Sign in with
Your question

Fresh Win 7 Install on SSD's - Question!

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Partition
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 11:22:12 PM

I am going to run 2x 256GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series in a Raid 0 Config.

The question is this:

I plan on using this computer for gaming and school work. How big should I make the windows 7 partition? I use steam. Should I partition the the entire space so I can just save and install all my games, data, etc. on the same partition as the OS, with about 72GB for backup?

OR

Should I just partition it for 72GB for plenty of OS room expansion and resource usage and suck it up and learn to do a junction with LSE so I can have the other 440GB free for storage and games?

Suggestions and Advice are welcome. Thank You!

NOTE: I am aware of no performance gains from raiding SSD's.

More about : fresh win install ssd question

a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2013 11:33:19 PM

Didn't you ask this same question earlier?
Do not use a partition on a raid 0 drive to back up the other partition. If you lose 1 drive, you will lose everything on the raid - every partition.

You won't see 512GB of actual usable space - more like about 475GB.

You could partition the drive if you want, but I don't think there's a real need for it. I would still recommend a hard drive for data, and/or an external drive for backups at a minimum.
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:35:24 PM

There are several programs including STEAM that will want to put at least some of the files on the C: drive. Best to Partition the whole drive and use a fast 7200RPM or better secondary drive. Some games like Civ5 have huge performance gains from a regular SSD.
I swap out the programs manually to my second drive when I am not playing them actively.
Online games tend not to have much performance gain.
m
l
!