Playing MP4-encoding songs while playing ADOM

More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I recently
acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) ) Skyclad album
A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When I try to play
MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it keeps starting and
stopping.

I have a 1.53 GhZ Athlon... Getting obsolescent, of course, but this
is almost to the point where it can't walk and chew gum at the same
time. How much computing horsepower does ADOM use? A 386 will run it,
right? Any reccomendations?

As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?

--T.J.
10 answers Last reply
More about playing encoding songs playing adom
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    frobnoid wrote:

    > Are you running ADOM for linux, windows or DOS?
    > If you're running the DOS version (on windows), try running the windows
    > version and see if it improves things.

    DOS version. I'll give Windows a try... I agree that my 1.53 GhZ is
    fine for most applications, but GTA: San Andreas is running choppy
    (only 64 megs on the video card, too) and Doom 3 runs slow as well
    (technically it shouldn't run at all).

    I'd start into a rant about lazy programmers not crunching their code
    for the past fifteen years, but I might get lynched in these here
    parts... :P

    --T.J.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Hello,

    >> Are you running ADOM for linux, windows or DOS?
    >> If you're running the DOS version (on windows), try running the windows
    >> version and see if it improves things.
    >
    > DOS version. I'll give Windows a try... I agree that my 1.53 GhZ is
    > fine for most applications, but GTA: San Andreas is running choppy
    > (only 64 megs on the video card, too) and Doom 3 runs slow as well
    > (technically it shouldn't run at all).

    A better idea is to run Adom Sage, that will use much less system resources
    than the DOS-version under Windows. Plus, it will give you a whole lot of
    other benefits. The Windows port is IMHO useless since it can't be run in
    fullscreen.

    / J
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    T.J. Swoboda (tjswoboda@cox.net) writes:
    > More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I
    > recently acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) )
    > Skyclad album A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When
    > I try to play MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it
    > keeps starting and stopping.
    >
    > I have a 1.53 GhZ Athlon... Getting obsolescent, of course, but this
    > is almost to the point where it can't walk and chew gum at the same
    > time. How much computing horsepower does ADOM use? A 386 will run
    > it, right? Any reccomendations?

    DOS apps basically hog your CPU when they're running. I experience the same
    sort of choppy music sometimes when I play in WMP. iTunes only gives me
    problems when I'm Alt-Tabbing all over the place.

    > As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?

    Joe Satriani, of course. Or whatever's on, I don't really care.

    --
    Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
    The Pandora's Box of the Internet

    T.J. Swoboda wrote:

    > As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?
    >
    > --T.J.

    Sorry that I can't help with your sound issues, but I can answer this
    inquiry. I usually just toss on my normal "all music" playlist, which
    includes everything from 90's punk (Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys) to
    Beethoven (yes, the free BBC downloads) to classic rock (Aerosmith, The
    Who) to way out-there stuff (The Mars Volta).

    If I get a new CD, I like to play ADOM while listening to the CD
    straight through. My logic on doing this is that it's more fun to play
    ADOM while listening to a new CD than just listening to a new CD by
    itself, and it's more fun to play ADOM while listening to a new CD than
    just playing ADOM by itself, so it works out nicely.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Nick Strnad wrote:
    > T.J. Swoboda wrote:
    >
    >> As an aside, what music do you listen to while playing ADOM?
    >>
    >> --T.J.
    >>

    > Sorry that I can't help with your sound issues, but I can answer this
    > inquiry. I usually just toss on my normal "all music" playlist, which
    > includes everything from 90's punk (Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys) to
    > Beethoven (yes, the free BBC downloads) to classic rock (Aerosmith, The
    > Who) to way out-there stuff (The Mars Volta).

    I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
    downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
    Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
    composers.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    "Elethiomel" <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote in

    > I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
    > downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
    > Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
    > composers.

    According to Slashdot (the source of all relevant information!), they've
    been taken down again.

    / J
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Jesper wrote:
    > "Elethiomel" <kkkk@lllllll.mmmm> wrote in
    >

    >>I've hunted around the BBC website, but am unable to find these free
    >>downloads. They intrigue me, though, as I would like to have more of
    >>Bethooven's music available for listening - as well as other classical
    >>composers.
    >

    > According to Slashdot (the source of all relevant information!), they've
    > been taken down again.
    >
    > / J

    Yeah, the BBC released his Symphonies 1-4 for a week or two, then
    Symphonies 5-9 after that for a week or two. I was only able to get
    5-9; I missed out on 1-4 unfortunately.

    Apparently the BBC caught a lot of heat from classical music producing
    giants who claimed the BBC cutting into their profits by releasing them
    for free (that's not the reason they took them off the webpage; it was
    supposed to be a limited release anyway). That's a whole different
    issue though; the main part is that you can no longer download the songs
    from the BBC.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    On 28 Aug 2005 20:23:15 -0700, "T.J. Swoboda" <tjswoboda@cox.net> wrote:

    >More than 99% of my ripped music is in MP3 format. However, I recently
    >acquired the out of print (abandonware, if you will :) ) Skyclad album
    >A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol in MP4 format. When I try to play
    >MP4s in Qplayer and play ADOM at the same time, it keeps starting and
    >stopping.

    All DOS applications take up 100% CPU - there is no way around this.

    The best thing you can do is to lower the priority of NTVDM either through
    the task manager, or by launching it through the start command. (The
    "/LOW" switch for start does this - see "/?" for more command line
    options.)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > All DOS applications take up 100% CPU - there is no way around this.

    Try this...

    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC34

    "DOS does not correctly use the CPU HLT instruction. The result is that it
    takes host CPU cycles even when idle. You can install the utility from
    http://www.vmware.com/software/dosidle210.zip to solve this problem."

    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC28

    "Windows 9x does not correctly use the CPU HLT instruction. The result is that
    it takes host CPU cycles even when idle. You can install the utility from
    http://www.user.cityline.ru/~maxamn/amnhltm.zip to solve this problem. Note
    that no such tool is needed for NT, 2000 or XP."

    I don't know if it works with DOS apps on WinXP (I have not tested the those
    utils), but it might help...

    Kosma
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    I've had good results to reduce the cpu hogging when running the DOS
    version on windows by turning the "idle sensitivity" setting all the
    way to "high" in the properties for my ADOM shortcut. It almost becomes
    cpu friendly this way.

MP4 Video Games