Is the Logitech G510 worth it?

TheQuack45

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hi, I've been looking into buying a new keyboard since I game and figured I could use an upgrade from my $10 cheap keyboard that doesn't even have the feet you can use to prop it up. I've been looking at the Logitech G510 keyboard and found it for $80 which is really my max budget, and I like the looks of it. However, I really can't just waste $80 dollars on a keyboard that isn't that good, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I like the LCD screen though, and I think that would be helpful for component usage, and I could use a few of those macros (but not all 52!), so I'll be using it to a good amount of its' potential... but not nearly all. I can't stand ergonomic keyboards, and I like the normal keyboards, which this is, so no issues there.
But is it really worth it to shell out $80 dollars for the G510?
Thanks!

davidh304

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
I just purchased the Logitech G510 yesterday. Also I switched from an ergonomic split keyboard. This is all my opinion.

The keys were good but not especially crisp.

The backlighting color is cool but it's not especially bright at an angle. I find that on an angle its good but not really bright. If you look at the keys straight on, its a good solid bright color. I really like the ability to change the backlit keys to any color. Very, very cool! The lcd screen changes to the same color as the keys, again very cool!

The wrist wrest is plastic (not a big deal, I found it very comfortable) and it easy to attatch / unattatch.

The G keys did not impede typing at all but the keys took some getting used to. Im sure in a few days it would be completely natural.

The LCD display was a neat and Im sure has potential but it wouldnt make or break buying the keyboard for me.

The legs on the keyboard were very solid. They flip up and down easily but were solid when down. I found no problems with the keyboard moving.

I REALLY love the keyboard volume control. It's quick, easy and awesome!

I liked the keybaord but Im going to return it simply because Im going to stick with an ergonomic.

i've used the original ibm model m series of keyboard for years. its loud, heavy and fantastic. however do keep in mind that it only supports 2kro which is why i'm going to be upgrading to another keyboard.

i think the new unicomps have molded keys not the removable keycaps from the ibms. however, i have two sets of key bases and keycaps from the ibms which should snap right into place. what is nice about doing this is that you can put the key caps into the dishwasher! if you throw the base in... it can be done but it doesnt always dry right (or fast).

if you do decide on the unicomp and are interested pm me if you want the keys (or spare parts)

so if 2kro is fine with you...go for it. its a well built keyboard. the only reason my died is that someone managed to spill a whole glass of alcohol into it. yeah, thats good for electronics! my original was from 1985 and my new one was from 1994. yeah, they last practically forever if you take care of them.

if you want nkro (ps2) or 5+kro (usb) then you might want to look elsewhere. specifically deck and das. i'm debating on a das but cant justify shelling out $200 at this moment. eventually yes but i have other priorities.