On the subject of non-missile weapons:

The article on Fighters (or melee classes in general) prompted me to
post this question that I've been mulling around in my head for a while:

Spoiler space, due to the spoily nature of this spoily spoiler..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Okay...

When facing down the ACW, I always use spells or slaying ammo to deal
with it. However, that seems kind of dumb, because I want my characters
to be more diverse than having to use bows/crossbows to deal with the
ACW. Is it feasible to kill the ACW with non-slaying items, either in
melee or something like rocks + sling? I remember facing the ACW with a
throwing-dagger Thief once... he didn't last too long at all, even
though I could take out the minions pretty quickly.

What kind of advice is out there for facing the ACW with
non-slaying-ammo / non-spell characters? Or is it pretty much that you
kind of need one or the other to deal with the fearsome beast?

Further potential spoiler warning.
..
..
..
K.

I've taken him on with a Trollish Barbarian before, and won fairly
quickly. I had the tremendous blow ability at that time, of course, and
I didn't have to worry about his minions at all...I moved in at an
angle and forced him to step to meet me without pausing in my rush to
get that effect, so he didn't have any extra turns to cast anything at
me, and I went Berserk for the three to five blows I had to deal him
before he fell. I can't remember what weapon I was weilding, but it
wasn't an artifact--maybe I got really lucky, or maybe that kind of
thing is pretty easily repeated--I wouldn't know, I didn't test it.
Just throwing it out there for you.
I despise creatures that corrupt with their hits only slightly less
than I hate stat-draining Balors, and that's saying something...to me,
it was a big risk to go at him like that, but I like experimenting with
my characters to see what limits I can push them to, and I don't often
worry about the adverse effects asking for divine intervention has on
my final score. Usually my better characters find an altar before they
hit the CoC, so I've got enough piety to fix me up if I'm in a bind
without risking carrying flammable items in the ToEF, but that's just
my playing style.

I am of the opinion that any Assasin, Archer, or Spellcaster of any
sort should be able to hold their own at that point if they're able to
get that far in the ToEF, but obviously this doesn't help you. Try
using a poisoned weapon with whatever class you are and then ducking
around a corner, if you can stand the heat and trust your poison that
much. Of course, having Vanquisher always helps...;-) Rocks exploding
are of course no fun at all, so I usually avoid taking them in there at
all. This is only my opinion, too, but if your character is good enough
with daggers, I absolutely love the phase dagger...or two. A ranger
that's been worked with nothing but daggers is a little difficult, and
finding ONE, let alone TWO phase daggers by that point is also, heh, a
little difficult sometimes, but I feel that if you can manage it,
that'd be worth a try. Maybe use a wish?.....

....wait, I just remembered I had one particular idea that I thought
would be awesome if it worked, but that I haven't tested. Maybe you
could try it?

I'm not a big fan of Orcs, but if I remember right, don't they start
out with the backstabbing skill garaunteed? A friend of mine tried an
Orcish Barbarian once, and it struck me at some point how freakishly
cool it would be if a berserking barbarian snuck up and backstabbed
someone with a tremendous blow.

Is it possible to backstab with a mighty, or tremendous blow? Has
anyone tried this already? I wish you the *best* of luck trying to
sneak up on the ACW, but I think this would be an awesome combo, if it
were possible. At the very least, shouldn't it be possible to backstab
with a tremendous blow outside of berserking mode?

Thoughts.

Nick Strnad wrote:
> The article on Fighters (or melee classes in general) prompted me to
> post this question that I've been mulling around in my head for a while:
>
> Spoiler space, due to the spoily nature of this spoily spoiler..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Okay...
>
> When facing down the ACW, I always use spells or slaying ammo to deal
> with it. However, that seems kind of dumb, because I want my characters
> to be more diverse than having to use bows/crossbows to deal with the
> ACW. Is it feasible to kill the ACW with non-slaying items, either in
> melee or something like rocks + sling? I remember facing the ACW with a
> throwing-dagger Thief once... he didn't last too long at all, even
> though I could take out the minions pretty quickly.
>
> What kind of advice is out there for facing the ACW with
> non-slaying-ammo / non-spell characters? Or is it pretty much that you
> kind of need one or the other to deal with the fearsome beast?

Being a fellow that almost always takes on the ACW entirely in melee, I
think I'll try to help you out.

Obviously, you will most likely get hurt. Just get out your wands. If
you have some wands of cold they can work all right to soften it up, but
I usually go with poison, stunning and webbing. The webs don't burn and
they can hold the Wyrm pretty well. If you have the dragon slaying
missiles to spare then you may as well use them; by most accounts that
ought to kill it in a couple shots, although that's not borne out in my
own experience.

If you haven't got the missiles, then stunning will help you out a lot
in melee. It will likely take many charges, but once you've stunned it
it ought to stay stunned for at least a dozen turns. It might hit you,
of course, but that's just a risk you have to be willing to take. It's
probably best to be at least Very Aggressive.

If you happen to have a lot of arrows to blow off and you're not that
comfortable being next to a raging, stunned Wyrm, back off and just
start wearing it down. Stun it to prevent it from casting spells and web
it to hold it in place, then fire away for a few scores of turns. You'll
probably have to finish it in melee, though. Granted that even with my
archers I usually don't launch an aerial assault (in fact a lot of times
in the past I've just left almost all my missiles/launchers outside the
Tower), so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but then
again I've never been killed in the Fire Temple, so there has to be
something to the whole melee thing.

Just remember to heal and use your wands to give yourself an advantage,
and you ought to do fine in melee.

I accept no responsibility if my advice gets you killed.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

Pheonix357 wrote:
> Further potential spoiler warning.
> .
> .
> .
> K.

Léon! We need you again! :)

I dunno... what do people think of this whole "degrees of spoiler space"
concept? Because, personally, it really sticks in my craw.

Forget about "degrees". If it's spoily to *any* degree, then add enough
spoiler space to push the spoilers off the reader's screen. That way,
those who wish to be spoiled have to scroll down; those who don't won't
see a thing. That is the point of spoiler space, I'm sure.

Nothing personal, Pheonix357; a lot of people do it. I just don't
understand why.

--

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:47:05 -0400, Josh Singh wrote:

> Pheonix357 wrote:
>> Further potential spoiler warning.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> K.
>
> Léon! We need you again! :)
>
> I dunno... what do people think of this whole "degrees of spoiler space"
> concept? Because, personally, it really sticks in my craw.
>
> Forget about "degrees". If it's spoily to *any* degree, then add enough
> spoiler space to push the spoilers off the reader's screen. That way,

Its also worth pointing out that replying to a spoily post with more
spoilers means full spoiler space is needed.