Faked Thunderbird

G

I was supposed to be purchasing an Athelon 750 Thunderbird from CM Computers in California. Then they send me a Slot A processor and MB. A good friend is telling me they don't make Tbirds in that form. Have I been had? The processor number is A0750MPR24B A 230028659922. Any help would be much aprriciated. :eek:)

G

The T-bird was initially released as a slot A CPU, before AMD moved to the socket platform. The CPU you received is simply an older model T-bird. The processor number proves it; classic athlons have a K instead of the 0 if I remember correctly. I don't know if there are performance differences between the two versions.

If it ain't broke, make it go faster!

G

Thanks. That makes me feel better. Can someone confirm this? Does anyone know of a performance difference? Also how much older? I just want to know more about my PC :O)

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, some of the older t-bids were the slot form, which is just as good as the equivelent socket form, but now discontinued, so no more new mobo's.

the older slot athlon cpu's (non t-bird) didn't have on-die cache and thus ran at 1/3 or 1/2 processor speed which is not as good (obviously) as on-die cache running at full speed.

anyway, i think this is all correct, but if i'm wrong, somebody correct me.

hope this helps.