Sign in with
Your question

Need buying advice

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 27, 2010 7:40:00 AM

Greetings everyone,

I'm going back to school this winter and need a laptop to replace my 2006 MacBook. I'm looking Windows this time around, mainly due to pricing and what I want -- nothing less than 15" screen, blu-ray, at least 720p screen... on a budget of $1000-13000 including taxes, shipping, etc.

What will I be doing with it you ask? I'm going back to school for Interactive Media and will be using Adobe's Master Suite and MS Office. When I'm not doing that, I plan on using it with iTunes, Rhapsody, Pandora, WoW: Cataclysm, Civ 5, The Sims 3 + Expansions, creating some videos and organizing my photos.

For this I have been thinking my best first option would be something with a Core i7 and at *least* a Mobility 5650 or 330M... the closer I can get to a 460M the better though.

I have been looking mainly at two systems... the HP dv7-4197cl at Sam's Club or the Toshiba Qosmio X505-894 .

I would like the price and battery closer to the HP with more of the features (read: better graphics) of the Qosmio. But I'm just not sure about finding such a laptop. I am hoping to buy this weekend while the prices are great, but also realize that if I need to go the route of the Qosmio I may need to wait a few more weeks.

Any guidance or help on which direction I should go would be great. Perhaps for my use a 460M or an i7 would be overkill... I am most certainly open to advice!

More about : buying advice

!