Competition 30 ready

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2005 3:26:21 PM

Hello All,

Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.

Tony
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

More about : competition ready

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:26:07 AM

On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>
>Tony
>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
am I mistaken?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:26:08 AM

Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>>
>>Tony
>>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> am I mistaken?
>
> Best, Hugo

I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.

Eddie
April 1, 2005 3:26:09 AM

"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
> Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:
>
> > On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
> >
> >>Hello All,
> >>
> >>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> >>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
> >>
> >>Tony
> >>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
> >
> > I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> > Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> > am I mistaken?
> >
> > Best, Hugo
>
> I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
> that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
> or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.

Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
to change that.

-Jeff
April 1, 2005 6:41:50 AM

Right! Where do I get a Linux version of NPP? What, you mean I have to
compile it??

CC
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:19:25 AM

> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>
> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>
> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
options
> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>
> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
> restrictions.
>
> Timo Pietilä

If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
(about 8pm tonight London time).

Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the savefile.
So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise this
new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
already.

Sorry for the false start to the competition.

Tony
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:14:11 PM

<avh@softalk.ws> wrote in message

> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>
> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>
> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
options
> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>
> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
> restrictions.
>
> Timo Pietilä

>If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
>(about 8pm tonight London time).

>Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
>source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the >savefile.
>So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise >this
>new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
>already.

FYI: I e-mailed to you and Timo the competition savefile with the
birth_no_quests & adult_no_quests option turned on. You should just have to
upload it.

-Jeff
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:28:13 PM

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>>
>>Tony
>>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> am I mistaken?

Problem was that I submitted my savefile before that option was
possible. Maybe I should submit another? My bad. I totally forgot to
update that savefile with newer version.

Timo Pietilä
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:28:13 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:10:50 -0500, "Jeff Greene"
<nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

>"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

>> > I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
>> > Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
>> > am I mistaken?
>> >
>> > Best, Hugo
>>
>> I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
>> that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
>> or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>>

>Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
>to change that.

Hi Jeff,

I guess that's up to Timo - it's HIS challenge, after all!

Anyway, I think I have the ability to constrain myself - with quests
enabled, you can still decide never to take one. And if I do take one,
Tony will be able to see it in the savefile. But it would be nice to
clarify if quests are forbidden or not in this competition, so that
we're all playing the same challenge.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:29:49 PM

Jeff Greene wrote:
> "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

>>>I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
>>>Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
>>>am I mistaken?
>>
>>I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
>>that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
>>or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>
> Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
> to change that.

Which is faster :-). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
as I get home.

Timo Pietilä
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:29:50 PM

"Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote in message
news:D 2j0pt$pnt$2@oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
> Jeff Greene wrote:
> > "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message

> >>I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
> >>that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
> >>or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
> >
> > Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all
want me
> > to change that.
>
> Which is faster :-). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
> as I get home.

Both are quick.....Except I think what will decide it is what time zone in
the world we live in. Since it is early morning here & I am about to head
to work & in Finland you are much closer to being done with work you will
probably get it done first.

I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth options
you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?

-Jeff
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 6:11:57 PM

magnate wrote:
> Right! Where do I get a Linux version of NPP? What, you mean I have to
> compile it??
>
> CC

Compiling is not that hard if your Linux is well-configured
(as a normal installation of any major distro like Fedora,
Debian or SuSe should be). Quick-and-dirty single-user install:

Download the source archive to some directory, here we assume it
is ~/nppangband/

On a terminal, as normal user, give the following commands:

cd ~/nppangband
unzip NPPAng<tab> (use tab to complete the file/dirnames)
cd NPPAng<tab> (and select proper completion)
cd src
make -f Makefile.std
cp angband ..
cd ..
../angband -- -n3 & (I play with 3 terminals)

This works for almost any variant - I have used this on Vanilla, Steam,
Heng, NPP, Pos, ToME, S, O and Z. Sometimes you have to use tar -xvf,
(maybe add j or z to options), to extract the source archive and of
course names of files are different.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:19:57 PM

Jeff Greene wrote:
> "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote in message
> news:D 2j0pt$pnt$2@oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
>
>>Jeff Greene wrote:
>>
>>>"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message

>>>Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all
>
> want me
>
>>>to change that.
>>
>>Which is faster :-). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
>>as I get home.
>
> Both are quick.....Except I think what will decide it is what time zone in
> the world we live in. Since it is early morning here & I am about to head
> to work & in Finland you are much closer to being done with work you will
> probably get it done first.

Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?

Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.

> I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth options
> you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?

No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
restrictions.

Timo Pietilä
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:27:33 PM

On 1 Apr 2005 05:19:25 -0800, avh@softalk.ws wrote:

>> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>>
>> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
>> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>>
>> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
>options
>> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>>
>> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
>> restrictions.
>>
>> Timo Pietilä
>
>If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
>(about 8pm tonight London time).
>
>Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
>source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the savefile.
>So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise this
>new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
>already.
>
>Sorry for the false start to the competition.
>
>Tony

Hi Tony,

Is it okay to start playing with the current savefile, but without
taking abny quests, or should I suicide my current character (only at
DLvl 3, so no big loss) and wait for the updated savefile?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:43:49 AM

On 31 Mar 2005 as I do recall,
Tony Holmes wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>
> Tony
> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband...
for competition-playing purposes. :-)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:15:27 AM

Tony holmes wrote:

Competition 30 is now ready for download: timo's NPPAngband 0.4.1
Hobbit rogue.

OK, I finally got the latest OSX build working, but it refuses to open
the save file. It still is able to open save files from the previous
0.4.1 NPP version I was running. Is there anything I need to do to
open the new file? (It's showing up greyed out in the files list.)
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:39:02 AM

On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2005 as I do recall,
> Tony Holmes wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> > Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
> >
> > Tony
> > http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband...
> for competition-playing purposes. :-)

Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
(Same as on 0.4.0 version.)

Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:36:00 AM

On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

Corrupt save file.

(real version is only 44144 bytes!)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Equal bytes for women.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:35:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband,comp.sys.acorn.misc (More info?)

In message <3f628b574d.harriet@freeuk.com>
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
> Harriet Bazley wrote:

> > There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband...
> > for competition-playing purposes. :-)
> >
> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

I get a file size of 44144 bytes about one third of your file size.
I have not checked tht CRC. I suspect a problem with you downloading
the comp file. What browser are you using?

!netsurf seems to think that tthis is a html file, and your browser may
be doing something similar.

[save file sent via email]
[cross post to csa.misc and r.g.r.angband]

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

I wrote:
> 0.4.1 NPP version I was running. Is there anything I need to do to
> open the new file [on OS X]? (It's showing up greyed out in the files
list.)

I moved this to a more appropriate bug report thread.

Short answer: you are out of luck playing NPP competition savefiles on
OSX without patching the UI. I'll give it a go to learn a little OS X
UI, though doubtless Rob Ruehlmann will be quicker.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 10:26:18 AM

"Harriet Bazley" <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>

> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

This message is probably caused by the player game notes not being read
properly. In the savefile, right before a check on the number of monster
races, it writes the notes file, and when loading a savefile it copies the
notes to a temporary file. If the game doesn't read the end of the notes
file properly, it probably next reads a garbage number for the number of
monster races, and gives you that error. It works on all other OSs, but I
guess RISC OS doesn't like the way the notes file is saved. I don't know
how I could de-bug this since I don't have access to a RISC OS computer.

If you generate a normal character yourself, does it read a normal savefile
correctly? It may be that the savefile was done in Windows, but other OSs
do not like how Windows writes the termination to the notes file. That
could be why the other OSs are having trouble reading the competition
savefile.

-Jeff
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:15:17 PM

Jeff Greene wrote:
> If you generate a normal character yourself, does it read a normal savefile
> correctly? It may be that the savefile was done in Windows, but other OSs
> do not like how Windows writes the termination to the notes file. That
> could be why the other OSs are having trouble reading the competition
> savefile.

I thought *band savefiles were stored in a platform-independent format?
Savefiles originating on Windows should be no different from savefiles
originating on RiscOS.

April 7, 2005 2:32:49 PM

"Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> writes:

> "Harriet Bazley" <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote in message
>> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
>> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>>

>> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
>> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
>> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>>
>> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC
>>
> This message is probably caused by the player game notes not being read
> properly.

You must have missed, upthread, the fact that this file is roughly
three times as large as it should be.

I have had to <shift>-click to download on Tony's site on previous
comps; simply clicking downloaded something unuseable.

Eddie
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 6:01:58 PM

Is it considered cheating to disable auto-scum? In NPP autoscum is
just brutal, and I generally avoid it.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:21:15 PM

Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>> I have had to <shift>-click to download on Tony's site on previous
>> comps; simply clicking downloaded something unuseable.
>
> That's really weird. Then again, maybe it's IE being broken -- does
> the problem occur in firefox? ISTR some versions of IE ignore the mime
> type of a file and assume it's text/html if it's an unregistered
> extension (not associated with an application on your machine).

Actually, I'm using Mozilla, but other people have had problems too.
Also, I have had problems where when he changes the page my browser
doesn't figure out that the cache needs a refresh, so there is more
than one kind of weirdness going on.

Eddie
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 9:36:26 PM

Eddie Grove wrote:
> I have had to <shift>-click to download on Tony's site on previous
> comps; simply clicking downloaded something unuseable.

That's really weird. Then again, maybe it's IE being broken -- does the
problem occur in firefox? ISTR some versions of IE ignore the mime type
of a file and assume it's text/html if it's an unregistered extension
(not associated with an application on your machine).

April 8, 2005 1:06:37 AM

Twisted One wrote:

> It sounds like the http headers it generates have a)
> incorrect mime types and b) incorrect time stamps for at least some
> files some of the time.

Nope:

sherm$ curl --head
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:57:59 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
Last-Modified: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:28:27 GMT
ETag: "16cad20-d2add-4253b9cb"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

There you go - content type "application/zip", Last-Modified looks
right, and when I download it the file comes out the right size.

> leads me to suspect IIS.

Suspect, schmuspect. Why guess when you can know?

<http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=homepage.ntlw...;

And the verdict is... Apache 1.3.26 on Solaris.

Neo, do you have anything useful to say?

sherm--

April 8, 2005 1:27:04 AM

Enough, all of you. And "WTF is curl" is a stupid question. I know
that you are running linux.

It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
newsgroup.

$ man curl
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:51:33 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>> It sounds like the http headers it generates have a) incorrect mime
>> types and b) incorrect time stamps for at least some files some of the
>> time.
>
> Nope:
>
> sherm$ curl --head
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband...
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:57:59 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
> Last-Modified: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:28:27 GMT
> ETag: "16cad20-d2add-4253b9cb"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

Well, that doesn't make any sense, unless the server's already been
fixed in the recommended way. With a proper timestamp it won't be
trumped by a cached version after it's been updated by a proper browser,
and with a proper mime type in the header the file won't be encoded
wrongly (or worse, opened in the browser window as a page full of
gobbledygook) when downloaded in a proper browser. Apparently someone
with Firefox had problems however. (Someone having problems in IE would
just make me suspect IE shoddiness, and not server-side shoddiness;
someone having problems in Firefox and problems reported with multiple
vendors' browsers leads me to suspect server-side shoddiness.)

I'd guess it was server-side shoddiness, perhaps caused by IIS and
perhaps not, but the problems had already been fixed (and IIS, if
present, replaced with the world's only recommended web server software)
between the problems occurring and this discussion arising.

April 8, 2005 2:00:50 AM

Twisted One wrote:

> I'd guess it was server-side shoddiness, perhaps caused by IIS and
> perhaps not

What do you mean, "perhaps"? Can't you read? Netcraft has records for
that host all the way back to November 2000. It's been on Solaris for at
least that long.

sherm--

April 8, 2005 2:06:10 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>> I'd guess it was server-side shoddiness, perhaps caused by IIS and
>> perhaps not
>
> What do you mean, "perhaps"? Can't you read? Netcraft has records for
> that host all the way back to November 2000. It's been on Solaris for at
> least that long.

I can read, but I don't trust you, since you're a complete stranger and
exhibiting hostility to boot. The latter in particular indicates you may
have ulterior motives. I don't know what "Netcraft" is, or even if it
truly exists; you could easily have falsified that stuff. Assuming you
didn't, it's still not proof of anything, just hearsay. Regardless of
which, if it is true, there's the matter of why an RFC-compliant browser
would mangle a zip file on download that had the proper mime type in the
HTTP headers. Or more to the point, the fact that it wouldn't. Whenever
the problem was occurring with the zip file being corrupted in transit,
the mime type the server gave for that URL must not have been
"application/zip". If it is now, and we only have your word for that,
then it has changed since the time the problem occurred. (If only IE
users had reported problems that would be a different matter -- IE is
well known to behave shoddily, including in the particular case of
clicking links to files with proper mime type info but an extension not
familiar to the user's Windows box. If they don't have WinXP or Winzip,
..zip files included.)

April 8, 2005 3:03:17 AM

Twisted One wrote:

> I can read

Then why won't you? Too lazy, perhaps?

> but I don't trust you

You don't need to. Get off your lazy butt, run curl, and have a look at
the headers for yourself.

> since you're a complete stranger and
> exhibiting hostility to boot.

You reap what you sow. Your posting record here speaks for itself -
you're quick to jump to conclusions, refuse to do your own research,
take offense at the slightest imagined provocation, etc., etc.

If you don't want hostility directed your way, don't invite it.

> have ulterior motives. I don't know what "Netcraft" is, or even if it
> truly exists; you could easily have falsified that stuff.

Get off your lazy butt and do a little research, then. Netcraft has been
around for years. Anyone with half a clue knows who they are and what
they do. The fact that you haven't heard of Netcraft says more about you
than it does about them.

What's more, you don't have "only" my own word, or Netcraft's. If you
weren't too lazy to do so, you can easily verify the MIME type for yourself.

Neo, do you have anything useful to say?

sherm--

April 8, 2005 3:30:45 AM

Well, I assumed you had ubuntu linux, since you were extolling its many
virtues in a different thread.

Anyway, if you don't, googling for curl man page works pretty well.
And googling for curl+cygwin shows a lot of hits too.... (You MUST
have cygwin installed, if you are a linux fan!)
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:26:25 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 21:27:04 -0700, "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Enough, all of you. And "WTF is curl" is a stupid question. I know
>that you are running linux.
>

>It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
>newsgroup.
>
>$ man curl

Please quote what you are replying to for context. Not the *whole
post*, of course, but enough to know what you are responding to, and,
oh, yes, attribute it as well. Now, I can guess who you are replying
to, because his incredible laziness, and stupid questions following
from that laziness, is very well known by now. But if you replying to
something remotely interesting, the lack of context could have been
bothersome.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:26:29 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:03:17 -0400, Sherm Pendley
<spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote:

>Twisted One wrote:
>
>> I can read
>
>Then why won't you? Too lazy, perhaps?

Duh.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:28:34 AM

pete mack wrote:
> Enough, all of you. And "WTF is curl" is a stupid question. I know
> that you are running linux.

That's funny -- it says Windows XP on the box. Are you sure?

Also, the only stupid question is the one that remains unasked.

> It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
> newsgroup.

R /what/ FM?

> $ man curl

Hrm, bad command or filename. So says the MS-DOS Prompt window I tried
it in. ;)

April 8, 2005 4:48:45 AM

Twisted One wrote:

> pete mack wrote:
>
>> It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
>> newsgroup.
>
> R /what/ FM?

Go to <http://www.google.com&gt;, and search for "curl". The *first* hit
says "curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL
syntax". That sounds like a likely candidate, given the context of this
discussion, don't you think?

It's not exactly rocket surgery, Neo.

sherm--

April 8, 2005 4:48:46 AM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:48:45 -0400, Sherm Pendley
<spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote:

>Twisted One wrote:
>
>> pete mack wrote:
>>
>>> It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
>>> newsgroup.
>>
>> R /what/ FM?
>
>Go to <http://www.google.com&gt;, and search for "curl". The *first* hit
>says "curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL
>syntax". That sounds like a likely candidate, given the context of this
>discussion, don't you think?
>
>It's not exactly rocket surgery, Neo.

<idiot boy>
rocket surgery?
</idiot boy>

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:52:55 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>> pete mack wrote:
>>
>>> It's easier to R*T*F*M than to ask a dumb question on an unrelated
>>> newsgroup.
>>
>> R /what/ FM?
>
> Go to <http://www.google.com&gt;, and search for "curl".

On your say-so? After you attacked me without provocation? And when you
didn't even say "please"? I don't think so.

April 8, 2005 5:46:19 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:

[Attempt to emasculate me deleted]

> If I killfiled you I wouldn't get to keep laughing at you.

If you killfiled me everyone else in the newsgroup would breathe a sigh
of relief. On the other hand, you're too selfish and curmudgeonly a
bastard to do anything of the sort, as has sadly become all too apparent.

[Remainder snipped -- more pathetic attempts at emasculating metaphors
-- like that would work on a *computer geek* -- maybe the pro football
player in your town would start worrying he won't get as many girls now
he's been associated with anything puffy and cute, but it won't work on
me. Plus the usual sad assortment of trivial insults, and of course the
spammy tagline that ends all of sherm's posts. And of course, like all
of sherm's posts, it's all 100% off topic for whatever group it's posted
in.]

April 8, 2005 7:39:45 AM

R. Dan Henry wrote:

> <idiot boy>
> rocket surgery?
> </idiot boy>

It came from the Star Trek episode where they had to reprogram a
sentient missile or some such thing. I was watching it with friends, and
one of them jokingly asked "is that rocket science or brain surgery,"
and I replied "Both - It's rocket surgery!" Been using it ever since...

sherm--

April 8, 2005 8:08:24 AM

On 2005-03-31 21:26:21, avh@softalk.ws (Tony Holmes) wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>
> Tony
> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

Actually I wouldnt mind taking part in this. I couldnt download the file for
some reason, could you email it to me?

sevdb@nospam.bigpond.net.au

Just take out the nospam :)

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:03:17 -0400, Sherm Pendley
> <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote:
>
>>Twisted One wrote:
>>
>>>I can read
>>
>>Then why won't you? Too lazy, perhaps?
>
> Duh.

My, how gratuitous. Who invited you into this thread? I thought you'd
killfiled me and had done with it. :p

April 8, 2005 9:35:51 AM

pete mack wrote:
> Well, I assumed you had ubuntu linux, since you were extolling its many
> virtues in a different thread.

Secondhand knowledge. XP and dual boot don't mix, or so I've heard, and
I currently don't have a sacrificial box handy whose hard drive I can
erase without qualms.

> And googling for curl+cygwin shows a lot of hits too.... (You MUST
> have cygwin installed, if you are a linux fan!)

I do, but the web download util in it is named wget.

April 8, 2005 9:38:24 AM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> But if you replying to
> something remotely interesting, the lack of context could have been
> bothersome.

If it is not "remotely interesting", why are you following up, including
the inevitable potshots, and generally being a boor and a pedant in an
off-topic thread?

April 8, 2005 9:39:35 AM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 00:48:45 -0400, Sherm Pendley
> <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote:
>

>>Twisted One wrote:

>>>R /what/ FM?
>>
>>Go to <http://www.google.com&gt;, and search for "curl". The *first* hit
>>says "curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL
>>syntax". That sounds like a likely candidate, given the context of this
>>discussion, don't you think?
>>
>>It's not exactly rocket surgery, Neo.
>
> <idiot boy>
> rocket surgery?
> </idiot boy>

<retarded peDANtic HENRY>
It's rocket *science* you dumbass, don't you know English, or are you
just too lazy to use a dictionary, numbskull?!
</retarded peDANtic HENRY>

(Hey -- turnabout's fair play!)

April 8, 2005 9:40:53 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> It came from the Star Trek episode where they had to reprogram a
> sentient missile or some such thing. I was watching it with friends, and
> one of them jokingly asked "is that rocket science or brain surgery,"
> and I replied "Both - It's rocket surgery!" Been using it ever since...

Gee, thanks. Now that brilliant Voyager episode is forever tainted in my
mind by unwelcome and unpleasant associations with an unwelcome and
unpleasant personage -- namely, you. :p

April 8, 2005 12:23:57 PM

Harriet Bazley wrote:

> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"

There's been a lot of discussion, and a bit of a flame war, below. It
looks like the competition server is serving the save file as text/plain
- if RISC OS makes a distinction between text and binary files, that
might be causing the problem you're seeing.

I've posted a gzipped copy of the save file on my site at:
<http://www.dot-app.org/competition30_savefile.gz&gt;

Feel free to give it a try.

sherm--

April 8, 2005 12:30:18 PM

In article <z8WdnW_pfY2NkcvfRVn-tw@rogers.com>, Twisted One wrote:
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>> Twisted One wrote:
>>> *You* attacked *me*, remember?
>>
>> No, I disagreed with your theory...
>
> You did not do so civilly however. You basically said "HEY EVERYONE!
> LOOK! I ALWAYS SUSPECTED THIS GUY WAS AN IDIOT AND HERE'S THE PROOF!"

If the cap fits.

> Said "proof" being something you may well have made up on the spot for
> all anyone knows. I for one don't trust a word of it, since you use it
> to try to "prove" that I'm a moron and I know damn well that I am not.
>
> Also, the theory is practically unassailable. How can a server function

Your theory was that the server was running IIS.
This was shown to be completely false.
You then starting blustering about how people must be faking up data to show
you up.
You were wrong, accept it and move on.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:30:19 PM

Paul Murray wrote:

> Your theory was that the server was running IIS.
> This was shown to be completely false.

Logic doesn't support the theory of a misconfigured server *or* browser,
anyway. If the file were being corrupted in transit, I would think that
would be immediately evident when you attempted to unzip it; wouldn't
most unzip apps complain when a broken or corrupted .zip file failed its
CRC check?

I think it's more likely that the contents of the .zip file are broken
in a way that's independent of how the .zip is being delivered. Logic
suggests viewing the archiving apps that were used to create and unzip
the archive as potential suspects.

At this point I'm guessing though - I don't have a RISC OS machine, and
I have no idea what archiving apps are popular in that world. If there
are alternative apps available, it might be useful to take a straw poll
to see if everyone who's had problems is using the same one.

sherm--