No boot device crazy issue

driftedpanic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013
Hello,
So loaded up a older laptop from 2009, with the common issue " no boot device found". So I went pooped in the restore CDs and reloaded the OS and went through and redid everything. " thought it fixed issue" shut down and reloaded os. With same msg " no boot device found" so i pressed F2 and choose boot proprity hard drive and then it loaded OS as if nothing happened. So i thought maybe my hard drive could have issues, Did harddrive all passed, So i think now that it could be my motherboard or the sata connecter? any other ideas guys ?

neo_classical

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hi,
It's probably me, but I don't see the problem.
You went into the BIOS and selected the boot device and it loaded? Or it still failed to load.
Sorry, it's late and I'd like to try to help, but unsure exactly what you mean.

could be a bad cmos battery. if the battery is bad it not going to hold any settings. on next boot up with the error. try going into the bios and check the data and time see if it holding. also try just changing the boot device in the bios and save and exit.
if it is the cmos battery you may be able to flip the laptop over and replace it.

Have a printer plugged in that has a card reader on it? Or a monitor with usb ports or a card reader? There's your source.

If you have something like this then you are falling prone to the downside of having USB emulation (potentially) in your BIOS settings. It's not really anything you can do about it except take the devices out of the boot list in the BIOS and see if it helps. I used to encounter this A LOT back when I worked for DELL and it would baffle the end user what was the actual cause to it.