• Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 29, 2012 9:50:25 PM

Hello there!
I'm trying to find a 23" or 24" monitor that will be suitable for gaming. A resolution of 1900 x 1080 is preferred.
My budget is around 300$, though for a close-to-perfect monitor I'd be glad to pay 350$. I'll be playing games like Skyrim, Diablo 3 and various MMORPG/RTS games.
My graphics card is a GTX 670.

I've already looked through a large amount of reviews and posts, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I want a reliable monitor with low input lag, a response time of 8ms or less and an overall elegant/clean look.
Many Asus monitors have an orange "on" button which really bothers me, so I'd prefer not to get any of those.

Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

More about : choosing gaming monitor

May 29, 2012 11:01:33 PM

MauveCloud said:
How do you feel about the Dell U2312HM?
Review here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm
Available for about $237 here:
http://www.ebyte.com/productdetails/DELL+MONITORS/469-1...

I've been considering the U2312HM, since it seems to be a very good monitor overall. However, I'm not a fan of the design. If I'm not able to find another equally good monitor (in terms of performance), I'll probably go with it. I want to make sure I go over all my options before settling for it, though. A monitor is something you look at a lot, so having one you don't find attractive is a not optimal.

Anything else you would recommend?
Do you think stretching my budget a little could help me find a more attractive monitor?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 C Monitor
May 29, 2012 11:21:43 PM

It might be easier if I had some idea of your aesthetic tastes. Personally, I like the look of that Dell monitor. I wouldn't get it myself for other reasons (it's a bit small for me, and it doesn't have the component and composite inputs that I want). Also, I figure I spend more time paying attention to what's displayed on the screen than to the look of the monitor itself, so maybe I'm not very picky. Could you provide some examples of monitors that you liked the look of, but maybe were too expensive or otherwise failed to meet your requirements? Then I could try to find similar-looking monitors that fit your requirements.
m
l
May 30, 2012 8:26:12 AM

I'll be sitting 2 feet away from the monitor, so I think going above 23" or 24" will be too big. My current monitor is small and old, so any upgrade will be amazing.

The ASUS VS248H-P is the closest to perfect I could find, and I would've picked it if it were available here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The ASUS VW246H isn't bad either.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
However, the stand makes it not very adjustable so I'd pick the U2312HM over it.

Thank you for your help!
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 C Monitor
May 30, 2012 12:47:11 PM

The VS248H-P isn't available for you? Are you not in the US?

Before you reject a monitor based on stand functionality, remember that VESA mounting holes allow you to attach it to a stand or arm that you can purchase separately. Or is part of your reason for preferring the looks of those Asus monitors over the Dell the fact that their stands attach at the bottom instead of the middle of the back?

If you like controls along the bottom instead of along the side, you could have a look at the Samsung B2430H or the Acer V243HAJbd as possible alternatives.
May 30, 2012 1:22:28 PM

Nope, I'm in Asia.

I didn't know that! That's extremely useful information. I'll take another look at the monitors I rejected for their flimsy stand. If I can just replace it, that'll make things a whole lot easier.

The Samsung B2430H is a great suggestion. I'll definitely consider it.

Well, looks like I have several great options now. I'll see which one fits me the most and buy it next week. Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate it.
m
l
May 30, 2012 1:22:42 PM

Best answer selected by Stormborn.
m
l
!