Did Latitude CPx's have a keyboard "problem" ???

Over the past couple of months, I've bought several surplus Latitude CPxs,
vintage circa '00-'01 with PIII-500 processors - and they all have keyboard
problems, either keys that don't register at all or do multiple characters
with a single tap.

Was the keyboard a particuler "weakness" on the Latitudes ? Or have I just
had incredibly coincidental bad luck ?

Aside from the keyboards, they seem decent enough machines.

- FM -

i don't think that these models have a particularly problematic keyboard.
there were older models that did have issues but not these. laptop
keyboards are thin and light and under normal to heavy use simply wear out
over time. you are talking about 4 year old keyboards. replacements are
cheap, just be sure to get the appropriate one (with or without the pointing
stick). easy to install too. makes the whole computer look and feel close
to brand new again. support.dell.com has installation instructions for your
particular model. look at the service manuals.

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Over the past couple of months, I've bought several surplus Latitude CPxs,
> vintage circa '00-'01 with PIII-500 processors - and they all have
keyboard
> problems, either keys that don't register at all or do multiple characters
> with a single tap.
>
> Was the keyboard a particuler "weakness" on the Latitudes ? Or have I just
> had incredibly coincidental bad luck ?
>
> Aside from the keyboards, they seem decent enough machines.
>
> - FM -

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Over the past couple of months, I've bought several surplus Latitude CPxs,
> vintage circa '00-'01 with PIII-500 processors - and they all have
keyboard
> problems, either keys that don't register at all or do multiple characters
> with a single tap.
>
> Was the keyboard a particuler "weakness" on the Latitudes ? Or have I just
> had incredibly coincidental bad luck ?
>
> Aside from the keyboards, they seem decent enough machines.
>
> - FM -

The CPx typical keyboard problem is that the "8ik," keys get erratic or
won't work at all. Dell replace my m'board a couple times under the 3 year
warranty (CPxJ 750), and finally the keyboard. Now out of warranty, it
started again. I followed the installations below (bottom) removing,
cleaning and reseating the connector and all has been serene for about 6
months. Machine is used daily.

See the Dell forum at
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_input&message.id=14096

and for the "8ik," issue specifically:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_input&message.id=5671

Good luck!

"M" <notlikely@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Over the past couple of months, I've bought several surplus Latitude
>> CPxs,
>> vintage circa '00-'01 with PIII-500 processors - and they all have
> keyboard
>> problems, either keys that don't register at all or do multiple
>> characters
>> with a single tap.
>>
>> Was the keyboard a particuler "weakness" on the Latitudes ? Or have I
>> just
>> had incredibly coincidental bad luck ?
>>
>> Aside from the keyboards, they seem decent enough machines.
>>
>> - FM -
>>

> The CPx typical keyboard problem is that the "8ik," keys get erratic or
> won't work at all. Dell replace my m'board a couple times under the 3
> year
> warranty (CPxJ 750), and finally the keyboard. Now out of warranty, it
> started again. I followed the installations below (bottom) removing,
> cleaning and reseating the connector and all has been serene for about 6
> months. Machine is used daily.
>
> See the Dell forum at
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_input&message.id=14096
>
> and for the "8ik," issue specifically:
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_input&message.id=5671
>
> Good luck!

Granted, I only have one of the machines (CPxJ 650GT), and it's worked
flawlessly to this day. It was a refurb I bought second hand at auction....

Stew