[announce] [OAngband 0.6.2] Oangband 0.6.2 source release

Hello,

After an embarassing long delay after a personal career change, I have
finally prepared new release of OAngband.

Great thanks to everyone who continued to provide valuable bug reports,
balance feedback, and suggestions while I was distracted.

The source code is available at www.oangband.com; a windows compile will
be up by the end of the week.

I have been slowly getting caught up on community/newsgroup discussions,
but I am still not sure if there is a current official FTP server to
upload to.

Specialties:
- Unlight now provides significant melee defense and ranged damage
reduction in dark areas. Increased stealth bonus in darkness.
Reduced stealth bonus in light.
- Evasion now provides a flat 1/3 miss chance for melee and 1/2 miss
chance for archery.
- Fast Casting now has a much greater effect on grossly out-leveled
spells (maxes out at 200% of base cast rate; was about 140%). No
change for moderately out-leveled spells.
- Fury now charges less from damage taken, but also charges when
attacking in melee.
- Heighten Magic is now a variable bonus that charges up as you cast
spells in rapid succession. Tops out above the old bonus.
- Extend Magic replaced by Enhance Magic. Increases both the
effects and durations of benefitial magic.
- Teleport Resistance replaced by Phasewalking. Still gives
resistance to hostile teleportation; also gives a short term speed
boost after teleporting.
- Holy Light melee damage boost is cumulative with all other brands
and slays. Now grants a damage boost vs evil, undead, and light-
sensitive targets. May cause fear in these creatures when the
player casts light-based spells.

Balance:
- Increased special attack frequency for Accuracy and Velocity
launchers, especially Velocity.
- Dramatically reduced the cost of archery:
Reduced the weight of all types of ammunition.
Increased the quantity of ammunition drops.
Reduced the base cost of all types of ammunition.
Reduced the price premium for enchanted and ego ammunition.
Increased the frequency of ammo with enhanced damage dice.
- Necromancer spells:
Reduced cost (21->16) of Dark Ball.
Reduced cost (25->22), increased damage (15%) of Orb of Death.
Increased damage (17%) of Strike at Life
Increased cost (7->8), level (13->14) of Dispel Evil.
- Throwing weapons:
Non-ego throwing weapons may drop with perfect balance.
Perfect balance is more common in ego weapons.
Ego throwing weapons which normally generate "extra" attributes
may be perfectly balanced instead.
Slightly increased damage dice of 'thanc daggers and Nimloth.
All throwing weapons may drop in small stacks; Most had their
rarity tweaked up to compensate.
- Reduced the damage scaling with caster level of Druid spells Molten
Lightning, Startburst, Trigger Tsunami. Slightly lower damage at
level 50 (2% - 7% depending on the spell).
- Removed the "Archer" flag from Master Rogues, Master Theives and
Warlords. Increased their base chance to make ranged attacks.
- Reduced the chances for weaker acid attacks to damage armor.
- Changed pack AI to be less abusable.

Misc:
- Updated ego item generation to use depth rarity tval and sval from
ego_item.txt; removed most of the hard coding related to ego items.
- Code cleaunp patches by Christer Nyfalt (removal of magic numbers).
- Added auto-more patch adapted by Serge Matveev.
- Added confirm for specialty ability selection.
- Added color to monster memory. The color scheme is a mix of those
from NNP and EyAngband, and some new stuff.
- Added autoconf support.

Bugs:
- Tons of minor bugs fixed.

Hi again,

I just added the windows compile for OAngband 0.6.2 to www.oangband.com.

--
Bahman Rabii

bahman wrote:
> - Reduced the damage scaling with caster level of Druid spells Molten
> Lightning, Startburst, Trigger Tsunami. Slightly lower damage at
> level 50 (2% - 7% depending on the spell).

I guess you think my druid win was too easy eh? ;)

> - Removed the "Archer" flag from Master Rogues, Master Theives and
> Warlords. Increased their base chance to make ranged attacks.

Oh, good. They were too damned dangerous. By the end of said druid game
I was terrified by only a few monsters. Storms of Unmagic topped the
list, followed by Great Wyrms of Power. But Master Thieves were third.
Quite fast, and liable to stun (even through sound resist, even though
it's a ranged attack). They tended to knock me to half HPs whilst making
me unable to reliably teleport them away in one round. Twice I thought I
was a goner only to (barely) survive one. They were the only things
besides high level dragon or hound pits and storms of unmagic to make me
*destruct* in the late game too. (The Wyrms I killed, after preparations
and the elimination of all other nearby enemies. Helped by decent
stealth and the legendary sleep-through-anything powers of dragons.

> - Changed pack AI to be less abusable.

Elaborate?

> - Tons of minor bugs fixed.

Is there a detailed listing of these fixes?

dominic

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2002

On 2005-03-29 06:13:59, Bahman Rabii <bahman@oangband.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I just added the windows compile for OAngband 0.6.2 to www.oangband.com.
>
> --
> Bahman Rabii

awesome. torsoboy 2005 here we go!

I played quite a bit the new version, and as i thought Evasion
is now a must pick for any class that has it, and extremely
powerful for a spec that works well with any combo of
armor and specs, really.
As it is now, it breaks a *LOT* of possible combos, both
ones using evasion and ones not using it (having Evasion
introduced to them), not to count it is much more
powerful than the other defensive specs.
Proposal: make it again dependent to str, dex and
armor weight, but affecting % evade instead of AC,
maybe improving its max % to evade melee / ranged
to 50%.

--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.

Atriel,

Thanks for the input.

I have considered your suggestion, and will consider it again. Another
options is to simply drop the effectiveness of Evasion in melee to about
20% (leaving the archery effect unchanged).

I am surprised you find it is less balanced than before, though.
Evasion had the potential to be far more overwhelming over most of the game.

- Bahman

Atriel wrote:
> I played quite a bit the new version, and as i thought Evasion
> is now a must pick for any class that has it, and extremely
> powerful for a spec that works well with any combo of
> armor and specs, really.
> As it is now, it breaks a *LOT* of possible combos, both
> ones using evasion and ones not using it (having Evasion
> introduced to them), not to count it is much more
> powerful than the other defensive specs.
> Proposal: make it again dependent to str, dex and
> armor weight, but affecting % evade instead of AC,
> maybe improving its max % to evade melee / ranged
> to 50%.

peter

On 2005-03-29 06:11:32, Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Oh, good. They were too damned dangerous. By the end of said druid game
> I was terrified by only a few monsters. Storms of Unmagic topped the
> list, followed by Great Wyrms of Power. But Master Thieves were third.
> Quite fast, and liable to stun (even through sound resist, even though
> it's a ranged attack). They tended to knock me to half HPs whilst making
> me unable to reliably teleport them away in one round. Twice I thought I
> was a goner only to (barely) survive one. They were the only things
> besides high level dragon or hound pits and storms of unmagic to make me
> *destruct* in the late game too. (The Wyrms I killed, after preparations
> and the elimination of all other nearby enemies. Helped by decent
> stealth and the legendary sleep-through-anything powers of dragons.

Reminds me...anyone can tell me how is it possible to survive few GWoPs with
warrior character ?
I did manage twice to get a warrior to high level only to be killed by 1)GWoP,
2)Balrog....both tunneling, so it makes ASC unusable....
Any help please ?...I'm now trying to play another warrior....so any ideas can
prevent YASD of (hopefully...) high level char....

Cheers,
Peter.

Peter wrote:
> Reminds me...anyone can tell me how is it possible to survive few GWoPs with
> warrior character ?

Resists, HPs, ASC (it'll tunnel so there'll be room for 1 summon), lots
of zigzag nearby, hope something weak is summoned and phase or teleport
if something strong is summoned. Have healing potions and a big-dice
xdragon weapon. Better yet, avoid them entirely with a warrior, who will
never have a 0% fail teleport other capability for zapping away strong
summons.

Peter wrote:

> Reminds me...anyone can tell me how is it possible to survive few GWoPs with
> warrior character ?
> I did manage twice to get a warrior to high level only to be killed by 1)GWoP,
> 2)Balrog....both tunneling, so it makes ASC unusable....
> Any help please ?...I'm now trying to play another warrior....so any ideas can
> prevent YASD of (hopefully...) high level char....

The AI for summoning is deliberately not as brutal as it might be. In
particular monsters often do not bother summoning if you have only one
or two free spaces near you.

While you generally can not set up a true ASC versus tunnelers, you can
often find a position at which they will be unlikely to summon. Fewer
neighboring spaces means that even if there is an unlucky summon, you
are more likely to get the spaces clogged with ignorable monsters.

Try to fight monsters like this in otherwise cleared levels so you can
port out and reposition if needed.

There are a few creatures of which I tend to only kill one as a Morgoth
readiness test: GWoP, Aether Hound, Storm of Unmagic. Balrogs are more
a of a mixed bag - they are a LOT less scary if you have immune fire.
Even a reliable form of double resistance goes a long way.

- Bahman

peter

On 2005-03-29 18:52:35, bahman <bahman@oangband.com> wrote:

> The AI for summoning is deliberately not as brutal as it might be. In
> particular monsters often do not bother summoning if you have only one
> or two free spaces near you.
>
> While you generally can not set up a true ASC versus tunnelers, you can
> often find a position at which they will be unlikely to summon. Fewer
> neighboring spaces means that even if there is an unlucky summon, you
> are more likely to get the spaces clogged with ignorable monsters.
>
> Try to fight monsters like this in otherwise cleared levels so you can
> port out and reposition if needed.
>
> There are a few creatures of which I tend to only kill one as a Morgoth
> readiness test: GWoP, Aether Hound, Storm of Unmagic. Balrogs are more
> a of a mixed bag - they are a LOT less scary if you have immune fire.
> Even a reliable form of double resistance goes a long way.
>
> - Bahman

Oangband and Sangband are my favourites variants, but I only managed to win the
latter. In fact Morgoth in S seems easier then couple of GWoPs... tunneling
monsters leave rubble after them, affecting LOS. In fact this makes warriors
much more playable at high levels...

In O I'm still fascinated by monk-type, lightly armored evasion warrior,
although it's much changed in 0.6.2. As Atriel wrote, now Evasion can be used
efficiently even by a heavily armored characted. So my favourite type is not
quite possible now...hope you'll find another way of implementing Evasion. My
idea is - if you insist on fixed chance of dodging, make it possible only to
very lightly armored characters (maximum weight depending on
level...?...although it can be fixed too). To balance that add a small chance
to dodge *ALL* attacks (even breaths, spells...). Breaths are much worse to
such character (lack of important resists) than
summoning.

Now back to play my troll warrior...:)....

Cheers.
Peter.

Peter <KasperskiP@acn.waw.pl> writes:

> In O I'm still fascinated by monk-type, lightly armored evasion warrior,
> although it's much changed in 0.6.2. As Atriel wrote, now Evasion can be used
> efficiently even by a heavily armored characted. So my favourite type is not
> quite possible now...hope you'll find another way of implementing Evasion. My
> idea is - if you insist on fixed chance of dodging, make it possible only to
> very lightly armored characters (maximum weight depending on

I was thinking along these lines. The variable bonus is quite
difficult to balance, especially if it involves stats which tend to go
up fairly suddenly, even with Oangband's broad stat-gain period.

A hard cutoff based purely on armor weight, with a small slide for
level, is a real possibility. I am torn between having a single hard
cutoff and having two cutoffs such as 40% evasion, 20% evasion, no
evasion, (doubled vs archery).

> level...?...although it can be fixed too). To balance that add a small chance
> to dodge *ALL* attacks (even breaths, spells...). Breaths are much worse to
> such character (lack of important resists) than
> summoning.

This is not as appealing, and does not solve the problem anyway. A
chance to dodge breaths does nothing to the critical number: the max
damage you might take in a round.

--
Bahman Rabii

peter

On 2005-03-29 21:41:12, Bahman Rabii <bahman@oangband.com> wrote:

> A hard cutoff based purely on armor weight, with a small slide for
> level, is a real possibility. I am torn between having a single hard
> cutoff and having two cutoffs such as 40% evasion, 20% evasion, no
> evasion, (doubled vs archery).

Second one sounds very good to me.

> > level...?...although it can be fixed too). To balance that add a small chance
> > to dodge *ALL* attacks (even breaths, spells...). Breaths are much worse to
> > such character (lack of important resists) than
> > summoning.
>
> This is not as appealing, and does not solve the problem anyway. A
> chance to dodge breaths does nothing to the critical number: the max
> damage you might take in a round.

You are right, but, as for me, this leads to implementation of percental
resists, and Evasion as one of the factors (like a small chance to avoid attack
completely, otherwise adds something to resistance). And this will be a major
change...although maybe a good one...?...if possible....

> --
> Bahman Rabii

Cheers,
Peter.

On further reflection, I *really* want to get the Evasion issue
settled sooner than later. I will be releasing a 0.6.2b with tweaks
to Evasion, a couple of new items, and fixes to any bug I hear about
soon.

--
Bahman Rabii

> After an embarassing long delay after a personal career change, I have
> finally prepared new release of OAngband.

Welcome back!

> I have been slowly getting caught up on community/newsgroup discussions,
> but I am still not sure if there is a current official FTP server to
> upload to.

You just e-mail the files to:

ftp@thangorodrim.net

--
-Jeff

replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply

Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

I think you are going the right way the way you implemented
Evasion so that it evades completely an attack...

Evasion was cool before not because it was very powerful...
it was powerful, but few people knew how to use it and
it made item choices very limited, and this is fun, playing
focusing in an entire different set of items to make a different
and efficient melee character with a lot of weaknesses and
giveups to strenghten another facet.

Here´s a way i was thinking to fix Evasion, and
i am sure there are plenty of people that want to use light
armored characters.
The formula would be very similar to
the earlier evasion version, but affecting only
% evade, and not AC.
As it will not affect AC, it´s obvious that the evasive light-armored
character WILL take huge hits when evasion doesn´t kick in.

Like the ogre that hits the ninja that couldn´t evade. The ninja
will take more damage than the ironman dwarf with Armor Mastery
and heavy armor, but will be hit less.

The only thing that would need to be balanced after this are
maximum evasion bonuses to melee and ranged.

Formula would be something like this:

Evasion Bonus = Maximum Evasion Bonus * (DEX/MAXDEX) *
(CLEV/50) * (old Weightlimit STR based factor here)

So that the maximum evasion bonus would be reached by
a clvl 50 char with max STR, max DEX and less than 15 lbs of
armor. (in the spoiler 18/200 str = 30 lbs weightlimit...)
It would still be weaker than before against melee, just because
the increased damage taken by a limited AC setup, and still
restore the strategic thinking of old evasion.

Hope i´ve helped :)
--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
I won't change direction and I won't change my mind...
How much difference does it make?

Yep.

The formula I am using is slightly different, but this is the general
idea.

- Bahman

Atriel <atriel666@hotmail.com> writes:

> I think you are going the right way the way you implemented
> Evasion so that it evades completely an attack...
>
> Evasion was cool before not because it was very powerful...
> it was powerful, but few people knew how to use it and
> it made item choices very limited, and this is fun, playing
> focusing in an entire different set of items to make a different
> and efficient melee character with a lot of weaknesses and
> giveups to strenghten another facet.
>
> Here´s a way i was thinking to fix Evasion, and
> i am sure there are plenty of people that want to use light
> armored characters.
> The formula would be very similar to
> the earlier evasion version, but affecting only
> % evade, and not AC.
> As it will not affect AC, it´s obvious that the evasive light-armored
> character WILL take huge hits when evasion doesn´t kick in.
>
> Like the ogre that hits the ninja that couldn´t evade. The ninja
> will take more damage than the ironman dwarf with Armor Mastery
> and heavy armor, but will be hit less.
>
> The only thing that would need to be balanced after this are
> maximum evasion bonuses to melee and ranged.
>
> Formula would be something like this:
>
> Evasion Bonus = Maximum Evasion Bonus * (DEX/MAXDEX) *
> (CLEV/50) * (old Weightlimit STR based factor here)
>
> So that the maximum evasion bonus would be reached by
> a clvl 50 char with max STR, max DEX and less than 15 lbs of
> armor. (in the spoiler 18/200 str = 30 lbs weightlimit...)
> It would still be weaker than before against melee, just because
> the increased damage taken by a limited AC setup, and still
> restore the strategic thinking of old evasion.
>
> Hope i´ve helped :)
> --
> I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
> I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
> I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
> I won't change direction and I won't change my mind...
> How much difference does it make?

--
Bahman Rabii

Hm... I think maximum evasion value do not even have to be
messed for now if you use a formula like this.
Oh, a request... if possible, make it so that the squelcher
automatically squelchs an item set to (all but artifacts)
without the need of identify or pseudo... Artifacts
wont be destroyed anyway, so no need for that :)
And i don´t need at all missiles with a paladin :)