Is my XPS-T500 upgradeable? (Help a Newbie)

I have a Dell Dimension XPS-T500 computer that's about 5 years old. I
was wondering if I could upgrade my PIII 500 processor to say a 800 MHz
one. I lost the documentation my computer came with and I'm not sure
about the Board specs. What do I do?

More than you need can be found here: http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/

For the cost of upgrading the processor, I doubt you will be happy with it
unless you do relatively mundane chores. If that is the case, your 500MHz is
probably fine as it is. You will have bottlenecks greater than processor
speed, such as the AGP speed and the FSB of 100 MHz.

I have a T series that I upgraded to a 1GHz processor a few years ago. I
wouldn't do it now.

"Jose Jose" <elporro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dimension XPS-T500 computer that's about 5 years old. I
> was wondering if I could upgrade my PIII 500 processor to say a 800 MHz
> one. I lost the documentation my computer came with and I'm not sure
> about the Board specs. What do I do?

the computer has two major limitations; maximum memory and buss speed. the
maximum memory that can be installed is 768mb via three sticks of 256mb.
the correct type of memory for this system is very expensive at about $100
for a 256mb stick. alternatively you can get 128mb modules for as little as
$20 after rebate if you catch a sale. but that would only yield you 384mb
total. as for bus speed, this system is limited to working with processors
that have a maximum bus speed of 100Mhz. you could put up to a 1.4ghz
celeron processor into the system. powerleap.com has it for about $125 the
last time i looked. but between the cost of upgrading the memory and the
processor your money is much better put towards the purchase of an entirely
new system. however, if you have at least 256mb of ram and 20gb of hard
disk then you may want to install windows xp on this system for a much
better overall experience than you are probably getting out of windows 98.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> the computer has two major limitations; maximum memory and buss speed. the
> maximum memory that can be installed is 768mb via three sticks of 256mb.
> the correct type of memory for this system is very expensive at about $100
> for a 256mb stick. alternatively you can get 128mb modules for as little as
> $20 after rebate if you catch a sale. but that would only yield you 384mb
> total. as for bus speed, this system is limited to working with processors
> that have a maximum bus speed of 100Mhz. you could put up to a 1.4ghz
> celeron processor into the system. powerleap.com has it for about $125 the
> last time i looked. but between the cost of upgrading the memory and the
> processor your money is much better put towards the purchase of an entirely
> new system. however, if you have at least 256mb of ram and 20gb of hard
> disk then you may want to install windows xp on this system for a much
> better overall experience than you are probably getting out of windows 98.
>
> "Jose Jose" <elporro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Dell Dimension XPS-T500 computer that's about 5 years old. I
>>was wondering if I could upgrade my PIII 500 processor to say a 800 MHz
>>one. I lost the documentation my computer came with and I'm not sure
>>about the Board specs. What do I do?

Thanks for your help. I downloaded a trial version of SiSoft Sandra and
it gave me the specs I needed. You are right the max bus speed my
motherboard (Intel SE440BX-3) can support is 100 Mhz. I'm seriously
thinking about getting another computer in the near future. Right now
what I want to do is increase memory a bit to install Win XP. The 256 mb
DIMMS for my computer are dificult to find or too expensive, compared to
new memory. I found a Website that sells 128 DIMMs for a good price so
I'm gonna step up to 386 MB.

About the CPU, I just wanted to know if it was upgradeable because a
friend of mine that got good a deal on ebay for a 800 MHz PIII. I was
going to do the same if my MBoard is upgradeable. I discovered it can
support faster CPU's if I upgraded my bios from my current version A05
to A09. The problem is that Dell's website only has one update,version
A11. I tried to upgrade it, but it doesn't want to. Now the question is
how do I get the file to upgrade to at least version A09?

piii processors can have either a 100 or a 133 front side bus speed (fsb).
i don't think that the 800mhz was made with a 100fsb and so assume that it
is 133 (you can look up your exact model number on intel.com to find out).
if your 800mhz processor has a 133mhz front bus speed then it has a fixed
multiplier of 6 (800/133=6) and so when you stick it into a machine that
only supports a 100mhz fsb it will only run with an internal speed of 600mhz
instead of the rated 800mhz. that makes it not worth the effort. you would
be better off buying the powerleap upgrade for about $100 with the newer
type celeron 1.4ghz which has a 100mhz fsb (older socket 370 celerons had
66Mhz fsb)... but keep in mind that spending $100 on memory and $100 on
this processor upgrade and possible $100 on a new hard drive is a big price
tag to pay when you consider that dell had a p4
2.7/128mb/80gb/cdrw/17"crt/winxp home/keyboard/mouse/free shipping for $350
after the $100 rebate. that deal may be over but it comes around
frequently...