cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a TB-800 not OCed and my CPU temp is hovering between 40-42C at idle. I am using a Globalwin FOP32 cooler and Arctic Silver thermal compound. I have plenty of ventilation in my case (the temp doesn't drop when I remove the side panel). I figured that my temp should be lower than this judging by what others have reported. Could it be that I have too thin or too thick a layer of Artic Silver. Also, which way is the CPU fan supposed to be blowing. The label on the fan is pointing away from the CPU but I could swear I feel air blowing out the sides of the heat sink. Sorry I'm so wordy. Thanks for your help in advance.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No, it is not likely your coating is too thin. The idea is to fill gaps and pores in the two surface but you still want surface to surface, metal to metal contact. If you have TOO MUCH material you will loose effeciency.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Starting with the 1004 bios, Asus put something in the bios that makes the CPU work constantly. Even though a cpu may not be in use by the user, it is still working and this keeps the temp higher than other boards.
You could also use the 1003 or earlier bios to get temps that would be similar to the Abit board (in the low 30s)
This can be reproduced by simply flashing between the different bios versions.

Also, if you read HSF reviews, they are never done on an A7V. This is not because it is a crappy board or because the KT7 is better, its because the A7V has hotter temps by default and using the KT7 makes the HSF review numbers look better.

This problem can also be fixed by altering the bios. There are instructions how to do this at the site I have listed below. However, this fix causes many more stability problems.

I look forward to an Asus A7V bios that keeps the temps low at the levels of other boards with equal processor, equal clock speeds, and equal cooling and still has all the fixes that the newer bios versions have.

You can read all about it on this page:

http://members.tripod.de/Juggernaut/

G

I have an Asus A7V, and with my 1 GHz Athlon, the peak temperature is around 50 C.

I don't know what the idle temperature is though. During some problems I had with an AGP Driver from the 4.25a drivers, I had e-mailed AMD to see if perhaps I had a heat problem. I was told that the processor is rated to still be able to run at temperatures up to 90 C :\

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A peak of 50C isn't bad, mine is probably the same after really heavy gaming.
However, there are people out there with equivalant cooling to mine and are reporting a peak temp of only 37-40C. They are using different motherboards.

But I still wouldn't trade may A7V for anything.