Hello all. I'm looking for a laptop for gaming and general use. so far i havent found a laptop that matches my needs. thanks for any help.
1. What is your budget?
About 2500$ but the cheaper the better.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 and less. (or even bigger if its portable)
3. What screen resolution do you want?
at least 1440x900
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes. I play many games (now its fallout nv, but I like to play fps and rts too). I think medium settings is a realistic target. if not then low.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
programming mostly, watching an occasional movie
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 2 years, maybe more.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I dont like hp. as far as i know they have battery problems, I've had an hp laptop before (compaq nc6120) and the battery capacity went down to 30 minutes after a year of use. if its not an issue anymore then its ok.
also please bear in mind where i live, not all exotic brand are available here.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
1) The screen most be non-glossy. that's actually the hardest feature to find in a laptop. but if anyone an recommend a laptop with a glossy screen which is does not glare then it may be ok. what i mean is: glossy screens look like mirrors to me, i cant use them.
2) wieght: i intend to carry it on my back a lot so it most be not more the 2.5kg.
I mentioned my bad experience with hp at my original post. Does the Envy has the same battery problems?
the XPS15 isn't available anymore where I live. the only XPS i can find here is the studio XPS16 which is too bulky for me.
the Sony costs (for some unknown reason) 2 times more then any other laptop with similar specs, so I try to stay away from it for now.
also what about the screens? As far as I know all the models you mentioned ( including the Asus) are glossy. Am i wrong?
the XPS15 isn't available anymore where I live.
Which website do you use for Israel?
The screen can be a problem. For e.g. when i was choosing my laptop 4 years ago, Sony made the best screens (they called it x-black). Now i don't know. Also you need to check if it's full 1080p or if you're happy with 720p (and/or want more than 766pixels on the y-axis).
Maybe you could try something cheeky, note down the screen specs and check in-store to see what it means.
We use local etailers / retailers. But it doesn't really matter, as i can check the availability.
the g53 is a beast. but it weights 7.9lbs (3.5kg) which is too heavy, and it has a glossy screen.
I read some reviews of the envy and unfortunately it has a glossy screen.
I have some weird idea to solve the screen issue:
What if I buy a business laptop (Lenovo t400/t500, Dell Latitude or something else) with "professional" gpu (Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro)?
Can i play games on this thing?
Well,laptops with matte screen aren't widely available(compared to glossy ones)
And yes,you can play games on those cards but since they aren't built for gaming,they don't have as good as other card's driver support.
if i were you i would go with the HP Envy 17 1011nr
it cost around $1400,
but the specs seem to suite youtr requiremtents, the let down though, is the battery doesn't last a good 2.5 hours, unless you get the slice battery along with it.
if you want to invest 850 (930 including TAX) in a high performance computer, don't HESITAIT!
i have spent 4 months searching for a laptop, and i have to admit i couldn't be happier then this, i had been looking at the Envy 17 for a long time, but it was out of my budget, but this makes everything look so good!
i have to admit that i don't currently have it yet, it is to arrive the day AFTER christmas
but any way, this is going to be worth waiting for
i would encourage you guys to do it, because while i was debating with my parents about it, bestbuy removed it, probably because they sold out, but it's back, and it's your chance to get this pc, i found out that a mac comparible to this would cost 3500 dollars, totally a waste of money...
the reason that i was so encouraged to get it, was because it had a very nice cooling system to go along with the CPU and GPU, it has 2 fans, and a very good system to remove heat from the PC using the back, instead of the side, which i think is very good, because it keeps the computer from heating from lack of airflow, and it doesn't heat up the keyboard and ports themselves...
i hope you guys find what your looking for!