Strange girdle?

With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
"strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
carrying capacity and strained.
i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
keeping around or should I just junk it?

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
> carrying capacity and strained.
> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
> keeping around or should I just junk it?
>
> Thanks,

Try identifying it next time you read a blessed scroll of identify over
your stuff. Then junk it. I suggest identifying, because IMO knowing
more is always better than knowing less.

Al Puzzuoli wrote:

> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an
> uncursed "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of
> carrying but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the
> girdle of carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is
> immediately above his carrying capacity and strained.
>
> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this
> worth keeping around or should I just junk it?

Almost certainly, junk it; it's of no value except for the little you
can get by selling it. Look below for more specifics, as best I remember
them.

Most of the time, a strange metal girdle is a girdle of weight. Those
have no beneficial effect; they simply weigh an unusually large amount
(for a girdle). I never heard of them having more effect than that, in
ADoM, but there's always the chance that people just never noticed it
before.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Spoilers below.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:57:15 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> Most of the time, a strange metal girdle is a girdle of weight. Those have
> no beneficial effect; they simply weigh an unusually large amount (for a
> girdle). I never heard of them having more effect than that, in ADoM, but
> there's always the chance that people just never noticed it before.

IIRC, they weigh 40s, but increase the weight you're carrying by an
additional amount when equipped.

Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote:
> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
> carrying capacity and strained.
> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
> keeping around or should I just junk it?

I'd keep it. The reason is spoily... Stop reading now.

..

..

..

..

..

..

The behaviour strongly suggest that it is uncursed girdle of greed.
Your character has too few gold pieces for the girdle to work properly.

brojek.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:17:48 +0000, Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:

> Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote:
>> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
>> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
>> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
>> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
>> carrying capacity and strained.
>> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
>> keeping around or should I just junk it?
>
> I'd keep it. The reason is spoily... Stop reading now.
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> The behaviour strongly suggest that it is uncursed girdle of greed. Your
> character has too few gold pieces for the girdle to work properly.

I just tested this with an uncursed girdle of greed and a single gold
piece. The girdle had no effect, NOT a negative effect. (This was tested
with 1.1.1)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:17:48 +0000, Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:

> Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote:
>> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
>> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
>> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
>> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
>> carrying capacity and strained.
>> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
>> keeping around or should I just junk it?
>
> I'd keep it. The reason is spoily... Stop reading now.
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> .
>

> The behaviour strongly suggest that it is uncursed girdle of greed. Your
> character has too few gold pieces for the girdle to work properly.

This could make an entertaining ADOM guessing game...
I have a ring, when I put it on, it decreases the damage I deal. What sort
of ring is it? (There are several correct answers)

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
> carrying capacity and strained.
> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
> keeping around or should I just junk it?
>
> Thanks,

Please give us detailed information. How much does it weigh? What are
your normal carrying capacities, how much are you carrying, and what is
the same info when you wear the girdle?

A girdle of weight, otherwise known as a strange metal girdle, is "just
heavy," according to the GB. It weighs 40 stones.

Q: there are no details on the amulet of greed other than "it detects
gold," which is either a lie or not very well explained. I expected to
have a "magic map" type of effect, such as detect monster/item. Yes,
it's off topic, but since we're getting into items not being what they
seem...

frobnoid <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:17:48 +0000, Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:

> > Al Puzzuoli <alpuzz@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an uncursed
> >> "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle of carrying
> >> but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the girdle of
> >> carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is immediately above his
> >> carrying capacity and strained.
> >> i guess what i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth
> >> keeping around or should I just junk it?
> >
> > I'd keep it. The reason is spoily... Stop reading now.
> >

> > .
> >

> > .
> >

> > .
> >

> > .
> >

> > .
> >

> > .
> >

> > The behaviour strongly suggest that it is uncursed girdle of greed. Your
> > character has too few gold pieces for the girdle to work properly.

> I just tested this with an uncursed girdle of greed and a single gold
> piece. The girdle had no effect, NOT a negative effect. (This was tested
> with 1.1.1)

Damn, indeed there is no effect... I'm confused now. What uncursed
girdle would decrease carrying capacity? Is there any?

brojek.

I failed miserably to keep a straight face when I read that
Przemyslaw Brojewski <brojek@kis.p.lodz.pl> wrote:
> frobnoid <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote:

>> > I'd keep it. The reason is spoily... Stop reading now.
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > .
>> >

>> > The behaviour strongly suggest that it is uncursed girdle of greed. Your
>> > character has too few gold pieces for the girdle to work properly.
>
>> I just tested this with an uncursed girdle of greed and a single gold
>> piece. The girdle had no effect, NOT a negative effect. (This was tested
>> with 1.1.1)
>
> Damn, indeed there is no effect... I'm confused now. What uncursed
> girdle would decrease carrying capacity? Is there any?

It's a girdle of weight. And it doesn't decrease the carrying capacity;
it just weighs more when equipped (just look at the total item weight on
top of the inventory screen).

Leon (aka Oliphaunt)

--
I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did
the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much, of

eliah.phos@gmail.com wrote:

> Al Puzzuoli wrote:
>
>> With one of my characters, I just found what is described as an
>> uncursed "strange metal girdle". I thought it might be a girdle
>> of carrying but it actually seems to behave exactly opposite to the
>> girdle of carrying. Whenever my character wears it, he is
>> immediately above his carrying capacity and strained. i guess what
>> i'm asking, with as few spoilers as possible, is this worth keeping
>> around or should I just junk it?
>
> Please give us detailed information. How much does it weigh? What are
> your normal carrying capacities, how much are you carrying, and what
> is the same info when you wear the girdle?

This particular point has already been addressed, elsewhere in the
thread. However:

> A girdle of weight, otherwise known as a strange metal girdle, is
> "just heavy," according to the GB. It weighs 40 stones.

(Note that the above is spoily.)

From what has been said elsewhere in this thread, it is not simply that
a girdle of weight is heavy; it also is alleged either that it weigh
more when it is equipped or that, when equipped, it makes *everything*
you're carrying weigh more. This should be checked up on, and the
results added to the Guidebook. Andy?

> Q: there are no details on the amulet of greed other than "it detects
> gold," which is either a lie or not very well explained. I expected
> to have a "magic map" type of effect, such as detect monster/item.
> Yes, it's off topic, but since we're getting into items not being
> what they seem...

This is such common knowledge that apparently no one thought it needed
to be added, but in hindsight not everyone has the knowledge yet. ^_^ An
amulet of greed "detects gold" in the sense that if you are wearing one,
and there is gold lying on the ground on the level on which you are
currently located, it will occasionally generate a message to the effect
of "You sense the presence of gold". That's all that it does; the effect
can sometimes be useful, but most of the time is not particularly so
IME.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

The Wanderer wrote:

>> A girdle of weight, otherwise known as a strange metal girdle, is
>> "just heavy," according to the GB. It weighs 40 stones.
>

> This is such common knowledge that apparently no one thought it needed
> to be added, but in hindsight not everyone has the knowledge yet. ^_^ An
> amulet of greed "detects gold" in the sense that if you are wearing one,
> and there is gold lying on the ground on the level on which you are
> currently located, it will occasionally generate a message to the effect
> of "You sense the presence of gold". That's all that it does; the effect
> can sometimes be useful, but most of the time is not particularly so
> IME.

Also, if you're on a Royal Vault level, I do believe you get some other
message than the normal "you hear the steps of the royal guard"... I
don't recall what the exact message is though.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:35:53 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:

> Also, if you're on a Royal Vault level, I do believe you get some other
> message than the normal "you hear the steps of the royal guard"... I don't
> recall what the exact message is though.

You suddenly feel the urge to get very rich really soon!

"frobnoid" <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:35:53 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:
>
>> The Wanderer wrote:

>>> d
>>> d
>>> i
>>> n

>>> h

>>> m
>>> i
>>> t
>>> t
>>> e

>>> m
>>> p
>>> t
>>> i
>>> n
>>> e
>>> s
>> Also, if you're on a Royal Vault level, I do believe you get some other
>> message than the normal "you hear the steps of the royal guard"... I
>> don't
>> recall what the exact message is though.
>
> You suddenly feel the urge to get very rich really soon!

I believe it is "You lust for gold!" or something very similar.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:20:08 -0500, frobnoid <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:35:53 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:
>
>> The Wanderer wrote:

>>> d
>>> d
>>> i
>>> n

>>> h

>>> m
>>> i
>>> t
>>> t
>>> e

>>> m
>>> p
>>> t
>>> i
>>> n
>>> e
>>> s
>> Also, if you're on a Royal Vault level, I do believe you get some other
>> message than the normal "you hear the steps of the royal guard"... I
>> don't
>> recall what the exact message is though.
>
> You suddenly feel the urge to get very rich really soon!

and if I recall correctly when youy teleport while wearing a amulet of
greed you allways end
up in the vault. If you posses teleport controll you have to try and
teleport inside a wall or on top of a monster first.

--
Signatures are for them amateurs.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:28:03 +0000, Neil Elcome wrote:

> "frobnoid" <frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:35:53 -0400, Nick Strnad wrote:
>>
>>> The Wanderer wrote:

>>> Also, if you're on a Royal Vault level, I do believe you get some other
>>> message than the normal "you hear the steps of the royal guard"... I
>>> don't
>>> recall what the exact message is though.
>>
>> You suddenly feel the urge to get very rich really soon!
>>

> I believe it is "You lust for gold!" or something very similar.

Then there are multiple possible messages.