Can't save files to my computer help!

Hello, so I recently built a new PC and got windows 7 64 bit up and running. However, I can't seem to install programs to my SSD. When I try to install a program, I get this message "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission," but I'm the only who uses this PC and I checked to make sure I was the admin and I am. I looked on the internet for help, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

I also have two drives if that means anything. I tried to install the programs to my C drive, which is my SSD. Installing programs to my D drive seems to work fine, which is my HDD. My SSD has the OS on it. Any solutions? :(
14 answers Last reply
More about save files computer help
  1. If you right click on the executable file, there should be an option saying "Run as administrator". Does that help?
    Funny that it doesn't do that by default. I will think on this.
  2. No that doesn't help :\ I can't install the program at all in the SSD. Not sure whats wrong.
  3. can you copy files to the SSD? which directory it is trying to install to?
  4. If the SSD was in another system, you may need to take ownership of it.

Right click it(in explorer), then select Properties
    Select the Security tab and select Advanced -> Owner.

If you are now owner select EDIT and make your self it.
  5. No one else used the SSD. I made sure that I'm the admin and I still can't download programs.
  6. What is the make/model of the SSD so that we can take a look on the specs of the drive?

I've heard of some SSDs having write protection switches, which would be stupid, like SD cards and other removable media.
  7. This is my SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211588
    gah...I was messing around with it and now I get a message that says "a required prevelidge is not held by the client"
  8. I looked at some of the info about the drive and doesn't seem to have one. I think there were also some issues reported with SSDs having a "Protected" mode option that is controlled by the BIOS of your computer. Might be something to look into as well.
  9. hedwar2011 said:
    I looked at some of the info about the drive and doesn't seem to have one. I think there were also some issues reported with SSDs having a "Protected" mode option that is controlled by the BIOS of your computer. Might be something to look into as well.

I'll look into that. Man...wish I could find a simple solution.
  10. cookiess said:
    Hello, so I recently built a new PC and got windows 7 64 bit up and running. However, I can't seem to install programs to my SSD. When I try to install a program, I get this message "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission," but I'm the only who uses this PC and I checked to make sure I was the admin and I am. I looked on the internet for help, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

I also have two drives if that means anything. I tried to install the programs to my C drive, which is my SSD. Installing programs to my D drive seems to work fine, which is my HDD. My SSD has the OS on it. Any solutions? :(

Change the NAME of the file BEFORE you save it.
  11. soundguruman said:
    Change the NAME of the file BEFORE you save it.

That doesn't seem to help. I still get a "a required privilege is not held by the client" message
  12. it seems that if I disable the UAC settings the message goes away and I can freely download what I need to, but disabling UAC is a bad thing, correct?
  13. I know I'm late to the party, but I had a similar situation. I had just installed 7 on a new Hard Drive while using my old drives from when I was using XP. I am a musician, so I have some music files that I was trying to overwrite, but it wouldn't let me. Then I found a way around it:
    Go to Start > Computer > Click on the hard drive you want to overwrite files for > Click Properties > Security > Permissions for (Hard Drive), set to Everyone and click the "Allow" checkbox for "Full Control". Hope that helps!

(Note: The only problem is that it has to go to each file on the hard drive and rewrite the permissions.)
  14. cookiess said:
    No that doesn't help :\ I can't install the program at all in the SSD. Not sure whats wrong.

Your SSD might be in write protected mode. This articel may be helpfull to you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a8e90ac9-fda4-4107-aee1-512abfc8b071/uninitialized-ssd-is-write-protected-solved?forum=winservergen
Ask a new question

Read More

Security SSD Computers Windows 7 Product