Jun 1, 2012
I'm looking at a 24" Acer LED Monitor vs. a 24" Toshiba LED TV. They both have:

- 1920 x 1080 max resolution
- 60 ghz screen refresh rate

However the computer monitor specs include things like:

- 5ms response time
- 250nit brightness
- 100,000,000:1 contrast ratio

Will the computer monitor have clearer resolution? If I get the TV I will have to go DVI from computer to HDMI into TV, whereas the computer monitor will be a DVI to DVI connection.

I like the television because I edit video and I'll be able to playback the edited footage to a client on the TV quickly. (Clients like when I play back on a TV as opposed to a computer monitor) Also I can watch TV. However, I want the product with better resolution.

60 gigahertz would be an impressive refresh rate, but I'm guessing that was just a typo. :D

The response time and contrast ratio are 99% marketing BS, but what does the TV give for brightness? Also, does it give viewing angles (which might be a clue as to the panel type)?

A few years ago I used a 1366x768 TV as a substitute monitor while my regular monitor was in for repairs, and found it didn't really work well as a computer monitor. However, I think recent 1920x1080 TVs should work fine as monitors, and should have about the same text readability. In fact, there might even be a monitor that uses the exact same panel internally that the TV uses (for that size; screens bigger than 30 inches diagonal are almost always sold as TVs rather than monitors). The line between monitors and TVs has become very blurry - just about any TV sold now will have HDMI input, which is easy to connect a computer to, and there are some monitors, such as the Samsung P2770HD, that have TV tuners built in.

luqchu

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
You're correct. Typo. They both have a 60hz refresh rate.

Here are the viewing angles with more detailed specs:

TV Viewing angle: 178 degrees
Computer Monitor vertical viewing angle: 160 degrees
Computer Monitor horizontal angle: 170 degrees

TV Specs -

Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Display Format: 1080p (FullHD)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 20000:1
Image Contrast Ratio: 5000:1
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Response Time: 8 ms
Technology: TFT active matrix
Type: LED-backlit LCD TV

Monitor Specs -

Color Support: 16.7 million colors
LCD Backlight Technology: WLED backlight
Projector Image Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 100000000:1
Response Time: 5 ms
Technology: TFT active matrix
Type: LCD display , LED-backlit LCD monitor
Video Format: 1080p (FullHD)
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080

They seem very similar and mauveclouds account makes me lean towards the TV. However, I'm wary of the DVI (computer) to HDMI (tv) connection as opposed to DVI to DVI.

The 5000:1 "image contrast ratio" is probably exaggerated (though not as much as the dynamic contrast ratio of the monitor, I would guess), but that along with the viewing angles suggests that the TV is an AMVA panel, which in general has better color accuracy and static contrast than the TN panel of the monitor, though possibly a little more motion blur.

I see no reason to be wary of DVI to HDMI - they're both digital signals, and they have a high degree of compatibility. DVI usually doesn't carry the audio that HDMI can, but there are often ways around that.