Sign in with
Your question

Why wont my windows 7 boot?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 4:49:20 PM

Hello,
i tried for 48 hours now, what is going on with this computer. Windows 7 will not load in safe mode, will not load the recovery cd i made, will not do anything, just boots to the welcome screen and sits for hours

More about : wont windows boot

a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 4:51:44 PM

If safe mode works, then that tends to suggest that there's a software issue. Something loading with the OS normally is tying things up. You can try some options like selective boot and last known good configuration. I'd also make sure to disconnect all USB devices that aren't your mouse and keyboard, but many times it ends up being easier and faster to just reload the OS.
m
l
January 3, 2013 4:54:17 PM

safe mode doesnt work, neither does booting to last known config.. neither does changing the bios to load the recovery cd i made.. nothing at all that i have tried works.. it does try to fix itself after sitting in the blue welcome screen for hours.. i think it ran that scan for 14 hours and still nothing
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2013 4:54:58 PM

it is a dell lap top
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 4:56:07 PM

cl-scott said:
If safe mode works, then that tends to suggest that there's a software issue. Something loading with the OS normally is tying things up. You can try some options like selective boot and last known good configuration. I'd also make sure to disconnect all USB devices that aren't your mouse and keyboard, but many times it ends up being easier and faster to just reload the OS.

cl-scott stated that they are not able to get into Safe Mode at all.
m
l
January 3, 2013 4:56:36 PM

Since safe mode is not working and everything is loading very slow, that suggest, to me, that you have hard drive failure.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 4:57:23 PM

CL-scott, have you tried all Safe Mode choices including Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

m
l
January 3, 2013 5:00:26 PM

yes i have tried every option there is, it does the same thing in the blue welcome screen...

just sits there

i tried to make it boot from d: where there is a backup/recovery disc that i made from this computer, same windows
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:05:31 PM

Hello,

I did some research, maybe getting the error code could help?

To get it:

i. Restart the computer
ii. Start tapping F8 key
iii. You will see advanced boot option window
iv. Select “Disable automatic restart at system crash”
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:09:32 PM

all of those options goto the same screen.. no codes that i know of, where would i find them if there were any.. im about to take the thing apart
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:22:16 PM

It sounds like you might have a HDD issue. It might need to be replaced.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:23:40 PM

since all of my attempts have failed, is there a way i can just reinstall windows and lose everything i have (last option) i bought this thing a year ago for my bisuness and have all my stuff there. hate to throw away quickbooks
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:27:02 PM

I would get a new HDD and not reuse the one that is having an issue. You can always try to pull your data off of the HDD before you format it and start over.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:30:07 PM

how much is that gonna be? roughly

i think this all happened when my computer tried to update itself on my hotspot and didnt finish, i was trying to softmod my wii and the next time i turned it on - nothing worked
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 5:33:41 PM

Adding to what larrym said, you can take out the hard disk drive and hook it up to another working computer as a secondary drive (ie. don't try and boot to it) to get the data off of it.

After that, you can see if you can find someone else's Windows 7 DVD of the same version as your's (32-bit or 64bit whichever you have, and then also Home Premium or Pro) and try and do a repair from that dvd.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 5:35:05 PM

do you have a windows disc?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 5:35:27 PM

after geting the data off of your drive (if successful), you would hook it back up to your computer and try and do a repair with a Windows 7 DVD as mentioned above.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:47:38 PM

ehhh.. thanks guys, im going into day 3 with this crap, i called in the guns. taking it to a computer guy and letting him do all of that.. i know he is going to freak out about the stuff he finds.. i finally got my wii modified but at this cost..

i thought there would be an easy fix, i dont think so any more.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 5:59:52 PM

As always, buy an external back drive and make regular backups. The more important, the more frequently you need to do it.
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:04:44 PM

OK.. so i got a toshiba external HD, got some of my stuff off of the bad hd, now i cant open any of the files on the toshiba.. says something about it might have changed or some crap.

all said and done, i just want my computer back even if i lose everything on it. the disc i found that came with it is a crappy "drivers and utilities" that will not do anything

i found another disc in my desc for another computer, it is a reinstallation dvd windows 7 professional sp1 32 bit, i tried to install it on my computer and half way through it said it couldnt finish it. it is not the original cd that came with the computer

how can i reinstall windows 7 from scratch and make this thing work again ?
m
l
!