[V303] Disconnected destroyed level

Hi,

Playing Angband 3.0.3, I recall to the dungeon and zap my Rod of
Enlightenment. I'm on a destroyed level (that's the kind of level that
looks as if someone has cast a few Earthquakes in it). That not
uncommon. But I also see a destroyed area in the lowerleft corner of the
level that is not in any way connected to the rest of the level.

Does anybody know if this is WAD or a bug?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

replicant

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Playing Angband 3.0.3, I recall to the dungeon and zap my Rod of
> Enlightenment. I'm on a destroyed level (that's the kind of level
that
> looks as if someone has cast a few Earthquakes in it). That not
> uncommon. But I also see a destroyed area in the lowerleft corner of
the
> level that is not in any way connected to the rest of the level.
>
> Does anybody know if this is WAD or a bug?
>
> Best, Hugo
> --
> Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
> There is a puff of smoke!
>
> (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

IIRC, the dungeon generation routines are set up such that the dungeon
is usually fully connected, but it isn't guaranteed to be so.
Guaranteeing that each room is reachable from each other room is a
non-trivial problem, so to save computation, the generator never
actually checks. Because of the way it makes all the squiggly hallways
and doors out of rooms and so forth, the rooms usually are connected,
but it isn't actually guaranteed.

The code for making a destroyed dungeon is actually the same as the
code for casting a spell of destruction; it's exactly as if the level
was generated normally, and then, moments before you arrive, some other
adventurer went through the level and read Scrolls of *Destruction* at
a few random places. What probably happened is that there was a normal
room disconnected from the rest of the dungeon, and that location was
chosen to be destroyed in this manner. I don't think the disconnection
has anything to do with generating destroyed levels.

So, long story short - it's an oversight, but considered a small one
that would be hard to fix in the code. It's easier to delegate to you
the adventurer and your trusty digger to solve this problem.

Replicant wrote:
> So, long story short - it's an oversight, but considered a small one
> that would be hard to fix in the code. It's easier to delegate to you
> the adventurer and your trusty digger to solve this problem.

Unless you're a low level character without reliable tunneling yet.
Oangband's got a penchant for generating disconnected levels; features
such as vaults and destroyed areas, as well as Oangband's "interesting
rooms", make disconnection more likely (earthquake an area and walls may
block some of the former routes into it). Because Oangband "interesting
rooms" are common even at shallow dungeon levels, that variant raises
the odds you'll encounter a disconnection with a character that hasn't
yet got a high STR or a wand of stone to mud. This translates into the
occasional embarrassing early death by starvation, if you phase into a
disconnected area with no stairs before you've gotten recall or
tunneling ability, then run out of phase door without escaping that area.

In vanilla, this situation is far rarer, and lack of tunneling isn't
usually a serious problem for anyone. In NPP, on the other hand, failed
vault quests due to lack of tunneling have been known to occur. Always
have a digger or a wand of stone to mud before taking on a vault quest!
And scan the vault perimeter for permawalls if you have limited charges.
Find a granite wall where you can break in.

On 25 Mar 2005 15:49:36 -0800, Replicant wrote:

(snip)
>What probably happened is that there was a normal
>room disconnected from the rest of the dungeon, and that location was
>chosen to be destroyed in this manner. I don't think the disconnection
>has anything to do with generating destroyed levels.

Hi Replicant,

Ah, of course. I knew (from sourcediving) about the possibility of
disconnected rooms, but never experienced them. So when I saw the level,
this explanation didn't occur to me - I just assumed that one of the
destruction epicenters was chosen in a completely empty corner of the
level.

Thanks for your reply!

Best, Hugo