This stairway is very long?

I have a character in the CoC who just found the arena level at D: 5.
When I came down the stairs from D: 4, I got the aforementioned message,
"This stairway is very long."
I don't remember ever seeing this before, even when I've found the arena
in the past. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Thanks,

--Al
2 answers Last reply
More about this stairway long
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Al Puzzuoli wrote:

    > I have a character in the CoC who just found the arena level at D: 5.
    > When I came down the stairs from D: 4, I got the aforementioned
    > message, "This stairway is very long."
    >
    > I don't remember ever seeing this before, even when I've found the
    > arena in the past. Does anyone know what this signifies?

    Nothing important.

    No one has ever been able to figure out exactly what circumstances
    trigger it, on a modern machine, but all the message means is that it is
    taking an unusually long amount of time to generate the next level for
    some reason - so, to explain away the delay (which is unnoticeable on
    faster machines), the game prints this message.

    That's the only explanation I've ever seen proposed, anyway, and no one
    (including the code-divers in their heyday) has ever contradicted it.

    --
    The Wanderer

    side of it.

    Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
  2. I've made some investigations with blessed scroll of magic mapping and figured out that every time this message was generated ("The stairway is very long...") there were only two rooms(except for arena room itself) - the entrance room(with stairs leading upwards) and exit room(with stairs leading downwards). No other rooms were generated when this message appeared.

Games Video Games