Damn. Rolled up an orcish priest character and hit the SMC, first
weapon I picked up was a longsword of mayhem, but it got blasted by the
first trapped door I hit, so I switched to a flaming quarterstaff that
I had just found. Grabbed the blanket and hit the puppy cave. Kenny was
dead, and I already had Herbalism and Healing skills so after picking
up pick-pocketing from the outlaw village I descended down the UD.
Picked up an adamantine longsword of slaughtering and switched to that.
I started realizing that I was having a pretty damn good run of luck so
far...

Through the UD and across to the CoC after wiping out the hostile Stone
Giant Lord in the HMV. Started making my way down towards the Dwarven
village. Hit about D:^ and got a surge of power. The named Displacer
Beast guarding Ironfist fell in a couple of rounds to repeated Burning
Hands. Realized I was having an incredible run of luck...

Hit the big room and managed to set it up so that it had three good 2x2
blocks of herbs. Ambled down to the Dwarven Village and received by
first quest - to kill another Displacer Beast. I then checked out the
shop (I normally leave it until I get my first quest, in case I have
to kill a mimic), and saw that Executor was lying on the floor. Nice.
Made a mental note to buy it at a later date and hit the Big Room where
I soon offed a Displacer Beast. Realized that my ludicrous run of luck
was ongoing, despite the fact that I didn't believe the character
possessed either 'Lucky' or 'Fate Smiles' intrinsics.

Back to the Dwarven Village for the next quest. I soon found myself in
the Dwarven Halls where I decided to read a ?oFS. Say 'hello' to my new
best mate - Pelastrides the Black Wyrm. Steering him ahead of me to
clear the way through DV:1 and DV:2 was a joy. Nothing stood up to his
melee attacks longer than two rounds, and if he wasn't close enough he
would cast confusion upon them, or blast them with balls of energy or
breath acid at them. Me and my big black scaley chum were unstoppable.
Expected the wrath of the RNG to destroy me in revenge for the insane
luck I had had so far.

ID'd my possessions and discovered an uncursed =oDS lurking in my
inventory when I reached Khelly. Got the Black Wyrm to waste the
chaotic nasties and blessed the ring before using it to get an AoLS for
the dying sage. I passed it over, got the goodies and hit the next
level. The Black Wyrm was now so powerful that I felt confident enough
to read through my stack of eight or ten accumulated spellbooks in the
middle of a large room, confident that the Wyrm would take care of any
trouble. I didn't even bother to stop reading when things attacked me.
They fell quickly enough. At this point I was runnng out of adjectives
to describe how lucky I was feeling...

....of course when I hit the Graveyard level my so-called best mate
Palestrides the very experienced Black Wyrm managed to get separated
from my side when I entered the main grave-littered area and decided
that it would be a 'really neat idea' to use his acid breath on the row
of undead next to him: the acid burned through the zombie, greater
mummy, wraith and skeletal warrior before it hit me.

Goodbye 108 hit points. Hello -137 hit points.

The RNG giveth...

And the RNG taketh away.

At any rate, this is part of the reason why I don't bank on strong
partners. The lack of intelligence and the tediousness of
operation/command have long made me despise slaves, familiars, pets, or
companions in any sense. Ironically, my first victory ever was with a
grey elven Necro. He was only capable of raising spectres, and only
that by the end of the struggle against chaos. Luckiest spellcaster
I've had yet, I do believe, and a Champion of Balance to boot.

The best partners I've had have been a quickling queen and a adult
Karmic Dragon. Both of them I ended up killing myself because it was
too much trouble bending them to my --the player's-- will.

I suggest a strong isolationist outlook next time. =D

- Master Phe