This stairway is very long?

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2005 10:14:39 PM

I have a character in the CoC who just found the arena level at D: 5.
When I came down the stairs from D: 4, I got the aforementioned message,
"This stairway is very long."
I don't remember ever seeing this before, even when I've found the arena
in the past. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Thanks,

--Al

More about : stairway long

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:05:19 PM

Al Puzzuoli wrote:

> I have a character in the CoC who just found the arena level at D: 5.
> When I came down the stairs from D: 4, I got the aforementioned
> message, "This stairway is very long."
>
> I don't remember ever seeing this before, even when I've found the
> arena in the past. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Nothing important.

No one has ever been able to figure out exactly what circumstances
trigger it, on a modern machine, but all the message means is that it is
taking an unusually long amount of time to generate the next level for
some reason - so, to explain away the delay (which is unnoticeable on
faster machines), the game prints this message.

That's the only explanation I've ever seen proposed, anyway, and no one
(including the code-divers in their heyday) has ever contradicted it.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
September 26, 2006 12:21:05 PM

I've made some investigations with blessed scroll of magic mapping and figured out that every time this message was generated ("The stairway is very long...") there were only two rooms(except for arena room itself) - the entrance room(with stairs leading upwards) and exit room(with stairs leading downwards). No other rooms were generated when this message appeared.
!