[Pos] problems getting it to fly on Linux

1) [minor] The installation instructions for Posband don't agree with
reality; there is no "configure" script.
2) font-gcu.prf causes an unreadable display (you *cannot* use characters
128-159 on a Unix system!)
3) A huge chunk of the intrinsics information on the 'C'haracter info
screen is invisible because the -gcu display routines only use the first
24 lines of the terminal.
4) When generating monster characters or viewing their 'C'haracter info,
stats above 18 are visually truncated because the -gcu display routines
only use the first 80 columns of the terminal.

Has anyone got fixes for any of this (telling me to use the X11 display
mode instead, or to play on Windows, is *not* an acceptable answer)?
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html

Martin Read wrote:
> Has anyone got fixes for any of this (telling me to use the X11 display
> mode instead, or to play on Windows, is *not* an acceptable answer)?

Is telling you to try the Windows version under Wine or VMWare an
acceptable answer? :)

On 2005-03-27 14:03:09, Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> 1) [minor] The installation instructions for Posband don't agree with
> reality; there is no "configure" script.

There is now :).

> 2) font-gcu.prf causes an unreadable display (you *cannot* use characters
> 128-159 on a Unix system!)

I wasn't aware of this. In Russian KOI8-R charset these chars
correspond to pseudographics. They worked fine until I upgraded
to Slackware 10 with ncurses 5.4. I took the fix from Vanilla, so
the proper way (ACS_CKBOARD) is used now.

> 3) A huge chunk of the intrinsics information on the 'C'haracter info
> screen is invisible because the -gcu display routines only use the first
> 24 lines of the terminal.

Well, there's bigscreen option.

> 4) When generating monster characters or viewing their 'C'haracter info,
> stats above 18 are visually truncated because the -gcu display routines
> only use the first 80 columns of the terminal.

3) and 4) are the same problems -- I had trouble squeezing all
'C' info on 80x24 screen, and ended with something like 100x37.
I've dealt with it now, at the expense of having four pages in
'C'.

> Has anyone got fixes for any of this (telling me to use the X11 display
> mode instead, or to play on Windows, is *not* an acceptable answer)?

All these bugs are fixed now. I can mail you a patch (0.9.9 isn't
ready yet).

--
Alexander Ulyanov, maintainer of PosBand roguelike
E-mail: posband_AT_earthsea_DOT_org Web: http://posband.earthsea.org/

Alexander Ulyanov <posband@earthsea.org> wrote:
>All these bugs are fixed now. I can mail you a patch (0.9.9 isn't
>ready yet).

That would be great, thanks!

Alexander Ulyanov wrote:

> > You're
> > better off with a pre-packaged binary supplied by your distro, but
if
> > you need to, look in the Makefile for your system and make sure you
> > uncomment the build instruction you want (gcu only in your case).
Or,
> > you could try the X11 or GTK version with -mgcu.
>
> Sorry? X11 and GTK with gcu?

Well, if one specifies -mgcu, it'll load up font-gcu.prf, which might
or might not help. This and leaving out -g ensures we bypass the
graphics tiles assignments in graf-whatever.prf, which was my point.

The unix stuff is rather a mess, so many toolkits and options. :-(

> I would recommend -mxaw, it's more easily configured. Stock -mgtk
> is rather broken, maybe I'll port it from ToME someday.

I'm working on a gtk2 backport right now. :)

So far I have gtk2 working right in ToME, using the new Pango rendering
system. I'm trying to get NPP angband to use gtk2 too. The main purpose
was to get unicode support, which will help people who use cyrillic (I
hope).

- Leon