Sign in with
Your question

Help!

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 10:30:07 PM

Hello everyone, Back in August I built my new system and haven't had any problems with it until... now. When I first started out I had Windows Vista, and a couple of weeks ago I got Windows 7 Upgrade, 64-Bit. Well, I also recently got some new headphones, So I took apart my computer to plug in the missing usb ports. Well upon doing so I guess I messed something up. Because now Windows 7 is freezing at startup. Okay, basically here is what happens. I boot up my computer, I am greeted with the Windows Error Recovery, also it says, recent hardware or software changes may be the cause to your problem. I forgot to add I went back into my computer and removed said usb ports that I added. It gives me 2 options, Startup Repair (tried millions of times, freezes.) and launch Windows normally. Well whenever I launch windows normally, the animation freezes about 4 seconds in, and im forced to hard reset. Also what I have tried, is booting into safe mode, which also does not work, it gets to classpnp.sys and freezes. I've exhausted about every possible thing I can think of, I removed my video card once and tried, still froze. Keep in mind I have tried to boot the windows 7 disc so I can use repair, but that freezes also. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, and happy new year!

More about : question

January 3, 2013 11:10:14 PM

Oh, and by the way. Here's a list of my specs if its relevant!

Processor: i5-2500K
Video Card: Gtx 570 superclocked evga
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black
Mobo: AsRock z77 extreme4
Psu: Ocz 750W
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:06:57 AM

what type of usb ports are you adding? a front-mounted set? a PCI card with usb ports?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:15:26 AM

kronickilla5 said:
Hello everyone, Back in August I built my new system and haven't had any problems with it until... now. When I first started out I had Windows Vista, and a couple of weeks ago I got Windows 7 Upgrade, 64-Bit. Well, I also recently got some new headphones, So I took apart my computer to plug in the missing usb ports. Well upon doing so I guess I messed something up. Because now Windows 7 is freezing at startup. Okay, basically here is what happens. I boot up my computer, I am greeted with the Windows Error Recovery, also it says, recent hardware or software changes may be the cause to your problem. I forgot to add I went back into my computer and removed said usb ports that I added. It gives me 2 options, Startup Repair (tried millions of times, freezes.) and launch Windows normally. Well whenever I launch windows normally, the animation freezes about 4 seconds in, and im forced to hard reset. Also what I have tried, is booting into safe mode, which also does not work, it gets to classpnp.sys and freezes. I've exhausted about every possible thing I can think of, I removed my video card once and tried, still froze. Keep in mind I have tried to boot the windows 7 disc so I can use repair, but that freezes also. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, and happy new year!

If you modified the motherboard configuration by adding or taking away from what Windows is used to seeing (which it sounds like you did), you've officially trashed your MBR (Master Boot Record) and HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer - Windows uses it).

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. There are different options available there to create a MBR fixer and you can try that and see if it helps.

Every time you plug in and unplug something from your motherboard and then reboot, it is sending your OS into a tailspin trying to compensate.

Let me know if that helps!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2013 1:22:35 AM

i would also power down your system and open the case and look around for any lose wires or ram or cards. also try and clear your mb cmos and reset it back to default. you may have hung the mb if you connected something wrong..the bad thing is you could have shorted/damaged the mb. most usb cables are keyed. only go on one way.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:00:16 AM

bdubs85 said:
what type of usb ports are you adding? a front-mounted set? a PCI card with usb ports?

I have a Cooler Master HAF 932, I'm adding front usbs.
Smorizio, I already did all of that, but thanks. :) 
Hedwar2011, Thank you so much for your input, I'm about 11% done downloading hirens boot cd. I'm gonna put it on my USB and boot it up from there, do you think that should work?
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:18:22 AM

if diagnostics end up working, why not just reformat clean instead of trying to repair?
m
l
!