fine example of a situation where a paladin _should_ be
    >> firing off his ability to detect evil.
    >>

    >> "Hmmm. Guys, something's wrong here: He isn't a vampire."
    >
    > Edit, Replace, search for: Paladin, replace with: Dumb As FencePost
    > Fighter... ;)
    >
    > On a side note, work on that sense of humor, it's a bit rusty. ;)

    Actually, I was more making note that you came up with a very good
    example, even if it was intended to be humourous. In fact, the
    "funny-oops" nature of it is part of what makes it a good example.

    --

    > > Edit, Replace, search for: Paladin, replace with: Dumb As FencePost
    > > Fighter... ;)
    > >
    > > On a side note, work on that sense of humor, it's a bit rusty. ;)
    >
    > Actually, I was more making note that you came up with a very good
    > example, even if it was intended to be humourous. In fact, the
    > "funny-oops" nature of it is part of what makes it a good example.

    Well, thank you. Personally, I like putting characters in situations that
    have a humorous silver lining in them. We play for fun, after all. I don't
    think I can recall a recent adventure that DIDN'T have at least one humorous
    encounter. I mean, it's not all clowny and stuff, we do serious stuff too,
    but it's fun to let your hair down once in an 8 hour session, ya know? It's
    what we do to unwind, after all.

    --

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > "Mouse" <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>>"Huh? I have to actually FIGURE OUT the damage? But my minimum is more
    >>>hitpoints than he can have?!?!... What the... uh oh! He's not using
    >>>monster manual stats! SON of a *BITCH*!!"
    >>><scrambling noises as the PC's try to formulate a real plan while the
    >
    > first
    >
    >>>volley of arrows rains down>
    >>
    >>Man, your players are a lot easier to trick than mine. Mine keep
    >>treating every threat as a credible one...
    >

    > Put them up against 10 threats that both appear weak and ARE weak in a row.
    > They'll let their guard down.

    Then, you give them a kobold named Brucius Banerius... "Don't make me
    abgry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > <madafro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>>I like the vampiric kobolds though. Maybe you could forecast it by
    >>
    >>having
    >>
    >>>the party find lots of miniature coffins. That would be funny.
    >>
    >>Heh. You could go creepy, too. The batch of vampire kobolds could be
    >>using empty wine casks in some noble's cellar as their "coffins" from
    >>which they venture out every night to work evil and steal children. As
    >>a result, the noble gains this undeserved reputation for vampirism, and
    >>the resultant hatred and fear from the commoners of his land. For
    >>further red herring goodness, give the noble a sickly pallor or a
    >>retiring demeanor to enhance the misconception. Even worse, the noble
    >>is broke. His estate is crumbling from disrepair, and he lives alone
    >>except for a few loyal retainers that are sworn to serve his family.
    >

    > Not bad. How would the local lord not know about them, though? I mean if
    > they emerge, they either have to go thru the house(!!what's that
    > racket!!*snurrggh**flahhh*flergh!*) or he would never actually drink the
    > wine he owns and it's in a separate building or something. Figure that
    > little snag out, and you've got yourself a good red herring type adventure.
    > Personally, I *REALLY* like red herring adventures.
    >

    >>The party would initially be drawn in to investigate the "vampire" in
    >>the old manor, only to eventually have to solve the real mystery and
    >>save the noble from being staked by superstitious peasants.
    >

    > Save the noble you've originally set out to kill for his vampirism, I like
    > it.
    >

    >>Doesn't have to be kobolds, of course, but the players would never
    >>expect it.
    >

    > Kobolds are so innocuous that they would be perfect for it.

    Maybe the Noble is so poor that rather than continue paying his
    servants, he dismissed them and hired Kobolds to be his servants a
    couple decades ago. That's why they are there.

    Of course, they weren't vampiric at the time. That happened in the last
    couple months/years, when a vampiric kobold heard about the sweet lair
    the other kobolds were living in, came around, and 'took over' the tribe.

    They haven't killed the noble, because he unwittingly provides
    protection to their predations, being embarrassed to have kobolds as
    servants, he doesn't allow anyone into the central keep, so no one else
    knows they are around.

    madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > David Alex Lamb wrote:
    >
    >>In article <1111833822.990783.123060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    >>Rump Ranger <buttpirate@fadmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>That's what I think Jeff is doing. I can believe there are some
    >
    > uber
    >
    >>>kobolds out there (especially with 3E campaigns). High class types
    >>>who've done a lot of exploring or are scouts who keep their lairs
    >>>hidden from possible interlopers. Every race IMC has exceptional
    >>>individuals.
    >>
    >>However, instead of creating a bunch of very high level kobolds, it
    >
    > seems to
    >
    >>me a 3e campaign should simply apply the demographics rules for
    >
    > highest level
    >
    >>character(s) in a community of a particular size. So you wouldn't
    >
    > have a 20th
    >
    >>level kobold fighter in a community of 100.
    >

    > This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Assuming that elusive
    > "standard" campaign world, I think a few exceptional individuals are
    > well and good, but more 3rd-level cheiftains and such, not 20th-level
    > powerhouses. Kobolds that exceptional might exist IMC, but only as PCs
    > or some Abyssal "lord of kobolds" type of thing.
    >
    > Running into a kobold over level 10 is a stretch, I think, but again
    > YMMV. I've certainly run campaigns in the past where high-level
    > humanoids were appropriate and not uncommon.
    >
    > There's certainly room for situational exceptions, particularly when
    > applying templates. A bunch of half-fiend or kobolds, for example,
    > might be fun in some cursed region of the Underdark where some demonic
    > artifact has been lodged for millennia.

    In an OD&D game I was in many years back, we ended up with a clutch of
    Kobold Eggs, and decided to take them home and hatch them (We were quite
    low level at the time).

    By the time the campaign ended (due to graduations, marriages etc), we
    were in the 15-17 level range, and the kobolds were trusty NPCs and
    companions, with levels ranging from 3 to 7.

    If you encounter kobolds laired in an empty mage's tower, the leaders
    may very well have been that mage's trusted companions, so watch out.

    Imagine the same situation in 3E: The tribe is lead by former
    followers/cohorts of an adeventuring party that retired. The hundred or
    so kobolds you've just met may well include a dozen fighters and
    wizard/sorceror-types in the 6 to 10 level range, all trained and tested
    in the 'Big Leagues' of Dungeon Delving. These leader types have
    trained their new tribe, so many, if not all will be leveled, the
    exceptional among them being 3rd to fifth level.

    So, whattya got?
    5 Fighter Types leveled 5 to 10
    5 Wizard Types leveled 5 to 10
    10 Fighter Types leveled 3 to 5
    10 Wizard Types leveled 3 to 5
    15 Fighter Types leveled 1 to 3
    15 Wizard Types leveled 1 to 3
    40 Normal Kobolds

    With experience coupled to innate cunning.

    *shudder*

PCS Games Video Games