Which Laptop 5150 or 8600

I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I will be
getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world magazine
that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't know
what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read that
the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about which laptop 5150 8600

    "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I will
    be
    > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world magazine
    > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    know
    > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read
    that
    > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    I have a 5150 and have not noticed any heat issues. The 5150 replaced my
    Inspiron 8100 and the 8100 got hotter. The 5150 does have good battery life
    for a laptop running that powerful of a processor - I get about 4 hours with
    the screen on all the time. I use AutoCAD on the machine from time to time
    without any issues. Sorry, I'm not a gamer.

    I went with the 5150 over the other Inspirons because the 5150 has a true
    Pentium 4. From what I have read, the Pentium 4 is much faster when doing a
    lot of multi-tasking - I have an Oracle Database and several other "hogs"
    running in the background most of the time. The Pentium M, again from what
    I read during research, looses much of its speed when multiple apps are
    processing at one time. Isn't the Pentium M based on the Pentium 3
    architecture, just reved up?

    Things to keep in mind if you go with a 5150...

    It is basically a USB peripheral computer - ther is no mouse port, no
    keyboard port, no parallel port, no serial port. It does have one
    1394/firewire port and two USB 2.0 ports, monitor, network, and one PCMCIA
    slot.

    Hope that helps...

    PM

    I believe you are correct out the mobil being a souped up p3. I had read
    that in a chat group earlier today.

    I don't have a problem with missing serial and parallel ports. Those are
    dead anyway. Everything is either usb or firewire. I will look further at
    the 5150. Thanks for the help.

    "Phillip T. Murphy" <pStPmAuMrphy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I
    will
    > be
    > > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world
    magazine
    > > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    > know
    > > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    > > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read
    > that
    > > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have a 5150 and have not noticed any heat issues. The 5150 replaced my
    > Inspiron 8100 and the 8100 got hotter. The 5150 does have good battery
    life
    > for a laptop running that powerful of a processor - I get about 4 hours
    with
    > the screen on all the time. I use AutoCAD on the machine from time to
    time
    > without any issues. Sorry, I'm not a gamer.
    >
    > I went with the 5150 over the other Inspirons because the 5150 has a true
    > Pentium 4. From what I have read, the Pentium 4 is much faster when doing
    > lot of multi-tasking - I have an Oracle Database and several other "hogs"
    > running in the background most of the time. The Pentium M, again from
    what
    > I read during research, looses much of its speed when multiple apps are
    > processing at one time. Isn't the Pentium M based on the Pentium 3
    > architecture, just reved up?
    >
    > Things to keep in mind if you go with a 5150...
    >
    > It is basically a USB peripheral computer - ther is no mouse port, no
    > keyboard port, no parallel port, no serial port. It does have one
    > 1394/firewire port and two USB 2.0 ports, monitor, network, and one PCMCIA
    > slot.
    >
    > Hope that helps...
    >
    > PM

    The 8600 is more solidly built than the 5150, which is a 'value' system, and
    that shows. It's heavy and on many of the samples I've seen, creaky.

    The display on the 8600 is widescreen; it's not on the 5150.
    The 5150 is much more limited in video (max nVidia 5200 or Radeon 9000, 64M)
    than the 8600 (Radeon9600 Pro Turbo 128M max).

    The 8600 uses a cooler-running PentiumM; the 5150, a mobile P4 (the latter
    is on it's way out; all future Intel mobile CPUs will be based on the more
    Athlon-like PentiumM architecture).

    The 8600 is large but not as bulky as the 5150.

    Whichever you decide on, get a 3-year warranty covering at least return to
    depot service - particularly with the 5150, which hasn't been the world's
    champion at reliability.

    "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I will
    be
    > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world magazine
    > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    know
    > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read
    that
    > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    I have the Inspiron 9100, which may be considered a "big brother" to the
    5150.

    Three quick thoughts. First off, I think the real P4's may be more powerful
    when multi-tasking because of the Hyperthreading. However, I'm not sure if
    that's enabled/available on the 5150.

    Second, the 9100/5150/XPS don't have docking stations available for them. I
    really really wish they did. Only option is a USB docking station, which is
    no better than a hub, really. Other people don't necessarily care about
    that.

    If you run AutoCad professionaly, you might want to look at the M60
    workstation. That's the one I wanted, but I couldn't fit it in my budget.
    As far as I know, it's the only one with "certified" video drivers. Don't
    know if that would make a difference to you or not.

    Clint

    > I believe you are correct out the mobil being a souped up p3. I had read
    > that in a chat group earlier today.
    >
    > I don't have a problem with missing serial and parallel ports. Those are
    > dead anyway. Everything is either usb or firewire. I will look further at
    > the 5150. Thanks for the help.
    >

    > "Phillip T. Murphy" <pStPmAuMrphy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I
    > will
    > > be
    > > > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world
    > magazine
    > > > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    > > know
    > > > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about
    equal
    > > > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also
    read
    > > that
    > > > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be
    appreciated.

    > > I have a 5150 and have not noticed any heat issues. The 5150 replaced
    my
    > > Inspiron 8100 and the 8100 got hotter. The 5150 does have good battery
    > life
    > > for a laptop running that powerful of a processor - I get about 4 hours
    > with
    > > the screen on all the time. I use AutoCAD on the machine from time to
    > time
    > > without any issues. Sorry, I'm not a gamer.
    > >
    > > I went with the 5150 over the other Inspirons because the 5150 has a
    true
    > > Pentium 4. From what I have read, the Pentium 4 is much faster when
    doing
    > > lot of multi-tasking - I have an Oracle Database and several other
    "hogs"
    > > running in the background most of the time. The Pentium M, again from
    > what
    > > I read during research, looses much of its speed when multiple apps are
    > > processing at one time. Isn't the Pentium M based on the Pentium 3
    > > architecture, just reved up?
    > >
    > > Things to keep in mind if you go with a 5150...
    > >
    > > It is basically a USB peripheral computer - ther is no mouse port, no
    > > keyboard port, no parallel port, no serial port. It does have one
    > > 1394/firewire port and two USB 2.0 ports, monitor, network, and one
    PCMCIA
    > > slot.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps...
    > >
    > > PM

    I have the 8600 and run AutoCAD fine and play Call of Duty over the
    Internet with no problems. The only problem with gaming over the
    Internet is when I use dialup, the ping is slow, over DSL it is fine.
    Have had the 8600 for a year with no problem. When gaming the fan does
    come on and it heats up because COD is graphics and processor intensive.
    My 86oo is a 1.3Pentium M with the 1Mb of cache, the new ones are
    1.5Pent. M with 2 Mb of cache, must be faster, mine was equivalent to
    about a 2.2MHz P4. I can run between 3.5 and 4 hours.

    I don't thing you would have a problem with either machine, get the
    cheaper one, then when your tired of it years from know, you'll have
    that much more money to get a newer faster updated machine, these things
    are outdated when they leave the factory, or the money you save you can
    spend on games, either machine will run anything out there!

    Greg wrote:
    > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I will be
    > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world magazine
    > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't know
    > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read that
    > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    I went with the 8600. I think I will be happy with it.

    "W" <fstop@rcn.com> wrote in message
    > I have the 8600 and run AutoCAD fine and play Call of Duty over the
    > Internet with no problems. The only problem with gaming over the
    > Internet is when I use dialup, the ping is slow, over DSL it is fine.
    > Have had the 8600 for a year with no problem. When gaming the fan does
    > come on and it heats up because COD is graphics and processor intensive.
    > My 86oo is a 1.3Pentium M with the 1Mb of cache, the new ones are
    > 1.5Pent. M with 2 Mb of cache, must be faster, mine was equivalent to
    > about a 2.2MHz P4. I can run between 3.5 and 4 hours.
    >
    > I don't thing you would have a problem with either machine, get the
    > cheaper one, then when your tired of it years from know, you'll have
    > that much more money to get a newer faster updated machine, these things
    > are outdated when they leave the factory, or the money you save you can
    > spend on games, either machine will run anything out there!
    >
    > Greg wrote:
    > > I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I
    will be
    > > getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world
    magazine
    > > that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    know
    > > what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    > > between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read
    that
    > > the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    I think you will be happy, give us a report after using it for a while!

    Greg wrote:
    > I went with the 8600. I think I will be happy with it.
    >

    > "W" <fstop@rcn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have the 8600 and run AutoCAD fine and play Call of Duty over the
    >>Internet with no problems. The only problem with gaming over the
    >>Internet is when I use dialup, the ping is slow, over DSL it is fine.
    >>Have had the 8600 for a year with no problem. When gaming the fan does
    >>come on and it heats up because COD is graphics and processor intensive.
    >>My 86oo is a 1.3Pentium M with the 1Mb of cache, the new ones are
    >>1.5Pent. M with 2 Mb of cache, must be faster, mine was equivalent to
    >>about a 2.2MHz P4. I can run between 3.5 and 4 hours.
    >>
    >>I don't thing you would have a problem with either machine, get the
    >>cheaper one, then when your tired of it years from know, you'll have
    >>that much more money to get a newer faster updated machine, these things
    >>are outdated when they leave the factory, or the money you save you can
    >>spend on games, either machine will run anything out there!
    >>
    >>Greg wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking at either the 5150 or the 8600. If I get the 8600 then I
    >
    > will be
    >
    >>>getting the processor with 2mb of cache. But I read in pc world
    >
    > magazine
    >
    >>>that the 5150 mobil p4 (512k of cache) has great battery life. I don't
    >
    > know
    >
    >>>what the battery life is on the 8600. Is the processor speed about equal
    >>>between the two? I will be using it for AutoCAD and Gaming. I also read
    >
    > that
    >
    >>>the 5150 heats up pretty good. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Dell Computers