First win survey:

Last response: in Video Games
September 9, 2005 5:58:47 PM

This newsgroup has been a bit dead in the last few days, so I figured
that I'd give a bit of a discussion-starter to liven things up.

I guess this may be considered spoily, so...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
yeah.

Describe the situation of your first win, as much as you wish to.
Things to consider including are:

Your character's race/class/anything else special about the character
Was it an easy win, or were you struggling the entire time?
How did you feel during the endgame? (kind of vague, so be creative)
Did you do anything after winning, or just ascend and leave the chain?
(such as GWU quest to cleanse corruptions, getting more pts. by getting
the Bug Temple line in your final score, kill Yergius, etc.)
Anything else you'd like to include...

For example:

My first win was Tarc, the Female Gray-Elven Archer. Up until her, the
only winner I had was save-scummed, so that doesn't even count. This
was the first character that I had created who legitimately lived past
the ToEF. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous and ended up relying on
the Guidebook pretty heavily. However, as a high-level archer, nothing
really stood up to my onslaught of arrows. This was first discovered
when I dropped the ACW in one hit with a blessed arrow of slaying.

None of the other orb guardians proved to be a challenge, except the
Ancient Stone Beast, who refused to die to arrows, so I ended up killing
it in melee (with an eternium dagger, no less). The only corruption
that was bugging me was the "stiff muscles" one, and that was a big
problem, so I had it cleared up (along with all of my other corruptions)
with the GWU quest.

D:50 was heart-pumping for me, having never been down there before with
a legitimate character. I, unfortunately, didn't know how to use the
lvl 50 ability to shoot through things; it never occurred to me to
target a monster behind a few other ones to shoot through them. Even
then, the level wasn't all that difficult, although Fistinarius put a
hurt on. I opted for the "kill everything" method, and thought I was
done, until I zapped a wand of monster detection... there was a threat
room of molochs on the right side of the level!

The only reason I had enough arrows for D:50 was because I had scummed a
few from a Barbarian Leader and a Raider that were on D:48... there was
no way I would have enough arrows to take out that many molochs.
Luckily, I had been crowned with Thunderstroke, so I had a crossbow in
my inventory, and happened to have some Demon Slaying quarrels. So,
with no skill in crossbows, I started peppering those beasts for all I
was worth. They dropped pretty quickly and weren't able to hit me, due
to their low speed.

From there, I ran as fast as I could up the stairs, and fled into the
mountains, never to be seen again. I returned with seven corruptions,
so I was too disfigured to gain the love of my people. Eh, whatever,
for a first win, I'll take it.

So, in conclusion, as an archer, my first win wasn't too difficult at
all, but I was surprised that the first character to get past the ToEF
would end up to be a winner (I always laugh when I think of that,
because I read an old post that regarded the ACW as the "secret final
boss of the game" or something like that, since it's one of the hardest
monsters you'll face, in relation to your charcter's level and
readiness... too bad that I can't recall who posted it).

So that's that... perhaps this will spark some discussion if you want to
wax nostalgic on your first winner.

More about : win survey

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 1:48:58 AM

Nick Strnad <strnadSPAM.2@SPAMosu.edu> writes:

>This newsgroup has been a bit dead in the last few days, so I figured
>that I'd give a bit of a discussion-starter to liven things up.

>I guess this may be considered spoily, so...
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>..
>.
>.
>.
>.
>..
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>..
>yeah.

>Describe the situation of your first win, as much as you wish to.

It was a gray elven beastfighter. The Message-ID for the
victory post is <jkuusist.978395988@snakemail.hut.fi>.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto
Anonymous

Nick Strnad wrote:
> This newsgroup has been a bit dead in the last few days, so I figured
> that I'd give a bit of a discussion-starter to liven things up.
>
> I guess this may be considered spoily, so...
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ..
> yeah.
>
> Describe the situation of your first win, as much as you wish to. Things
> to consider including are:
>
> Your character's race/class/anything else special about the character
> Was it an easy win, or were you struggling the entire time?

A Gnomish Wizard, regular win, back in 1999. I don't really remember
much about it, but I still have the FLG, so let's see...

It was a pretty easy win. Back in those days, blessed crystals of
knowledge increased Learning unconditionally, and together with potions
of exchange I used that effect to get three stats to 99. I wasn't too
lucky and ended up with the other two maxed-out stats being Willpower
and Charisma, but still the overall stats were pretty insane.

> How did you feel during the endgame? (kind of vague, so be creative)
> Did you do anything after winning, or just ascend and leave the chain?
> (such as GWU quest to cleanse corruptions, getting more pts. by getting
> the Bug Temple line in your final score, kill Yergius, etc.)
> Anything else you'd like to include...

I did the greater white unicorn quest after closing the gate. There was
no Bug Temple back then, but I think I completed all the non-chaotic
optional quests that existed back then, including the Cat Lord "quest".
I didn't manage to save the puppy though.

Malte
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:58:52 PM

My first was a drakeling monk.

It was a great battle, rolling with the punches and flying with the
kicks. But, er... I realised a little late that I was a bit low level
for D:50, so ended up swapping places (Go monks!) and pulling the
levers, then died defending them. At least it was technically a game
win!
!