[NS] My first few times playing ADOM

Hey there, I've been a Nethack player for a few years but I just
recently started playing Adom. The farthest I've gotten is clearing
the dungeon with the guy who's gone mad and attacks you. I kind of
spoiled myself heavily with Nethack and I'd like to try the opposite
with ADOM. Hence the [NS] tag in the post subject; NO SPOILERS
please!!

I've been playing mainly strong races and melee classes. My most
successful character so far has been a troll fighter. I have one
question - how do you untrap traps? In Nethack it's #untrap, but I
couldn't find an equivalent command in ADOM. I've lost a lot of good
loot to exploding and falling doors because I didn't know how to check
them for traps, let alone disable those traps. And I haven't found a
key yet, and sometimes it's necessary to get through those doors to go
further down, so I don't really have a choice but to take the risk and
kick.

Alright, that's it for now. I might ask for help a little bit along
the way if I get stuck and keep dying in the same situation over and
over. Right now though I seem to be making progress (except for the
damn trapped doors!)

Hey there, I've been a Nethack player for a few years but I just
recently started playing Adom.

Welcome!!!

I've lost a lot of good
loot to exploding and falling doors because I didn't know how to check
them for traps

"s"earch for them. To disarm them you need the Disarm Traps skill. The
manual mentions there is a chance of setting the trap off by doing this

Good luck!

Darren Grey wrote:

> I would recommend you try out a few different classes other than the
> "strong" fighter-types. Each person has their own playstyle, and
> experimenting around can help you find the right choice for you. As I'm
> sure you know from Nethack brute force doesn't always work. Also, tactics
> (controlled with T or the F1-F7 keys) will save your life if you're not
> using them already.

The tactics almost seem ... unfair? Especially the +hit bonuses of the
aggressive stances. And ESPECIALLY in the early game when things can't
hit you much anyway but you may have some problems hitting them. Using
a berserker stance means you can easily hit for a lot of damage while
twoweaponing, killing the enemy before he has a chance to hit you.
While if you were in a normal stance, you'd be missing a lot more and
he'd actually get chances to hit you and rack up more damage. I
haven't really used the defensive stances but I imagine when you're
running away rather than attacking you'd want to use one of them.

> Well, good luck to you, and enjoy exploring the Drakalor Chain. I'd be
> curious to hear how you get on, and your impressions of the many areas from
> an unspoilt perspective.

It's very funny playing ADOM. Almost everything is different but every
so often I'm reminded that I'm playing a Roguelike. "You hear a
shopkeeper cursing thieves" comes to mind. I also like that commands
like chat, open, close, etc., which are always directional in Nethack
happen automatically in ADOM if there is only one adjacent
object/person to interact with.

I've seen this manual of bridge building once or twice and I'm very
confused as to why a list of skills like Herbalism, Healing, First Aid,
etc., would include such a specific engineering skill, but I suppose
I'll find out later.

Darren Grey wrote:

> Well, good luck to you, and enjoy exploring the Drakalor Chain. I'd be
> curious to hear how you get on, and your impressions of the many areas from
> an unspoilt perspective.

Ohhh, some things I've learned. I've been playing archers a lot
lately.
If you're fighting against a line of enemies, always aim at the enemy
in the rear. If you aim at the enemy in the front and miss, the arrow
just drops at his feet, but if you aim at the enemy in the rear,
there's a good chance it may hit some of the enemies in the way too.
Also, I like breaking down doors to get fodder to make arrows out of.

I still haven't figured out these altars yet. I've been offering on
them a lot and various gods are getting pissed at me, but no
Nethack-style conversions. Ah well. I also haven't figured out a way
to uncurse my things. Holy water, anyone?

Ohhh, and don't answer my rhetorical questions. I don't want to become
spoiled!!

Cyde Weys wrote:
> I've been playing mainly strong races and melee classes. My most
> successful character so far has been a troll fighter. I have one
> question - how do you untrap traps?

You 'a'pply the Disarm Traps skill. Not all races/classes have this,
though.

L&c,

Elethiomel wrote:

> You may notice that you use 1 use of your fletchery set to make arrows
> out of 1 stick of wood. Maybe there's a way of getting more arrows per
> use of the fletchery set?

Hah! Good point. I've been using fletchery sets on one stick of wood
at a time. I guess that was rather wasteful! Now I have none left ...
I hope I can buy them from somewhere later on.

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Darren Grey wrote:
>

>>I would recommend you try out a few different classes other than the
>>"strong" fighter-types. Each person has their own playstyle, and
>>experimenting around can help you find the right choice for you. As I'm
>>sure you know from Nethack brute force doesn't always work. Also, tactics
>>(controlled with T or the F1-F7 keys) will save your life if you're not
>>using them already.
>
> The tactics almost seem ... unfair? Especially the +hit bonuses of the
> aggressive stances. And ESPECIALLY in the early game when things can't
> hit you much anyway but you may have some problems hitting them. Using
> a berserker stance means you can easily hit for a lot of damage while
> twoweaponing, killing the enemy before he has a chance to hit you.
> While if you were in a normal stance, you'd be missing a lot more and
> he'd actually get chances to hit you and rack up more damage. I
> haven't really used the defensive stances but I imagine when you're
> running away rather than attacking you'd want to use one of them.

They're certainly not unfair. Highly useful, yes, but not unfair. :)

You're right about the advantages of Very Aggressive or Berserk; but the
DV (hit-avoidance) penalty is often worse than you think. Going V.
Aggressive or Berserk in combat is one of the fastest ways to end up
dead, if you're surrounded.

Conversely, those tactics can be lifesavers. Especially for non-fighter
classes, some of the critters you're likely to run into in the early
game (fire beetles come to mind) have pretty high PV. The extra damage
boost from those tactics can be the line between being badly hurt (but
winning) and being dead.

Coward tactics are more useful for classes that don't rely on melee to
deal damage. Wizards are the prime example of this, followed by archers
(to a degree) and sometimes mindcrafters. Incidentally, walking around
on coward might have an influence on dodging some of those traps you'd
rather not run into.

> I've seen this manual of bridge building once or twice and I'm very
> confused as to why a list of skills like Herbalism, Healing, First Aid,
> etc., would include such a specific engineering skill, but I suppose
> I'll find out later.

You haven't seen the (W)ipe Face and Clean (E)ar commands, have you? :)

Cyde Weys (cyde@umd.edu) writes:
> Elethiomel wrote:
>
>> You may notice that you use 1 use of your fletchery set to make
>> arrows out of 1 stick of wood. Maybe there's a way of getting more
>> arrows per use of the fletchery set?
>
> Hah! Good point. I've been using fletchery sets on one stick of wood
> at a time. I guess that was rather wasteful! Now I have none left
> ... I hope I can buy them from somewhere later on.

Actually, Elethiomel wasn't referring to those puny little sticks at all.
Perhaps there are some bigger sticks out there... massive sticks that will
give massive numbers of arrows. Where can you find these massive sticks?
Think about what might be thought of as different than a stick but which is
nothing more than a really huge stick anyway. It's all wood, after all.

You may have found something else with that manual of bridge building that
may help you out here (as well as with building bridges, if that's your cup
of tea).

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
> Hey there, I've been a Nethack player for a few years but I just
> recently started playing Adom. The farthest I've gotten is clearing
> the dungeon with the guy who's gone mad and attacks you. I kind of
> spoiled myself heavily with Nethack and I'd like to try the opposite
> with ADOM. Hence the [NS] tag in the post subject; NO SPOILERS
> please!!

Wow, I really wish I could go back in time and do that - ADOM is a lot more
fun unspoiled. You will, of course, find it much more difficult - but much
more satisfying as well I imagine.

> I've been playing mainly strong races and melee classes. My most
> successful character so far has been a troll fighter. I have one
> question - how do you untrap traps? In Nethack it's #untrap, but I
> couldn't find an equivalent command in ADOM. I've lost a lot of good
> loot to exploding and falling doors because I didn't know how to check
> them for traps, let alone disable those traps. And I haven't found a
> key yet, and sometimes it's necessary to get through those doors to go
> further down, so I don't really have a choice but to take the risk and
> kick.

Aye, unfortunately can't be avoided sometimes. There are ways - the skills
mentioned by others are a start, and in addition to those is the Knock spell
mentioned in the manual. Certain wands may be able to help you out also.
But early in the game your options are limited, and often you just have to
cowardly hold your breath and hope for the best.

Cyde Weys wrote:

> I've been playing mainly strong races and melee classes. My most
> successful character so far has been a troll fighter. I have one
> question - how do you untrap traps? In Nethack it's #untrap, but I
> couldn't find an equivalent command in ADOM.

You will need to 'a'pply the Disarm Traps skill for that. And, the
Detect traps skill to even find the door traps. :) Some classes, like
thieves, start with these skills, the rest can get them from a certain
nasty rascal if they please him.

> I've lost a lot of good
> loot to exploding and falling doors because I didn't know how to check
> them for traps, let alone disable those traps.

If you have Detect traps, spending some turns 's'earching will find
traps. Floor traps can also be found with the Alertness skill if you
step on the square, door traps can't be found this way, though.

> And I haven't found a
> key yet, and sometimes it's necessary to get through those doors to go
> further down, so I don't really have a choice but to take the risk and
> kick.

If you have the possibility, don't stand directly in front of the door
when you kick them. Throwing heavy enough items on trapped doors might
also solve your problem.

Oh, and keys are also sold at a place near the beginning of the game.

-Tapsa

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Darren Grey wrote:
>

>>Well, good luck to you, and enjoy exploring the Drakalor Chain. I'd be
>>curious to hear how you get on, and your impressions of the many areas from
>>an unspoilt perspective.
>

> Ohhh, some things I've learned. I've been playing archers a lot
> lately.
> If you're fighting against a line of enemies, always aim at the enemy
> in the rear. If you aim at the enemy in the front and miss, the arrow
> just drops at his feet, but if you aim at the enemy in the rear,
> there's a good chance it may hit some of the enemies in the way too.
> Also, I like breaking down doors to get fodder to make arrows out of.

You may notice that you use 1 use of your fletchery set to make arrows
out of 1 stick of wood. Maybe there's a way of getting more arrows per
use of the fletchery set?

> I still haven't figured out these altars yet. I've been offering on
> them a lot and various gods are getting pissed at me, but no
> Nethack-style conversions. Ah well. I also haven't figured out a way
> to uncurse my things. Holy water, anyone?

Read the manual on the alignment system and the gods. The manual is not
the guidebook; anything in the manual is Not Spoily. Also consider other
occurences of the word "Alignment" in the manual, this might help you.

> Ohhh, and don't answer my rhetorical questions. I don't want to become
> spoiled!!

I've hinted. I hope that is okay.

"Josh Singh" <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in

> Cyde Weys (cyde@umd.edu) writes:
>> Elethiomel wrote:
>>
>>> You may notice that you use 1 use of your fletchery set to make
>>> arrows out of 1 stick of wood. Maybe there's a way of getting more
>>> arrows per use of the fletchery set?
>>
>> Hah! Good point. I've been using fletchery sets on one stick of
>> wood at a time. I guess that was rather wasteful! Now I have none
>> left ... I hope I can buy them from somewhere later on.
>
> Actually, Elethiomel wasn't referring to those puny little sticks at
> all. Perhaps there are some bigger sticks out there... massive sticks
> that will give massive numbers of arrows. Where can you find these
> massive sticks? Think about what might be thought of as different than
> a stick but which is nothing more than a really huge stick anyway.
> It's all wood, after all.

Alright, when I said no spoilers, I should have said no condescension too.
And I haven't found a way to cut down a tree, although then again, I
haven't tried the obvious tool yet either, an axe.

Another question. One of my Archers didn't even have the Healing skill.
It took him an obscenely long time to regain health. What do you do about
this? I haven't yet found any healing potions anywhere, and the only place
I even know of to get healed at is somewhat deep in a dungeon, and that guy
will only heal you seven times total.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Cyde Weys wrote:
> "Josh Singh" <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in
>

>>Cyde Weys (cyde@umd.edu) writes:

>>>Hah! Good point. I've been using fletchery sets on one stick of
>>>wood at a time. I guess that was rather wasteful! Now I have none
>>>left ... I hope I can buy them from somewhere later on.
>>
>>Actually, Elethiomel wasn't referring to those puny little sticks at
>>all. Perhaps there are some bigger sticks out there... massive sticks
>>that will give massive numbers of arrows. Where can you find these
>>massive sticks? Think about what might be thought of as different than
>>a stick but which is nothing more than a really huge stick anyway.
>>It's all wood, after all.
>

> Alright, when I said no spoilers, I should have said no condescension too.
> And I haven't found a way to cut down a tree, although then again, I
> haven't tried the obvious tool yet either, an axe.
>
> Another question. One of my Archers didn't even have the Healing skill.
> It took him an obscenely long time to regain health. What do you do about
> this? I haven't yet found any healing potions anywhere, and the only place
> I even know of to get healed at is somewhat deep in a dungeon, and that guy
> will only heal you seven times total.

Archers never get to start with the Healing skill. If you open up the
manual (in game, hit '?', then 'm'), and go to the "Races and Classes"
section, you can see which classes/races get which skills at the start.
Healing is a *very* valuable skill, especially for beginners, so it is
highly recommended that you play classes that start with the Healing
skill, until you figure out the ingame method of obtaining it. You may
already have learned how to get it, as a matter of fact, and just not
realized it yet...

Cyde Weys (cyde@umd.edu) writes:
> "Josh Singh" <jGoOsh.AsWiAnYgh@gmail.comikaze> wrote in
>
>> Cyde Weys (cyde@umd.edu) writes:

>>> Hah! Good point. I've been using fletchery sets on one stick of
>>> wood at a time. I guess that was rather wasteful! Now I have none
>>> left ... I hope I can buy them from somewhere later on.
>>
>> Actually, Elethiomel wasn't referring to those puny little sticks at
>> all. Perhaps there are some bigger sticks out there... massive sticks
>> that will give massive numbers of arrows. Where can you find these
>> massive sticks? Think about what might be thought of as different
>> than a stick but which is nothing more than a really huge stick
>> anyway. It's all wood, after all.
>
> Alright, when I said no spoilers, I should have said no condescension
> too. And I haven't found a way to cut down a tree, although then
> again, I haven't tried the obvious tool yet either, an axe.

I wasn't trying to be condescending (you itty-bitty little so-and-so). Your
post just gave me the impression that you were under the impression you
could apply fletchery to more than one stick at a time (which you can't).
Perhaps I was wrong. Then again, I'm never right, so it's a moot point.

And you will need something like an axe. As I suggested, the carpenter might
have something useful.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet
http://chat.carleton.ca/~jsingh3/
or http://www.currybucket.cjb.net/

"Cyde Weys" wrote...

> Darren Grey wrote:
>
>> I would recommend you try out a few different classes other than the
>> "strong" fighter-types. Each person has their own playstyle, and
>> experimenting around can help you find the right choice for you. As I'm
>> sure you know from Nethack brute force doesn't always work. Also,
>> tactics
>> (controlled with T or the F1-F7 keys) will save your life if you're not
>> using them already.
>
> The tactics almost seem ... unfair? Especially the +hit bonuses of the
> aggressive stances. And ESPECIALLY in the early game when things can't
> hit you much anyway but you may have some problems hitting them. Using
> a berserker stance means you can easily hit for a lot of damage while
> twoweaponing, killing the enemy before he has a chance to hit you.
> While if you were in a normal stance, you'd be missing a lot more and
> he'd actually get chances to hit you and rack up more damage. I
> haven't really used the defensive stances but I imagine when you're
> running away rather than attacking you'd want to use one of them.

Unfair? Well, I wouldn't say so - you have to use them tactically to make
them work well. It is possible to abuse them, and especially since you say
you've been playing fighter characters I suppose you don't suffer much from
the aggressive ones. Coward is the most abusable really - use it any time
you're not fighting (including walking around, spell-casting and to some
extent archery) to keep your character constantly on edge. Personally I
think there should be higher energy costs to both Berserk and Coward to make
them slightly more fair and realistic... And when I said you should
cowardly hope for the best when kicking down doors I was trying to subtly
hint that the tactics may help there too...

> I've seen this manual of bridge building once or twice and I'm very
> confused as to why a list of skills like Herbalism, Healing, First Aid,
> etc., would include such a specific engineering skill, but I suppose
> I'll find out later.

Heh, I suppose it's one of those talents with the least use - alongside
Ventriloquism. But it is a very important way of being able to get across
bodies of water that might otherwise drown your character, ruin your
equipment, or worse. Also helps train your character's literacy, I'm
guessing, as a tiny side-effect... But you will find that nothing is
useless in ADOM.

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey wrote:

> "Cyde Weys" wrote...
>
>> Darren Grey wrote:
>>

>> I've seen this manual of bridge building once or twice and I'm very
>> confused as to why a list of skills like Herbalism, Healing, First Aid,
>> etc., would include such a specific engineering skill, but I suppose
>> I'll find out later.
>
> Heh, I suppose it's one of those talents with the least use - alongside
> Ventriloquism. But it is a very important way of being able to get across
> bodies of water that might otherwise drown your character, ruin your
> equipment, or worse. Also helps train your character's literacy, I'm
> guessing, as a tiny side-effect... But you will find that nothing is
> useless in ADOM.

I agree that it's not a super buff talent to have, but I wouldn't discount
it completely. I don't mean to let the cat out of the bag, but confusing
monsters for even a turn or so can get the PC out of a tight situation.

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Alright, when I said no spoilers, I should have said no condescension too.
> And I haven't found a way to cut down a tree, although then again, I
> haven't tried the obvious tool yet either, an axe.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't meant to be condescension.

> Another question. One of my Archers didn't even have the Healing skill.
> It took him an obscenely long time to regain health. What do you do about
> this? I haven't yet found any healing potions anywhere, and the only place
> I even know of to get healed at is somewhat deep in a dungeon, and that guy
> will only heal you seven times total.

That guy asks you a very specific question when you meet him. Try
following up on all the options.

Love and coffee,
Frances