Sign in with
Your question

Can't save files to my computer help!

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 9:17:05 PM

Hello, so I recently built a new PC and got windows 7 64 bit up and running. However, I can't seem to install programs to my SSD. When I try to install a program, I get this message "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission," but I'm the only who uses this PC and I checked to make sure I was the admin and I am. I looked on the internet for help, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

I also have two drives if that means anything. I tried to install the programs to my C drive, which is my SSD. Installing programs to my D drive seems to work fine, which is my HDD. My SSD has the OS on it. Any solutions? :( 

More about : save files computer

January 3, 2013 10:05:50 PM

If you right click on the executable file, there should be an option saying "Run as administrator". Does that help?
Funny that it doesn't do that by default. I will think on this.
m
l
January 3, 2013 10:16:11 PM

No that doesn't help :\ I can't install the program at all in the SSD. Not sure whats wrong.
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 11:33:53 PM

can you copy files to the SSD? which directory it is trying to install to?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 11:43:11 PM

If the SSD was in another system, you may need to take ownership of it.

Right click it(in explorer), then select Properties
Select the Security tab and select Advanced -> Owner.

If you are now owner select EDIT and make your self it.
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:30:55 AM

No one else used the SSD. I made sure that I'm the admin and I still can't download programs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 12:33:41 AM

What is the make/model of the SSD so that we can take a look on the specs of the drive?

I've heard of some SSDs having write protection switches, which would be stupid, like SD cards and other removable media.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:09:45 AM

I looked at some of the info about the drive and doesn't seem to have one. I think there were also some issues reported with SSDs having a "Protected" mode option that is controlled by the BIOS of your computer. Might be something to look into as well.
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:16:44 AM

hedwar2011 said:
I looked at some of the info about the drive and doesn't seem to have one. I think there were also some issues reported with SSDs having a "Protected" mode option that is controlled by the BIOS of your computer. Might be something to look into as well.

I'll look into that. Man...wish I could find a simple solution.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:19:03 AM

cookiess said:
Hello, so I recently built a new PC and got windows 7 64 bit up and running. However, I can't seem to install programs to my SSD. When I try to install a program, I get this message "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission," but I'm the only who uses this PC and I checked to make sure I was the admin and I am. I looked on the internet for help, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

I also have two drives if that means anything. I tried to install the programs to my C drive, which is my SSD. Installing programs to my D drive seems to work fine, which is my HDD. My SSD has the OS on it. Any solutions? :( 

Change the NAME of the file BEFORE you save it.
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:29:33 AM

soundguruman said:
Change the NAME of the file BEFORE you save it.

That doesn't seem to help. I still get a "a required privilege is not held by the client" message
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:49:57 AM

it seems that if I disable the UAC settings the message goes away and I can freely download what I need to, but disabling UAC is a bad thing, correct?
m
l
!