Blessed ring of doom, any reason to buy?

I found one of these in a ring shop. Any advantage to picking it up?

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> I found one of these in a ring shop. Any advantage to picking it up?
>
> Thanks,

Spoiler
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8
*
8

The B/U/C status does not mean much with a Ring of Doom -- it
autocurses as soon as you put it on. There is not much use in it other
than wearing it to help achieve "Grand Mastery" in weapon skill. While
in the wilderness, encounters are increased while doomed.

~m.

Meranda Anne wrote:
> Al Puzzuoli wrote:
>
>>I found one of these in a ring shop. Any advantage to picking it up?
>>
>>Thanks,
>

> Spoiler
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
> *
> 8
>
> The B/U/C status does not mean much with a Ring of Doom -- it
> autocurses as soon as you put it on. There is not much use in it other
> than wearing it to help achieve "Grand Mastery" in weapon skill. While
> in the wilderness, encounters are increased while doomed.

You can also use it to increase monster generation... useful for
live-saccing. Once you get close enough to pray for
(pre-/post-)crowning, however, remember to uncurse it and remove it;
praying while doomed is a bad idea.

Dooming also increases the danger levels of the dungeons, which
increases the chances that better items - including artifacts - will be
generated.

Note that playing doomed for any purpose is very dangerous. Nasty
creatures will be generated and all monsters will hit you extremely
hard. Having both lucky and Fate smiles is not enough to negate the
effect of dooming. Play doomed at your own risk.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

Yeah...I refuse to play doomed on purpose unless I have a pretty
co-aligned altar in front of me, and I -love- borderline suicidal
strategies. I spent too much time toiling through the endless jackals
in the wilderness between the CoC and the Dwarven Graveyards, once, to
be interested at all in doing that again.

Jackals are the bane of my existence. Wretched things are even at my
favorite alignment, so I normally can't sack them. Jackals are, in my
opinion, the most frustrating enemies in the game, and going outside
when doomed is very strongly not suggested by me.