Mac Keyboard on Windows 7 PC / USB 3.0

dlamartina

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I recently bought a Mac aluminum keyboard (wired) to use with my Windows 7 PC. It's a Sager / Clevo 9150 if that makes any difference. When I first plugged it in, it worked immediately...and then just stopped. Whenever it's not working, the system notifies me that a USB device wasn't recognized. I've tried several fixes, including reinstalling the USB drivers and disabling the Windows Update driver installation via gpedit. I'm actually typing on the keyboard right now, but it seems to randomly switch between working and not working. I thought perhaps it could be a USB compatibility issue, since the keyboard is 2.0 and my laptop is 3.0. Still, that doesn't seem to explain the apparently-random wavering between working and not working.

Thanks

dlamartina

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Yes, I've used every port on my laptop, as well as my hub. Doesn't make any difference - the keyboard just intermittently stops working. At this point, I'm wondering if it's just a problem with the keyboard itself. I don't know of any reason why it would simply stop being detected.

dlamartina

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Well, I went and exchanged the keyboard, and this one seems to be working perfectly...for now.

EDIT: By the way, I did try it on another PC and had similar results, which would also lead me to believe it was a problem with the keyboard.

dlamartina

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Well, it's working fine...

I have been using various PC USB keyboards (and mice) on Macs for years with no problems. You just need to know how the 'special' Mac keys map to the PC keyboard.

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Mac keyboards work on PCs. There's some drivers that are needed for it to run properly that I believe are available somewhere on the Apple website. If Apple keyboards did not work on PCs, then there would be a lot of complaints from Bootcampers.

dlamartina

Honorable
May 29, 2012

No, you don't need bootcamp. DO NOT just go installing bootcamp on a Windows PC. Maybe there's a way to make it work, but I installed it, messed up my Windows install, and had to do a restore. Once I got a properly-working keyboard, all I had to do was plug it in.