Playing MP4-encoding songs while playing ADOM

More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I recently
acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) ) Skyclad album
A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When I try to play
MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it keeps starting and
stopping.

I have a 1.53 GhZ Athlon... Getting obsolescent, of course, but this
is almost to the point where it can't walk and chew gum at the same
time. How much computing horsepower does ADOM use? A 386 will run it,
right? Any reccomendations?

As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?

--T.J.

frobnoid wrote:

> Are you running ADOM for linux, windows or DOS?
> If you're running the DOS version (on windows), try running the windows
> version and see if it improves things.

DOS version. I'll give Windows a try... I agree that my 1.53 GhZ is
fine for most applications, but GTA: San Andreas is running choppy
(only 64 megs on the video card, too) and Doom 3 runs slow as well
(technically it shouldn't run at all).

I'd start into a rant about lazy programmers not crunching their code
for the past fifteen years, but I might get lynched in these here
parts... :p

--T.J.

Hello,

>> Are you running ADOM for linux, windows or DOS?
>> If you're running the DOS version (on windows), try running the windows
>> version and see if it improves things.
>
> DOS version. I'll give Windows a try... I agree that my 1.53 GhZ is
> fine for most applications, but GTA: San Andreas is running choppy
> (only 64 megs on the video card, too) and Doom 3 runs slow as well
> (technically it shouldn't run at all).

A better idea is to run Adom Sage, that will use much less system resources
than the DOS-version under Windows. Plus, it will give you a whole lot of
other benefits. The Windows port is IMHO useless since it can't be run in
fullscreen.

/ J

T.J. Swoboda (tjswoboda@cox.net) writes:
> More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I
> recently acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) )
> Skyclad album A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When
> I try to play MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it
> keeps starting and stopping.
>
> I have a 1.53 GhZ Athlon... Getting obsolescent, of course, but this
> is almost to the point where it can't walk and chew gum at the same
> time. How much computing horsepower does ADOM use? A 386 will run
> it, right? Any reccomendations?

DOS apps basically hog your CPU when they're running. I experience the same
sort of choppy music sometimes when I play in WMP. iTunes only gives me
problems when I'm Alt-Tabbing all over the place.

> As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?

Joe Satriani, of course. Or whatever's on, I don't really care.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

T.J. Swoboda wrote:

> As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?
>
> --T.J.

Sorry that I can't help with your sound issues, but I can answer this
inquiry. I usually just toss on my normal "all music" playlist, which
includes everything from 90's punk (Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys) to
Beethoven (yes, the free BBC downloads) to classic rock (Aerosmith, The
Who) to way out-there stuff (The Mars Volta).

If I get a new CD, I like to play ADOM while listening to the CD
straight through. My logic on doing this is that it's more fun to play
ADOM while listening to a new CD than just listening to a new CD by
itself, and it's more fun to play ADOM while listening to a new CD than
just playing ADOM by itself, so it works out nicely.

Nick Strnad wrote:
> T.J. Swoboda wrote:
>
>> As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?
>>
>> --T.J.
>>

> Sorry that I can't help with your sound issues, but I can answer this
> inquiry. I usually just toss on my normal "all music" playlist, which
> includes everything from 90's punk (Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys) to
> Beethoven (yes, the free BBC downloads) to classic rock (Aerosmith, The
> Who) to way out-there stuff (The Mars Volta).

I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
composers.

"Elethiomel" <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote in

> I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
> downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
> Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
> composers.

According to Slashdot (the source of all relevant information!), they've
been taken down again.

/ J

Jesper wrote:
> "Elethiomel" <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote in
>

>>I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
>>downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
>>Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
>>composers.
>

> According to Slashdot (the source of all relevant information!), they've
> been taken down again.
>
> / J

Yeah, the BBC released his Symphonies 1-4 for a week or two, then
Symphonies 5-9 after that for a week or two. I was only able to get
5-9; I missed out on 1-4 unfortunately.

Apparently the BBC caught a lot of heat from classical music producing
giants who claimed the BBC cutting into their profits by releasing them
for free (that's not the reason they took them off the webpage; it was
supposed to be a limited release anyway). That's a whole different
issue though; the main part is that you can no longer download the songs
from the BBC.

On 28 Aug 2005 20:23:15 -0700, "T.J. Swoboda" <tjswoboda@cox.net> wrote:

>More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I recently
>acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) ) Skyclad album
>A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When I try to play
>MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it keeps starting and
>stopping.

All DOS applications take up 100% CPU - there is no way around this.

The best thing you can do is to lower the priority of NTVDM either through
the task manager, or by launching it through the start command. (The
"/LOW" switch for start does this - see "/?" for more command line
options.)

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> All DOS applications take up 100% CPU - there is no way around this.

Try this...

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC34

"DOS does not correctly use the CPU HLT instruction. The result is that it
takes host CPU cycles even when idle. You can install the utility from
http://www.vmware.com/software/dosidle210.zip to solve this problem."

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC28

"Windows 9x does not correctly use the CPU HLT instruction. The result is that
it takes host CPU cycles even when idle. You can install the utility from
http://www.user.cityline.ru/~maxamn/amnhltm.zip to solve this problem. Note
that no such tool is needed for NT, 2000 or XP."

I don't know if it works with DOS apps on WinXP (I have not tested the those
utils), but it might help...

Kosma

I've had good results to reduce the cpu hogging when running the DOS
version on windows by turning the "idle sensitivity" setting all the
way to "high" in the properties for my ADOM shortcut. It almost becomes
cpu friendly this way.