Laptop Security

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2004 6:41:42 PM

I'm a recent convert to a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100).
I worry about what will happen if it gets lost or stolen as I move it
between home and work.
I back up to my desktop computer regularly and use Ashampoo Power Encrypt to
encrypt my data on the Laptop (on partition D) to hide it from prying eyes;
but what about cookies, passwords for banking details etc on the C drive?
What do other folk do?
Tony

More about : laptop security

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2004 7:47:49 PM

passwords are kept in my head, not on my computer.

"ajh" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> I'm a recent convert to a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100).
> I worry about what will happen if it gets lost or stolen as I move it
> between home and work.
> I back up to my desktop computer regularly and use Ashampoo Power Encrypt
> encrypt my data on the Laptop (on partition D) to hide it from prying
> eyes;
> but what about cookies, passwords for banking details etc on the C drive?
> What do other folk do?
> Tony

August 6, 2004 9:47:33 PM

ajh wrote:

> I'm a recent convert to a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100).
> I worry about what will happen if it gets lost or stolen as I move it
> between home and work.
> I back up to my desktop computer regularly and use Ashampoo Power Encrypt to
> encrypt my data on the Laptop (on partition D) to hide it from prying eyes;
> but what about cookies, passwords for banking details etc on the C drive?
> What do other folk do?

Set a password for the HDD.
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 7, 2004 12:15:51 PM

Thanks, I've done that now and feel a lot safer now. Can't think why I
didn't know about it before.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> ajh wrote:
>
> > I'm a recent convert to a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100).
> > I worry about what will happen if it gets lost or stolen as I move it
> > between home and work.
> > I back up to my desktop computer regularly and use Ashampoo Power
Encrypt to
> > encrypt my data on the Laptop (on partition D) to hide it from prying
eyes;
> > but what about cookies, passwords for banking details etc on the C
drive?
> > What do other folk do?
>
> Set a password for the HDD.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 7, 2004 4:10:52 PM

"ajh" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> I'm a recent convert to a Laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100).
> I worry about what will happen if it gets lost or stolen as I move it
> between home and work.
> I back up to my desktop computer regularly and use Ashampoo Power Encrypt
> encrypt my data on the Laptop (on partition D) to hide it from prying
eyes;
> but what about cookies, passwords for banking details etc on the C drive?
> What do other folk do?
> Tony

Along with everything else, stick a StuffBak label on it; learn more at
http://www.infosystemspro.com/ilike_004.htm

Carmine Castiglia
InfosystemsPro.com
August 8, 2004 8:22:15 AM

ajh wrote:
> Thanks, I've done that now and feel a lot safer now. Can't think why I
> didn't know about it before.

You're welcome - good luck with your laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2004 12:52:06 PM

Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>Set a password for the HDD.

Does this actually encrypt the HDD data, or can you still pull the
hard drive and read it in another machine?

Does this have something to do with the SmartCard function?

--
William Smith
a b D Laptop

> ajh wrote:
> > Thanks, I've done that now and feel a lot safer now. Can't think why I
> > didn't know about it before.
>
> You're welcome - good luck with your laptop.

Out of interest, if someone else got hold of my laptop what would they have
to do to get past the password? Could they disconnect the bios battery, and
is that easy to do, or would they have to send the laptop to Dell to fix it?
If they took the hard drive out and put into another machine, would they be
able to read it?
Sorry to ask so much. I've searched around for quite a while on google etc
but haven't found the answers to these questions.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2004 4:48:50 PM

"ajh" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> > ajh wrote:
> > > Thanks, I've done that now and feel a lot safer now. Can't think why I
> > > didn't know about it before.
> >
> > You're welcome - good luck with your laptop.
>
> Out of interest, if someone else got hold of my laptop what would they
have
> to do to get past the password? Could they disconnect the bios battery,
and
> is that easy to do, or would they have to send the laptop to Dell to fix
it?
> If they took the hard drive out and put into another machine, would they
be
> able to read it?
> Sorry to ask so much. I've searched around for quite a while on google etc
> but haven't found the answers to these questions.

Laptop manufacturers (and chipset designers) long ago recognized the problem
and put in place appropriate measures. So far as I know, the only way to
get around a BIOS password on a Dell notebook is to call tech support and
convince them that you are the rightful owner of the device.

As to the hard drive, if you are not using hard drive data encryption then
it would be a fairly simple matter to remove it and attach to the drive
controller in any desktop. Adapters are available to go from the large
connector on a standard IDE drive cable to the somewhat smaller connector on
a 2-1/2" notebook disk drive.

Carmine Castiglia
Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags -
http://www.infosystemspro.com/pdaparts.htm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2004 6:38:51 PM

William, P.N., Smith wrote:

> Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
> >Set a password for the HDD.
>
> Does this actually encrypt the HDD data, or can you still pull the
> hard drive and read it in another machine?
>
> Does this have something to do with the SmartCard function?

Head over to comp.sys.laptops.

This topic has been recently discussed, ad nauseum.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2004 8:39:02 PM

Thanks Notan and Sparky, The ng you mentioned has provided me with good
reading. I am totally convinced that HD password is good enough for me. What
a pity Dell didn't refer to it in the handbook.

> Head over to comp.sys.laptops.
>
> This topic has been recently discussed, ad nauseum.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 8, 2004 9:20:18 PM

ajh wrote:

> Thanks Notan and Sparky, The ng you mentioned has provided me with good
> reading. I am totally convinced that HD password is good enough for me. What
> a pity Dell didn't refer to it in the handbook.

As others (Barry, in particular) have suggested, your HD password
is your best bet against data (not laptop) theft.

Good Luck!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2004 12:26:21 AM

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>William, P.N., Smith wrote:
>> Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>> >Set a password for the HDD.

>> Does this actually encrypt the HDD data, or can you still pull the
>> hard drive and read it in another machine?

>Head over to comp.sys.laptops.
>This topic has been recently discussed, ad nauseum.

I must be dense, I've grepped for {password, security, hard, drive}
and seen nothing about what kind of security is offered by putting in
a hard drive password.

Can you point me to a thread, or give me the subject name?

Thanks!

--
William Smith
a b D Laptop

William, P.N., Smith wrote:

> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
> >William, P.N., Smith wrote:
>
> >> Does this actually encrypt the HDD data, or can you still pull the
> >> hard drive and read it in another machine?
>
> >Head over to comp.sys.laptops.
> >This topic has been recently discussed, ad nauseum.
>
> I must be dense, I've grepped for {password, security, hard, drive}
> and seen nothing about what kind of security is offered by putting in
> a hard drive password.
>
> Can you point me to a thread, or give me the subject name?

Sure!

Try "Must we trash an excellent laptop?"

Notan
August 9, 2004 10:33:17 AM

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:
>
>>Set a password for the HDD.
>
> Does this actually encrypt the HDD data, or can you still pull the
> hard drive and read it in another machine?

For IBM ThinkPads (which is what I own) the HDD password is stored on
the HDD and travels with it, so moving the HDD to another machine
wouldn't help. Setting the HDD password doesn't encrypt the drive (XP
Pro can do that it you want).

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?ln...

Passwords

* A HDD Password (HDP) protects HDD data from unauthorized users. Once
HDP is set, data on the HDD cannot be accessed without the correct HDP.
Because the HDP is stored in the HDD, the data remains protected even if
the HDD is removed to another system. The HDP password prompt appears:

o Each time the system is turned on

http://www.nortek.on.ca/hdd_pw.html#HDD

Nortek claims they can remove a HDD password - insuring the data content
costs extra:

Our proprietary process removes the password protection from a locked
notebook (Travelstar™) Hard Disk Drive without the loss of user data or
replacement of the drive. If your problem is just a locked HDD, Nortek
requires only the drive for servicing; the ThinkPad™ can stay in your
possession. The development process of Hard Disk password removal
involved our custom servowriting positioning equipment, specialized
hardware, software, and a class 100 clean-room.

* Unlock $85 US* (no data recovery).

Password protection is removed, and the drive is returned to the
customer. No testing or certification is performed, and Data is not
preserved. Nortek will not provide any warranty of any kind as to the
operational condition of these units. (We do not recommend this option
unless the exact condition of the drive, before it was locked, is
known.) TAT 1 business day (on request).

* Unlock and Certify $145 US* (no data recovery).

Password protection is removed and the drive is fully tested, certified,
and burned in to ensure the unit meets OEM specifications. Data is not
preserved. Nortek will warranty these drives as to operational condition
for a period of 30 days. (We recommend this option for customers who are
interested in the drive and it's good working order.) TAT 1 business day
to a maximum of 2 business days.

* Unlock, Retrieve Data, Certify, Restore Data $295 US* (complete data
recovery).

Password protection is removed, existing data is sector-level duplicated
onto a temporary back-up device, the drive is fully tested, certified
and burned in to ensure the unit meets OEM specifications. All data is
then restored to the drive, exactly as it was prior to the lock. Nortek
will warranty these drives as to operational condition for a period of
30 days. (We recommend this option for customers who require 100%
turnkey data recovery solution.) TAT 1 business day to a maximum of 2
business days.

*The above listed Hard Disk password removal prices are based on IBM
Travelstar drives; the service charges may increase and turnaround times
may vary if your Hard Disk Drive is not manufactured by IBM; please
email us (support@nortek.on.ca) your HDD model/type for further details.

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?ln...

How to set, remove or change a hard disk drive password - ThinkPad General
Applicable countries and regions

This document contains information on how to set, remove or change a
hard drive password on your IBM ThinkPad 365X, 380, 385, 560, 750, 755,
760, 765.

Note: Do not forget your hard disk password! Keep it in a safe place. If
you forget your hard disk password, there is no way to reset your
password or recover data in the hard disk drive. Neither an IBM
authorized reseller nor IBM marketing representative can make the hard
disk drive usable.

*Removing a Hard Disk Password:
The procedure to remove a hard disk password depends on whether or not
it is set to the same password as the power-on password.

When the hard disk password is set the same as the power-on password:
Remove the password by following the procedure below. This operation
removes both the hard disk password and the power on password.

You must remove your password at the password prompt that appears when
you turn on the computer. To remove the password, at the prompt: Enter
your current password, press the Spacebar and then press Enter.

When the hard disk password and the power-on password are different, or
a power-on password has not been
set:
1. Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds: then turn it on.
2. If you have set the power-on password, type it; then press Enter.
3. When the hard disk password prompt appears, type your current
password, press the Spacebar, and then press Enter.

*Setting a Hard Disk Password:
This procedure is for setting password on the HDD in the ThinkPad, for
HDD in the Select-A-Dock refer to your user guide.
1. Start Easy-Setup by pressing and holding F1 and then turning on the
computer.
2. Select Password icon and then select HDD-1 or HDD-2 according to the
hard disk type you want to set.
3. Type your desired hard disk password; then press Enter. You can use
any combination of up to 7 characters. Use a combination of any letters
or numbers (A to Z, 0 to 9) in uppercase (A) or lowercase (a). Uppercase
and lowercase letters are treated the same.
4. Type your hard disk drive password again to verify it; the press Enter.

Document id: YAST-3JXNTY

Last modified: 2003-08-12
Copyright © 2004 IBM Corporation
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2004 12:23:47 PM

Actually *re:* "Must we trash an excellent laptop?" (Aug 5th)

> Try "Must we trash an excellent laptop?"
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2004 1:57:19 PM

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>Try "Must we trash an excellent laptop?"

Thank you! Just the discussion I was looking for. For future
reference, hard drive passwords are implemented in the hard drive
itself, and they will not respond at all until the correct password
has been transmitted to them, nor will swapping boards allow them to
work. Probably not proof against the NSA, but pretty good for us
ordinary mortals.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 9, 2004 6:38:03 PM

William, P.N., Smith wrote:

> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
> >Try "Must we trash an excellent laptop?"
>
> Thank you! Just the discussion I was looking for. For future
> reference, hard drive passwords are implemented in the hard drive
> itself, and they will not respond at all until the correct password
> has been transmitted to them, nor will swapping boards allow them to
> work. Probably not proof against the NSA, but pretty good for us
> ordinary mortals.

You got it!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 10, 2004 8:25:40 AM

Hi
For those of us who are less computer savvy, how do we set a PW for the
HDD?
Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 10, 2004 9:28:04 AM

From the BIOS.

"How do I enter the BIOS, CMOS, Setup, or System Setup on my DellT
computer?"
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hi
> For those of us who are less computer savvy, how do we set a PW for the
> HDD?
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 10, 2004 5:40:54 PM

Ted Zieglar aka Rocky wrote:
> From the BIOS.
>
> "How do I enter the BIOS, CMOS, Setup, or System Setup on my DellT
> computer?"
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>

> Ted Zieglar
> formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
>
> <yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>For those of us who are less computer savvy, how do we set a PW for the
>>HDD?
>>Thanks

having just ordered my 5150 yesterday, I am trying to uncover all of the
support resources that I can. I have found a couple of forums, this
newsgroup a few web sites, and of course I have tried to sort through
the dell support site, So, this is a newbie question. How did you find
the above mentioned document?
(http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
)
Is there a searchable tech pubs section of Dell support that I keep
overlooking?

Any other helpful links woukld be appreciated.

jimc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 10, 2004 5:40:55 PM

The Dell web site has an enormous amount of support resources. The article I
cited came from Dell's Knowledge Base. Dell also has the Dell Community
Forums - which is an outstanding source of information - as well as
downloads, system documentation, software reinstall guides and much more.
Unfortunately, you have to do some hunting to find all this material, but
once you do find it just bookmark the address for easy reference. Several of
the expert contributors to the Dell Community Forums maintain their own web
sites for help with Dell computers (as well as some neat tweaks.)

Of course, the Internet has a virtually unlimited supply of support
resources. Some are terrific and others are full of bull. And every major
software and hardware vendor has their own support resources.

With all the excellent information out there, you'll rarely find a need to
call Dell technical support. That's why I've said that, for the most part,
calling Dell technical support is for the lazy or the loser.
--
Ted Zieglar
formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

"jim c" <ex99125b@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Ted Zieglar aka Rocky wrote:
> > From the BIOS.
> >
> > "How do I enter the BIOS, CMOS, Setup, or System Setup on my DellT
> > computer?"

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

> > Ted Zieglar
> > formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
> >
> > <yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi
> >>For those of us who are less computer savvy, how do we set a PW for the
> >>HDD?
> >>Thanks
> >>

> having just ordered my 5150 yesterday, I am trying to uncover all of the
> support resources that I can. I have found a couple of forums, this
> newsgroup a few web sites, and of course I have tried to sort through
> the dell support site, So, this is a newbie question. How did you find
> the above mentioned document?

(http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
n=1012573&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
> )
> Is there a searchable tech pubs section of Dell support that I keep
> overlooking?
>
> Any other helpful links woukld be appreciated.
>
> jimc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2004 8:26:52 AM

Thanks!
I have heard, though that fooling around with the BIOS if everything is
running smoothly can be problematic.
Are your security suggestions only for new computers then?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2004 12:34:55 PM

yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
>I have heard, though that fooling around with the BIOS if everything is
>running smoothly can be problematic.

Adding security settings isn't going to screw up your BIOS. Fiddling
with hardware and other device settings after Windoze knows where to
find things might get you in trouble, but adding a hard disk (and/or
BIOS) password isn't going to effect anything else.

[FWIW, and this isn't well documented, setting the BIOS PW and HDD PW
to the same thing will result in your only having to enter it once on
boot]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2004 3:25:59 PM

On my Dell (Inspiron 5150 bought in Oct last year) I press F2 right after
switching it on to get into the bios.
Go through several screens by pressing Alt-P till you get to a page headed
"System Security". If you can see something marked "Hard disk passwords"
then you can enable it and set a password by following onscreen
instructions.
Whatever you do, don't forget the password or you will be in BIG TROUBLE.
If you don't see this feature then you haven't got it. I understand this is
a recently introduced feature so older computers don't have it.
BTW, don't apologise for being less computer savvy. I've been using
computers since the late sixties and still class myself as a newbie.
Tony

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hi
> For those of us who are less computer savvy, how do we set a PW for the
> HDD?
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop