Steamband - Bug Report

replicant

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003

*sings* Like a bu-ug... overrrrr... troubled... coding...

Major Bugs
- Many spells and some artifact activations ask for a target and
generate a lingering effect at that point, e.g., Sphere of Flame, the
artifacts pants, etc. However, they will generate the effect no matter
where you pick as a target - even if the location is out of your sight
or even completely across the map. This means that you can telekill
monsters on one side of the map while you are on the other side.
- Activating the Ring of Edison sometimes crashes the game. Since
Edison has random effects, I'm not sure what exactly was the problem,
but I had the game freeze after I activated it once. It drew the arcs
of *'s for the teleport-away field, then froze with the *'s still on
the screen.

Minor Bugs
- The Cloak of Nemo does not have an activation implemented, but you
can still select it if you hit 'A.' You get the "This artifact does
not have an activation" message from cmd-item.c.
- There is no "break;" line after the activation of the jacket of John
Bell, so it falls through to the activation of Tom Sawyer's jacket.

Gameplay / Balance
- Activatable counterattacks (Officer, Hussar, and ninja-Rogue class
powers) aren't very useful. Counterattacks only activate if you're
hit; if you just attack a monster normally, you're guaranteed 1 melee
round. Preparing to counterattack can be a useful strategy if you're
surrounded by several monsters that are very likely to beat on you...
but if you're surrounded by several monsters that are very likely to
beat on you, teleporting away is usually a *much better* strategy. It
would probably be better if either a) the counterattack shield lasted
for more than 1 normal-time player turn or b) weapon counterattacks
were split off into a separate skill the way the martial arts
countering skill works.
- The Officer's Stunning Blow doesn't seem very useful. It costs way
too much to use in the early game, and doesn't seem to be effective
very often.
- The Officer's Knockdown skill isn't useful. It just duplicates
Stunning Blow, except at the cost of skillpoints rather than mana.
Since mana is much cheaper, there's no reason to pay for Knockdown.

valis

In article <1112158794.503432.309780@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Replicant" <replicant@houston.rr.com> wrote:

> *sings* Like a bu-ug... overrrrr... troubled... coding...
>
> Major Bugs
> - Many spells and some artifact activations ask for a target and
> generate a lingering effect at that point, e.g., Sphere of Flame, the
> artifacts pants, etc. However, they will generate the effect no matter
> where you pick as a target - even if the location is out of your sight
> or even completely across the map. This means that you can telekill
> monsters on one side of the map while you are on the other side.
> - Activating the Ring of Edison sometimes crashes the game. Since
> Edison has random effects, I'm not sure what exactly was the problem,
> but I had the game freeze after I activated it once. It drew the arcs
> of *'s for the teleport-away field, then froze with the *'s still on
> the screen.
>
> Minor Bugs
> - The Cloak of Nemo does not have an activation implemented, but you
> can still select it if you hit 'A.' You get the "This artifact does
> not have an activation" message from cmd-item.c.
> - There is no "break;" line after the activation of the jacket of John
> Bell, so it falls through to the activation of Tom Sawyer's jacket.
>
> Gameplay / Balance
> - Activatable counterattacks (Officer, Hussar, and ninja-Rogue class
> powers) aren't very useful. Counterattacks only activate if you're
> hit; if you just attack a monster normally, you're guaranteed 1 melee
> round. Preparing to counterattack can be a useful strategy if you're
> surrounded by several monsters that are very likely to beat on you...
> but if you're surrounded by several monsters that are very likely to
> beat on you, teleporting away is usually a *much better* strategy. It
> would probably be better if either a) the counterattack shield lasted
> for more than 1 normal-time player turn or b) weapon counterattacks
> were split off into a separate skill the way the martial arts
> countering skill works.
> - The Officer's Stunning Blow doesn't seem very useful. It costs way
> too much to use in the early game, and doesn't seem to be effective
> very often.
> - The Officer's Knockdown skill isn't useful. It just duplicates
> Stunning Blow, except at the cost of skillpoints rather than mana.
> Since mana is much cheaper, there's no reason to pay for Knockdown.

keep 'em coming
-campbell

replicant

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003

VALIS wrote:
> keep 'em coming
> -campbell

One more:

- When the player takes damage from being in poor health, heavy wounds
hurt less than light wounds. This is from dungeon.c, where there is a
fate roll. For example, if fate is greater than 0 but less than 10,
the player takes damage equal to 10% of their max hp, but if fate is
greater than 70, they take damage equal to only 2% of their max hp.
This tends to make light wounds disproportionately dangerous if they're
just bad enough to give you nasty effects. The code should probably
deal high damage for high fate and low damage for low fate, rather than
the other way around.